• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Another crap bit of UK Justice

Vange Shrimper

Mrs Rock God
A woman who ran over and killed her fiance after a day drinking has been jailed for three years for causing death by dangerous driving.

Caroline Broad, 41, of Padfield Terrace, Twerton, Bath, drove into Christopher Phillips, 40, outside the city's Full Moon pub in August 2008.

Bristol Crown Court heard that Broad was three-and-a-half times the drink-drive limit.

Broad was also disqualified from driving for five years.

She was ordered to retake her driving test before being allowed behind the wheel again.

Sorry but this annoyed me. If this happened in America, she would have been banged up for a lot longer.

Anyone else have opinions on this?

Yes,

****ed up or otherwise women are a menace on the roads and should all be banned :p

This reminds me of the absolutely fantastic Amateur Transplants version of the Sheilas Wheels ad

I'll post up the youtube link when i get home, unless someone can add it for me earlier ?? :unsure: priceless comedy :cool:

It's just another poor decision by the judicial system, it's possibly one of the most corrupt or dis-organised organisations or systems in the country. Things like this should warrant life to put other people off, giving them 3 years isn't going to affect her left. The judges need to be harsher and send people down for longer. If there's no room in the Prison's, then make some. Get rid of the petty crimes that people are in for that they shouldn't even have gone to court for and build a couple more prisons. Why not build a man made Island in the Bristol Channel and have a British Alcatraz where all the dangerous people can go, leaving room in the less secure prisons for other people to be placed.

It's just another poor decision by the judicial system, it's possibly one of the most corrupt or dis-organised organisations or systems in the country. Things like this should warrant life to put other people off, giving them 3 years isn't going to affect her left. The judges need to be harsher and send people down for longer. If there's no room in the Prison's, then make some. Get rid of the petty crimes that people are in for that they shouldn't even have gone to court for and build a couple more prisons. Why not build a man made Island in the Bristol Channel and have a British Alcatraz where all the dangerous people can go, leaving room in the less secure prisons for other people to be placed.

Shrimper check your history pre 1900's this is exactly what judges did do , it didn't work it dosnt work , what our judiciary do and very well is look at each individual case and judge it on its evidence and merits. In this case it was propably found she had not meant to willifully kill her fiance so should at least have been manslaughter (this dangerous driving debate has been going on for a long time but thats a differnet kettle of fish).

Don't know about a man made island, but we've tried similar schemes before (utilising an island in the Pacific/Indian Oceans) and it would be hard to call it a success. We still can't get rid of the ****ers, who somehow seem to make it back to the motherland on a regular basis.

I know we dumped them on some Island in Australasia, now they're sodding beating us at Cricket, the cheek of them. I just think that the Government should stop moaning about the lack of Prison spaces and actually something productive about it.

It's just another poor decision by the judicial system, it's possibly one of the most corrupt or dis-organised organisations or systems in the country.

Ladies and gentlemen. To support this argument I give you Ernest Saunders. The only person in the world to have made a succesful full recovery from Alzheimer's Disease.

Ladies and gentlemen. To support this argument I give you Ernest Saunders. The only person in the world to have made a succesful full recovery from Alzheimer's Disease.

To be fair this was in 1991 and the law courts and judges have changed since then (i.e 18 years ago), The judges are no longer out of touch or as senile

It's just another poor decision by the judicial system, it's possibly one of the most corrupt or dis-organised organisations or systems in the country.

Bloody hell, where do I start? I'm sorry, but I must completely disagree with the above statement. On what possible basis do you suggest that the judiciary is either corrupt or disorganised? Where is your proof of that?

If you are referring to the case involving Caroline Broad, she will have been prosecuted for death by dangerous driving - an offence regulated by statute (Road Traffic Act 1988) which, it may have escaped your attention, is passed by Parliament, not the judiciary.

Next, you may wish to consider the sentencing guidelines set down by the Crown Prosecution Service - a body which is a non-ministerial department of the crown... i.e. the government. Again, not the judiciary.

So, although this was a tragic case in many respects, the judge decided the case entirely within the guidelines set down by the two other branches of the state - Parliament, and the Crown - and in that respect it is difficult to find any fault in his judgment or reasoning.

Before you go around lambasting things, can I suggest you do your research first?

Rant over.

Matt

PS Prison is an expensive way to make bad people worse. Our European counterparts (e.g. the Netherlands) who send far fewer people to prison than we do also have far lower rates of criminality. It's not a coincidence.

Last edited:
Back