• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

galvatron1983

Schoolboy
Living in Stratford (East Laaaaaandan) I encounter a lot of West Ham fans. My impression is they all share a soft spot for Southend. I was in the a shop the other day sporting an SUFC home shirt when a hammers fan was in the queue next to me. I saw he had a hammers cap on and out of the corner of my eye I saw him clock the badge on my shirt. He randomly blurted out at me "How'd your boys do then??". I said we lost one nil yesterday. He said the hammers won, I pretended to sound interested, then he said he always looked out for our scores. I said thanks. A few days later a bloke that runs the football memorabilia stall in the Stratford centre clocked my Southend shirt. I got the same question, and the conversation was pretty much a replica of the previous one. He said he looked for our score every weekend. Each time I felt they saw SUFC as the cute little brother of West Ham, clearly unaware that we really don't like them.

Anybody else have similar encounters???

I've travelled on the all sortsa train lines with my Southend shirt and been approached by a few West Ham supporters interested and making a chat about football and how were doing. I personally don't hate west ham, think it's a bit of a rebellious arrogance by a few southend fans saying were rivals with West Ham, were clearly not rivals.....Quite local though.

I grew up in Wickford and my class was full of West Ham. I've always hated them but my best mates are Hammers and they'd come and watch Southend with me. Even buying replica shirts. I never let them know my full loathing of West Ham. But I've always found West Ham fans like Southend. Maybe it's because they all live in Essex and should support the local team. One thing I love about West Ham fans is how much they hate Spurs but Spurs couldn't give a f... about them because they're to interested in hating Arsenal.

I work on Canvey, me and Zoner czabby are the only SUFC fans in the office -- surrounded by half a dozen Hammers fans --- all who show a keen interest in our club and results. I think it stems from when the poor EastEnders used to come to Southend for holidays and day-trips.

Knees up Muvver Braaaan. Gor Blimey Guv'nor.

west ham fans from east london with a soft spot for southend I can live with but west ham fans from south east essex with a soft spot for southend....:flamer:

I grew up in Wickford and my class was full of West Ham. I've always hated them but my best mates are Hammers and they'd come and watch Southend with me. Even buying replica shirts. I never let them know my full loathing of West Ham. But I've always found West Ham fans like Southend. Maybe it's because they all live in Essex and should support the local team. One thing I love about West Ham fans is how much they hate Spurs but Spurs couldn't give a f... about them because they're to interested in hating Arsenal.

Unfortunately your love for their hate of Spurs is exactly the same to Southend's hate of West Ham. West Ham fans are way too interested in hating Millwall and Spurs.

Unfortunately your love for their hate of Spurs is exactly the same to Southend's hate of West Ham. West Ham fans are way too interested in hating Millwall and Spurs.

To be fair, I think Southend fans dislike of West Ham largely arises not because of any delusions about them being rivals on the field but because of so many people from Southend and surrounding area choosing to support the Spammers instead of their local team.

Did no-one else noticed that both the guys in the original post said they looked out for our results, but still had to ask how we did .... :unsure:

Back