• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anglo-Italian Cup

Irish_Shrimper

Ant from across the Pond
Have been looking at the Anglo-Italian Cup, as part of my studies on those adorable little footie hooligans from the south of Italy recently, and whilst i'm not discussing anything to do with Southend, I'm still interested to hear of how they did in the cup.

Anyone off here see the mighty Shrimpers in Europe? Any good stories to tell? Any trouble break out?

I went to the Fiorentina game - a few stories to tell from that but I'm supposed to be working right now and it may take some time to post up. I'll try to recall from the memory bank over the weekend and come back to you on that. No trouble to recall though, just good natured drunken antics!

More trouble between the players than the fans .
Ricky Otto threatened with a hammer by an Italian player and David Howells protecting him during the Fry reign

I went to the Fiorentina game - a few stories to tell from that but I'm supposed to be working right now and it may take some time to post up. I'll try to recall from the memory bank over the weekend and come back to you on that. No trouble to recall though, just good natured drunken antics!
I was there too...great stadium, but how weird were the seats, just bits of plastic stuck onto concrete!!

How boring was it spending all day walking round Florence, and how scary was it landing back at Southend Airport, really didn't think the plane would stop before the end of the runway!!

Oh, the game was good as well, shame Batistuta spoiled it with 2 goals!

I was there too...great stadium, but how weird were the seats, just bits of plastic stuck onto concrete!!

How boring was it spending all day walking round Florence, and how scary was it landing back at Southend Airport, really didn't think the plane would stop before the end of the runway!!

Oh, the game was good as well, shame Batistuta spoiled it with 2 goals!

Yeah, Florence eh? It's got nothing on the Renaissance splendours of Southend.

Yeah, Florence eh? It's got nothing on the Renaissance splendours of Southend.
Oh, don't get me wrong, the architecture was amazing, I was just bored after seeing so many buildings! I was only about 23 or 24 at the time so was too young to fully appreciate the city of Florence!

Have been looking at the Anglo-Italian Cup, as part of my studies on those adorable little footie hooligans from the south of Italy recently, and whilst i'm not discussing anything to do with Southend, I'm still interested to hear of how they did in the cup.

Anyone off here see the mighty Shrimpers in Europe? Any good stories to tell? Any trouble break out?

I went to both Fiorentina (0-3) & Cosenza (2-1). However, as everyone should know - what goes on tour stays on on tour ;)

Seriously, though, I was in a group with Libertine for the Fiorentina game & we flew to Rome, with Kenya Airways(!!!), then got a train to Florence. It was great fun waiting for our train at Rome station because it was rush hour & we got to look at all the upmarket Italian totty on their way to work!

On our trip to Cosenza we again flew to Rome with Kenya Airways & then got a hire car for the 6 hour drive to Cosenza, which is in the south of Italy.

There was no real trouble. The locals were very friendly & when we were in the Florence the Fiorentina supporters club invited us into their bar where we drank with them & swapped shirts.

The only (slight) problem we had was one night in Rome when the local Police, armed with machine guns, held us up against a wall because they thought we'd just trashed a bar that we hadn't actually been anywhere near. Some quick thinking by the late, great Paul Holland (RIP) diffused the situation & we were soon 'released'!

Also, on one of the trips, we met some Portsmouth fans in Rome, who were going to their game in, I think, Pescara. One of those was the famous Pompey John. Numbers were exchanged & we met up with them a few times in the following years. Good bunch of lads.

As many on here will know, that season we reached the English Final of the competition, beating Notts County 1-0 at home but losing 0-1 away, eventually going out 3-4 on penalties. Had we won, we'd have been in the International Final at Wembley! In the end Brescia beat Notts County 1-0.

Ant, what's your second tag got to do with this thread?!

You know...the link between the Anglo Italian Cup and big jugs? :D

Great account of the away trip. Didn't realise Southend played Cosenza...they are one of the teams I'm looking at in the South of Italy, along with Vigor Lamezia and Catanzaro.

The first final between Napoli and Swindon looked like an absolute right barrel of laughs, with the way that finished. Nice to hear the cup wasn't all seat chucking and fisticuffs :D

My memory may be playing tricks on me, but didn't a couple of supporters drive to Fiorentina in a relient robin that got a few lines in the national press.

I remember the Notts home game. Scully had been sold that afternoon IIRC. They scored early on and time wasted for the rest of the game.

We have seat like that here in Malta. I remember a couple of years back when Malta held Croatia to a draw in a Euro 2006 qualifier. Croatia needed the win and their fans started ripping the 'seat' up and throwing them at the police.

Problem with seats like that is people tread all over them to get up and down the stand.

It was also the same competition that saw Pierluigi Collina grace the turf at Roots Hall, as the deal was English officials were used in Italy and Italian officials in England. I remember seeing him thinking how scary he looked and not surprised no one gave him grief.

What a load of pap. How old do you have to be to appreciate a beautiful city then?

Some people do appreciate that sort of thing at an early age, some people as they mature learn to appreciate it and some have no real interest. While I thought some of the buildings were amazing, there was only so much walking around and looking at buildings you can do, especially when all you really wanna do is get to the stadium and watch the Blues play.

As for architrcture, the Pyramids fascinate me, an amazing building considering how big they are and how much ent into building them. They had no cranes etc back then, awesome engineering!

I remember gracing a fine hostlery on the side of the river in Florence,with a few deviants and Miss Moyet and her chap for wine and beer.Got a great picture of 2 police women.

Back