• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Another old Shrimpers fan gone - Ken Crowe RIP

Bar na bas

Schoolboy⭐
Hi fellow zoners.

Following my dad's death at the age of 84 a few weeks ago after a lengthy illness, we had his committal and Thanksgiving service today. An amazing send off for an amazing man who helped to shape so many services in Southend, including the Citizens Advice Bureau for many years, MENCAP, Southend Voluntary Workers Bureau, Southend Association of Voluntary Services, Cruse Bereavement Care, Surestart, Fairhavens Hospices and the Rosca Trust. A life of love, commitment and service.

Dad, together with a family friend, introduced me to watching Tottenham In the age of Pat Jennings, Cyril Knowles, Dave Mackay, Steve Perry man, Alan Gilzean, Jimmy Greaves and Martin Chivers, but being Southend locals, we were far more regular visitors to the Hall.

I mentioned in my glowng tribute to my father that there was one thing I sometimes hold against him, which started on 7th March 1969... My first trip to the Hall. Actually, a 4-0 win against Notts County, so a good start, but not all the games were as engaging. As kids, we used the vast spaces of the old South Bank as our playground for chase before kickoff and at half time, and sometimes during matches when the football was not so enjoyable. At times, that enduring love and interest in the Blues has been more of an endurance test, like this season.

But on balance, that introduction to Southend United, over 50 years ago, is yet another reason to say thank you to my father.

Thanks dad for everything!!!

Hi fellow zoners.

Following my dad's death at the age of 84 a few weeks ago after a lengthy illness, we had his committal and Thanksgiving service today. An amazing send off for an amazing man who helped to shape so many services in Southend, including the Citizens Advice Bureau for many years, MENCAP, Southend Voluntary Workers Bureau, Southend Association of Voluntary Services, Cruse Bereavement Care, Surestart, Fairhavens Hospices and the Rosca Trust. A life of love, commitment and service.

Dad, together with a family friend, introduced me to watching Tottenham In the age of Pat Jennings, Cyril Knowles, Dave Mackay, Steve Perry man, Alan Gilzean, Jimmy Greaves and Martin Chivers, but being Southend locals, we were far more regular visitors to the Hall.

I mentioned in my glowng tribute to my father that there was one thing I sometimes hold against him, which started on 7th March 1969... My first trip to the Hall. Actually, a 4-0 win against Notts County, so a good start, but not all the games were as engaging. As kids, we used the vast spaces of the old South Bank as our playground for chase before kickoff and at half time, and sometimes during matches when the football was not so enjoyable. At times, that enduring love and interest in the Blues has been more of an endurance test, like this season.

But on balance, that introduction to Southend United, over 50 years ago, is yet another reason to say thank you to my father.

Thanks dad for everything!!!
Sorry for your loss, your dad will always be with you, like mine in your head and heart

Sorry to hear that Bar na. I lost mine recently too. Some of my fondest memories are of us at roots hall. Win lose or draw we were always together.

Re the question about my dad, his name is Kenneth Crowe, there was article about him in the Echo at the start of the week. He was made an honorary freeman of the Borough back in 2000 for his work and heart for the town, along with about 24 others, including the jazz great Digby Fairweather, and Trevor Bailey (only five left alive now, and 3 of them were at the funeral today). It was a good send off.

Nice to hear it was a good send off, I have found the Echo article you refer to and have posted it up here. Respect to your Dad Ken

Tributes to RAF vet, scouting and charity devotee Kenneth Crowe

228531613.jpg.gallery.jpg
Stalwart - Kenneth Crowe was a RAF veteran from Southend
TRIBUTES have been paid to a war veteran, scout and charity founder from Southend who has died.

Kenneth ‘Ken’ Crowe, 84, was well-known for his work with the Scout Association, Fair Havens Hospice and the help gave young people with learning disabilities.

Following his honeymoon in the 1950s he moved to work at the headquarters of the Scout Association in London where he helped to arrange the annual St George’s Day service at Windsor Castle - and was responsible for overseas contacts and accompanying the Chief Scout Charles Maclean abroad to Scout Jamborees, as well as organising the Jamborees in the UK.

Speaking about his father, Jonathan Crowe said: “He loved this job, which included responsibilities for training and resourcing the team of staff and volunteers, helping members of the public seeking advice on their problems and services available.

“Although there were many good organisations and charities in Southend already, Kenneth had the knack of seeing people’s needs, and finding ways to help set up new organisations to meet those needs.

“He was involved in setting up Southend Association for Voluntary Services, Southend Voluntary Workers Bureau, the Zimbabwean Network and Southend Christian Counselling Service, and local branches of Surestart and CRUSE Bereavement Care.”

Born in Edith Road, Southend, in 1935, Mr Crowe was evacuated to Derbyshire during the Second World War. He attended Chalkwell Junior School and Westcliff High School for Boys upon his return.

He then served in the Royal Air Force in Germany and was always keen to be involved in scouting. While in Germany, he set up a cub pack for the children of forces families.

He was discharged from the RAF at the end of his National Service in June 1957 and married his partner Barbara in September 1957.

Ken and Barbara had three children - Jonathan, Debbie and Stephen. He left the scouting job in 1972 and began work for Southend Citizens Advice Bureau and Guild of Help.

After the birth of Stephen with Down’s syndrome in 1964, Ken and Barbara were inspired to become involved in helping to shape services for people with learning disabilities in the town.

Ken served for a lengthy period as secretary of Mencap and was the driving force behind setting up the Mencap Homes Foundation, which provided community-based housing for people with learning disabilities.

After 12 years, Ken applied for the newly created role of administrator at Fair Havens Hospice, of which Barbara was a founder member of the board of trustees.

He retired aged 65 in 2000, and later that year he was awarded the Freedom of the Borough of Southend.

Jonathan added: “Throughout his life, Kenneth was a committed Christian with a strong faith, which he lived out as a member of Avenue Baptist Church, where he took on many roles and organised many events.

“He was a popular and much-loved member of the church and will be greatly missed by many. A life very well lived.”

A service of thanksgiving for Ken’s life at Avenue Baptist Church, Milton Road, Westcliff at 2pm on Friday, November 15.

Full Story in Echo

Sorry to hear of your loss, your father sounds to have been an exceptional man who gave so much to the local community. He may have been known to my dad during the Scouting period, as an ADC in the late 60s/early 70s.

Sincere condolences to you & all your family. (If your who i think you are, we were at North St Juniors at the same time.).

Sorry to hear about your father. My parents knew your parents very well in the past through Southend Mencap. Mum was only talking about them recently and how much they had done for others.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I know how you feel. My Dad passed away in July at the age of 86. My greatest moments with him happened over the 50 years we followed the Blues together. Thankfully Dad checked out before clapping eyes on this seasons shower of shxx.

My thoughts with you, my dad passed a way 2 years to the day, but the memory of me, him and my son being there on the night v Man Utd will live for ever

The sad times will past and the smiles will out weight the bad days as time goes on

Back