• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Another Freddy Thread - Is RM Being very Shrewd

Somerset Ex-TTB

Members
Sorry for starting another Freddy thread, but I want to congratulate Ron Martin on his current stance of holding out for more than £1.5m+

We all know that Freddy is worth probably closer to £2.5m if it wasn't for his contract situation, so my thoughts are why not hold out for that at the moment.

I am begginning to thinkt that Freddy may still be here at the start of the season, as it does seem that no other clubs are prepared to pay what RM thinks he is worth.

Now I know you are all going to say, that we will get nothing for him at the end of the season. What about this scenario.

Nobody buys him now, he stays. A little bit p****d but knuckles down and scores 15 goals by January.

This should help us be very near the top of the table pushing for promotion. Either Freddy then signs a new contract in the hope that we will be back in the Championship the year after, or RM then sells him for the £1-£1.5m that we are being offered now.

I am sure that come January, some Championship club pushing for promotion, or Premiership club fighting relegation will shell that out for Freddy despite him only having 6 months left on his contract as their need would be very great at that time, and they could not afford to wait for 2008/09 season.

This could all go pear shaped of course, and Freddy could sulk or get injured, or despite him scoring 15 goals we could of shipped 50 already at the back by Christmas.

I am convinced though, that this is the strategy that RM is playing, get big big bucks for him now, or what we are being offered now in 6 months time.

A very shrewd man is our Uncle Ron.

Sorry for starting another Freddy thread, but I want to congratulate Ron Martin on his current stance of holding out for more than £1.5m+

We all know that Freddy is worth probably closer to £2.5m if it wasn't for his contract situation, so my thoughts are why not hold out for that at the moment.

I am begginning to thinkt that Freddy may still be here at the start of the season, as it does seem that no other clubs are prepared to pay what RM thinks he is worth.

Now I know you are all going to say, that we will get nothing for him at the end of the season. What about this scenario.

Nobody buys him now, he stays. A little bit p****d but knuckles down and scores 15 goals by January.

This should help us be very near the top of the table pushing for promotion. Either Freddy then signs a new contract in the hope that we will be back in the Championship the year after, or RM then sells him for the £1-£1.5m that we are being offered now.

I am sure that come January, some Championship club pushing for promotion, or Premiership club fighting relegation will shell that out for Freddy despite him only having 6 months left on his contract as their need would be very great at that time, and they could not afford to wait for 2008/09 season.

This could all go pear shaped of course, and Freddy could sulk or get injured, or despite him scoring 15 goals we could of shipped 50 already at the back by Christmas.

I am convinced though, that this is the strategy that RM is playing, get big big bucks for him now, or what we are being offered now in 6 months time.

This is just so much speculation. It's like Sliding Doors. Write your own end to the Eastwood story.

Are we not forgetting only a few weeks ago RM stated he is not going anywhere?

Seems very forgetful at times the Chairman and puts words to deflect off his original statement

He's simply trying to get as much money as possible for him. If Ron Martin comes out saying he's gonna let him go no matter what, clubs certainly won't bid £2 million. It's clear Freddy is wanted and so saying he won't let him go will possibly make clubs fight for him more. I'm sure Ron Martin knows what he's doing more than anyone else on here.

He's simply trying to get as much money as possible for him. If Ron Martin comes out saying he's gonna let him go no matter what, clubs certainly won't bid £2 million. It's clear Freddy is wanted and so saying he won't let him go will possibly make clubs fight for him more. I'm sure Ron Martin knows what he's doing more than anyone else on here.

Or is he? Has Ron ever sold a player before?

Personally I think he's doing ok to hold out - there are plenty of clubs still to sell their star striker and will need someone like Freddy as a replacement.

I agree with you mate, but it is so difficult to know what all the different people involved in this saga are thinking

This is my take on RM's strategy.

He wants to keep Freddy and he wants him to sign a new contract.

He'll refuse to sell Freddy in the current transfer window and ask Freddy to sign a new 3 year contract.

By way of a carrot he'll offer to substantially increase Freddy's earning potential throughout the next year but in return he will allow a clause to be inserted that if a club offers a minimum sum of say £2.5million Freddy can talk to them.

The beauty of this is that if RM really has no intention of selling Freddy then Freddy will only be able to increase his earning potential throughout the next year by signing a new contract with an escape clause.

Simple really.

obviously rm doesnt want to sell freddy but i highly doubt he will sign a new contract meaning we will lose him for a free next summe which will be very dissapointing.

the good thing about rm being so determined not to sell freddy is that we really don't want to be like luton and simply sell our best players. this will only end in what happened to them. relegation. when perhaps if they hadn't sold all there best players they may be still in the championship

He'll refuse to sell Freddy in the current transfer window and ask Freddy to sign a new 3 year contract.

By way of a carrot he'll offer to substantially increase Freddy's earning potential throughout the next year but in return he will allow a clause to be inserted that if a club offers a minimum sum of say £2.5million Freddy can talk to them.

The beauty of this is that if RM really has no intention of selling Freddy then Freddy will only be able to increase his earning potential throughout the next year by signing a new contract with an escape clause.

Simple really.

Maybe simple, but way off the mark I feel. If the stories we hear are true, and they are quite believable, Freddy wants to play at a higher level. No increase in wages will change that and he wont sign a new contract. No club wants to keep a player who is unsettled, he wont give of his best and he will upset the other 10 players. A recipe for disaster. Ron is just holding out for more money and Fred will be gone by the end of the month. As someone said, we all have our thoughts on this. I, for one, just want 11 players on the pitch who want to play for SUFC. Ron, get it sorted, quick!

Simple really.

I read in the echo the other day that Freddy said he will definately NOT sign any contract that RM offers him in the interview he did with the echo. So its either sell now for money or sell next season for nothing

Lets face it Freddy wants out and the only real outcome is to sell him now for as much as we can get.

Hopefully Ron will hold out and get 2million + for him.

Theres been two clubs interested and once Billy Sharp signs for someone (if he hasnt already) then Freddy must surely be the best striker in the bottom two divisions and must interest one or two more CCC clubs....

Keep him, if he scores twenty odd goals he might take us back up to cc,how much would that be worth to club. It could ofset selling him for nothing. Then again in the cc he might decide to stay anyway.

Back