• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Another comical error in the programme

Andy_S

Member of the Barry Corr Fan Club
I don't know how many other people have noticed it, but whoever produces the programme has made yet another monumental **** up today.

They've repeated the entire 'Steve Tilson' part in the 'Captain's log' part. So we are forced to do without king Kev's witterings this week.
laugh.gif

Yes I noticed it. But it is a good programme though, gaffe aside.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GeordieDazza @ April 24 2004,22:14)]But it is a good programme though, gaffe aside.
I',m not sure if you go away or not but if you do then by three programmes of the different grounds. You'll realise our programme isn't all that.
Tillys collumn and Mahers collumn are virtually saying the same thing every week and this they say exactly the same!
On Tuesday we had the player of the year malarke. I don't mind Lewis Hunt and Duncan Jupp is good as well but that was taking the ****.
In every programme there are pages and pages of adverts and then massive text on many pages (for example the Community in Football).
All in all the programme is not that good at all.

Only expressing an opinion. I have seen the majority of our games this season - and bought the programme - and I like Southend's. Not as good as Kiddy's or Brizzle Rovers', but good nonetheless.

Ours has loads of adverts as well. And errors.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ April 24 2004,21:49)]I don't know how many other people have noticed it, but whoever produces the programme has made yet another monumental **** up today.

They've repeated the entire 'Steve Tilson' part in the 'Captain's log' part. So we are forced to do without king Kev's witterings this week.  
laugh.gif
Because Kevin Maher REALLY wtrites that article anyway!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matty the Shrimper @ April 24 2004,22:39)]In every programme there are pages and pages of adverts and then massive text on many pages (for example the Community in Football).
Just read the programme a bit more that what i read at the ground and it is Football in the Community, and the font that it is wrote in is small, compared to the SUSCT page! Also adverts are needed to keep the cost down.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ April 25 2004,08:25)]Also adverts are needed to keep the cost down.
Next time you go into the club shop. By one of the Northampton programmes. The tell me what the better programme is. They don't have advert upon advert, they don't have massive text and i would imagine the articles are actually written properly.

No way does it cost anywhere near £2.50 to produce the Southend programe. In my view, the club use it to get money out of advertisers, and exploit the loyalty of the supporters, who feel almost duty bound to buy one for every game.

After Tuesday's sorry excuse for a programme it'll be a long time bfore I'm tempted to part with any more money for such tat.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hamstring @ April 25 2004,09:30)] In my view, the club use it to get money out of advertisers, and exploit the loyalty of the supporters, who feel almost duty bound to buy one for every game.
Well duh.
But lets be honest a football club is a business and you would expect them to try and make as much money as possible, especially in this day of everyone struggling.

I rarely buy the SUFC programme but did yesterday, and noticed that comical error. Our programme is awful compared to other div 3 ones I've bought, too many adverts.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matty the Shrimper @ April 25 2004,09:20)]Next time you go into the club shop. By one of the Northampton programmes.
Yes? What's "by one of the Northampton programmes"? I'm intrigued. A large popsicle? A huge melon with studs? A spam fritter with cheese topping? Please tell ... what's by the Northampton programmes?

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (east stand drummer boy @ April 25 2004,22:49)]When Rob NEwman was in charge chris phillips write that coloumn
Ever thought of getting someone literate to write yours?

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Yorkshire Bambi @ April 25 2004,12:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hamstring @ April 25 2004,09:30)] In my view, the club use it to get money out of advertisers, and exploit the loyalty of the supporters, who feel almost duty bound to buy one for every game.
Well duh.
But lets be honest a football club is a business and you would expect them to try and make as much money as possible, especially in this day of everyone struggling.
Actually, more 'duh' you for buying and accepting such tat in the name of loyalty.

Funnily enough, I wouldn't mind paying £2.50 if there was a preponderance of interesting stuff other than an away team guide, glossy ads, ridiculous errors and pages of 'aren't our sponsors fantastic' guff.

Still, if you're happy to part with your money is the misguided belief that supporter exploitation is a good thing who am I to argue?  But, strange as it may seem, I'd rather pay £3 for a decent read than £2.50 for unadulterated c.rap.

We're all happy to complain about the quality of the programme (and let's face it, it has more than it's fair share of errors), but what I find funny is that most of the posts on this threads have about as many errors as the programme!

Pots and kettles? If we can't even get one paragraph each correct, what gives us the right to complain?!!

And, yes, i'm sure there are errors in this as well. I am not trying to holier than thou, I am just pointing out we are not perfect ourselves.

Let's give the club a break, they don't employ professional journalists and editors, they do this themselves. Yes, they make mistakes, but at least they make an effort. And let's also remember, the mistakes themselves are a good laugh!

We don't charge everyone else £2.50 a throw to read our meanderings and we don't employ a proof reader to check our spelling and grammar. The club does for their programme.

I don't see why the club should get away with producing such rubbish wilst charging so much for it and believe it to be a valid talking point. Or is it wrong for someone to air their views on a publc forum regarding Southend United issues in case we come across 'holier than thou'?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hamstring @ April 26 2004,10:02)]We don't charge everyone else £2.50 a throw to read our meanderings
Maybe we should do- at the moment three of us are shelling out for the server- maybe this way we can recoup some of that?

tounge.gif

BTW, the club doesn't employ a proofreader. Someone is in charge of the programme but I would be amazed if he proof read the contents.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ April 26 2004,10:08)]Why don't you start a fanzine to rival it then?

(proofread for errors)
It's been mooted, but the organisation needed would be a Herculean task. We have been asked time and time again if we were doing something like that, but none of us have the time or resources in all honesty. Especially not now with me starting a new job next week and Mike in Spain.

Getting writers wouldn't be a problem- getting volunteers to sell, organising printing and the overall administration would.

Maybe I have. Maybe I'm already getting quotes from printers about print run costs. Maybe it will indeed be a damn sight better than the club programme, where the humour will be intentional, for a lot less. Maybe it will also have a Scots Gaelic print run as well .....

Back