• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Another bloody Goater thread

Hong Kong Blue

Am I the only one who isn't getting worried at the prospect of us missing out on signing an aging has-been?

Sorry for not being seduced by the name, but I'm more concerned in a player's future, not a player's past.
I don't want us to sign players who are living off their reputation, I want players who are playing to create themselves a reputation.

Every time a player who did something useful 3 years ago, becomes available there's a huge clamour to sign them up. But why would a Beckett or a Goater want to join us over any other club in the chase for their signature? Neither have any connection with the area, for both it would be a step down so its hardly a question of proving themself, so the only reason would be for money (and well done Beckett for turning us down). I don't want mercanaries only playing for a pay-cheque. I like the hunger and the desire shown by the current squad and don't think its worth risking that by signing some big name prima-donna.

The prospect of some has-been coming to Southend to pick up their pay packet whilst spending half their time in the treatment room doesn't feel me with excitement. I don't think we need another goalscorer (other than as cover), we need someone for Freddy to play off. We don't want to feed the Goat, we want to feed Freddy.

I think Tilly, Brush and Martin have more than proved themselves. Even Barry Fry made bad signings for us (Joe Allon anyone...), but hand on heart, I dont think anyone of us can say that since Tilly has been in charge our signings havent added to the quality of the squad.

If we bring in Goater, or Oli, I think we should be happy that the right choice has been made by the club based on their recent dealings.

Personally I am not bothered either way, I dont rate The Goat these day's and think maybe he's playing on his name and previous exploits a bit, to get an over exaggerated deal somewhere, but if Tilly and Brushy think he can do a good job for us, then as previously mentioned I have complete and utter faith in them.

rock.gif

Bradford are the latest Club to be interested to sign him.

Don't know if this was mentioned elsewhere but Beckett did his knee ligaments in an friendly for Oldham and will probably be out for the season.

Seems strange that at least 3 people would report seeing Goater at Roots Hall yesterday if there wasnt some truth in it. Unless he is unveiled today though I think we can count it out.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kenny @ July 29 2005,12:07)]Don't know if this was mentioned elsewhere but Beckett did his knee ligaments in an friendly for Oldham and will probably be out for the season.
Did you know the wheel was invented as well. Keep up fella, only 2 or 3 threads about it
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ July 29 2005,11:49)]I'm more concerned in a player's future, not a player's past.
I don't want us to sign players who are living off their reputation, I want players who are playing to create themselves a reputation.
All very admirable, Matthew.

How do you explain the fact that the young, up & coming Brett Angell only really thrived because he had the experienced and canny Ian Benjamin next to him...?

rock.gif

It's all well and good having the young tyros out there, but the odd wise head doesn't go amiss either...

rock.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ July 29 2005,11:54)]I think Tilly, Brush and Martin have more than proved themselves. Even Barry Fry made bad signings for us (Joe Allon anyone...), but hand on heart, I dont think anyone of us can say that since Tilly has been in charge our signings havent added to the quality of the squad.

If we bring in Goater, or Oli, I think we should be happy that the right choice has been made by the club based on their recent dealings.
Barry Fry's transfer approach was to sign as many players as possible and hope that at least some of them would turn out to be good.

Even Webby made some shocking buys for every Chris Powell, Simon Royce, Steve Tilson, Tes Bramble and Andy Ansah there was a Mario Walsh, Kevin O'Callaghan, Darryl Flahavan, Shane Wardley or Tony Richards.

Tilly and Brush have done a great job in the transfer market, but they are bound to make the odd duff signing once in a while.

Anyhow, this thread wasn't about Tilly's transfer record, it was about people creaming their pants at Southend being linked with Shaun Goater.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ July 29 2005,12:20)][Even Webby made some shocking buys for every Chris Powell, Simon Royce, Steve Tilson, Tes Bramble and Andy Ansah there was a Mario Walsh, Kevin O'Callaghan, Darryl Flahavan, Shane Wardley or Tony Richards.
In the words of Messrs Armstrong & Sinatra...

"Gone Fishin'..."

laugh.gif

If Goater does come in then it may well be only for a season or two but our forwards will defo learn something from him as he has scored more goals on his own than the rest of our squad.

I know he is in the twilight of his career but having his name on the teamsheet may instill a bit of panic in the defenders of the opposing team as they know they will have there hands full with his power and reputation for scoring goals.

I fill if we can sign goater then him and Fredy up front will be a potent partnership this season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Even Webby made some shocking buys for every Chris Powell, Simon Royce, Steve Tilson, Tes Bramble and Andy Ansah there was a Mario Walsh, Kevin O'Callaghan, Darryl Flahavan, Shane Wardley or Tony Richards.

I tend to agree with quite a lot of your posts normally HKB but this bit was ridiculous. How can you put Tes Bramble among a list of good buys? He was a very average player than could be a decent player if he could be arsed, which most of the time he couldn't.

Similairly, how can you place Darryl is the list of bad buys? His clocked up near enough 200 games under 4 different managers, surely they can't all be wrong?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimper magic @ July 29 2005,12:24)]If Goater does come in then it may well be only for a season or two but our forwards will defo learn something from him as he has scored more goals on his own than the rest of our squad.

I know he is in the twilight of his career but having his name on the teamsheet may instill a bit of panic in the defenders of the opposing team as they know they will have there hands full with his power and reputation for scoring goals.

I fill if we can sign goater then him and Fredy up front will be a potent partnership this season.
With a midfield that'll contain four of Mark Gower, Mitchell Cole, Kevin Maher, Mark Bentley, Luke Guttridge, Jay Smith and Carl Petterfer, the potential partnership of Goater and Eastwood would get decent service and both of them know how to score, so its fair to say it could be a very productive partnership.

Surely it's all about moving the team forward as a whole, and if Leonard can help in that, then all well and good. We know Freddy's not quite the finished article, but look how much he learned and developed playing in last season's team. Imagine how much better he could become by learning from someone who's been there, seen it, bought the t-shirt?

And I agree with shrimper magic, his reputation might just instil that little bit more panic in the opposition defence.

I think he's worth a try, only if the price is right of course.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ July 29 2005,12:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Even Webby made some shocking buys for every Chris Powell, Simon Royce, Steve Tilson, Tes Bramble and Andy Ansah there was a Mario Walsh, Kevin O'Callaghan, Darryl Flahavan, Shane Wardley or Tony Richards.

I tend to agree with quite a lot of your posts normally HKB but this bit was ridiculous. How can you put Tes Bramble among a list of good buys? He was a very average player than could be a decent player if he could be arsed, which most of the time he couldn't.

Similairly, how can you place Darryl is the list of bad buys? His clocked up near enough 200 games under 4 different managers, surely they can't all be wrong?
Hook, line....

oops.gif

Just to add to the discussion, working in Maidenhead as I do (when not fighting the forces of darkness throughout the Universe), there are a number of Reading fans - two of which are capable of holding a sensible footballing discussion. On telling them we were rumoured to be looking at the goat, their usually sensible discussion of a player was replaced almost in unison by "really!!?... he's rrrrrrrruuubbbisssh!!!" Trading on past reputation was very much their view.

HAVING SAID THAT... as always, Tilly and Brush make the decisions. They haven't got too much wrong and if the Goat dons a shirt with our blue hue, he'll get my full support. Feed the Goat and he WILL score!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpbizkit @ July 29 2005,12:11)]Seems strange that at least 3 people would report seeing Goater at Roots Hall yesterday if there wasnt some truth in it. Unless he is unveiled today though I think we can count it out.
Yeah seems odd that he's been spotted so something must of happened yesterday. Can't wait to see him in a southend shirt.  
unclesam.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ July 29 2005,12:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kenny @ July 29 2005,12:07)]Don't know if this was mentioned elsewhere but Beckett did his knee ligaments in an friendly for Oldham and will probably be out for the season.
Did you know the wheel was invented as well. Keep up fella, only 2 or 3 threads about it
tounge.gif
I did try the search function but it didn't throw anything up

Back