• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Another refresher as to why we hate West Ham...

Mike, how do you find the supporters in Spain...particularly in 'La Liga'? Is there a hooligan/racism problem as has been well documented?

FWIW, I don't hate West Ham. I hate the plastic fans who genuinely think that because they live in Southend, or South East Essex, that their local team is West Ham. The post from Mr Wooly is spot on, as I was there too. I nearly lost it in there. Singing Irons, etc in the loos at full time was boring, when I said you couldn't even win fairly, the twit replied 'Who the **** are you?'

Who the **** am I? I the bloke who spends thousands of pounds, and travels thousands of miles a season, supporting my local team. (Please don't think that is a I'm the worlds greatest supporter comment, as it's not)

I wonder how many West Ham fans were in Yates watching the game? The Leeds fan that was part of our group agreed, and was just as annoyed.

Mike, how do you find the supporters in Spain...particularly in 'La Liga'? Is there a hooligan/racism problem as has been well documented?

Racism? No. I've not seen it. I'm not saying it doesn't happen - I know it does - but I don't think it's rampant throughout Spain as much of the media suggests. Hooliganism? There was a little bit of a spat between Cadiz and Malaga a couple of weeks ago but it was all a bit of handbags and a confrontation that is steeped in a history outside of football (Cadiz are traditionally French immigrants and the Andalucians have never liked it.) There weren't any reported incidents marking 'El Clasico' (although Barca Blue might be able to tell us more) and in three years of watching Valencia, I've not seen one punch throw in anger *off* the pitch. Again, I'm not saying it doesn't happen; I've just not seen it. If anything, the fighting tends to happen ON the pitch and there are many stories EVERY WEEK which outline confrontations between teams, benches, and/or officials. We had a squabble at our last home game (when we equalised through a very dodgy penalty in the 93rd minute) and, during the same weekend, Altea had a police helicopter land in the middle of the pitch after their match against Torrellano threatened to collapse into all-our war!

It's just me, but I never really get this 'following' other clubs bit, it's Southend United and 100% only them for me, I'm not even bothered about watching England at the weekend (that will start the patriots off!).

I once went to a Forest match (when they got promoted) because I happened to be in Nottingham and it felt completely wrong to be there.

My parents migrated from Islington in the 60's and all support Arsenal, plus we spent a lot of time in London as kids with Uncles and cousins who supported Arsenal. It was therefore natural for me to support them.

However I then got taken to Southend games in 1980/81 by a neighbour and when I was old enough to go to football started going to Southend.

I still follow Arsenal, at one point would have said my passion was even between both however in recent years I have lost interest in the Premiership and Southend are certainly my main club.

Went to Emirates a number of times this year and have to admit felt like I didnt belong !

This will no doubt be the case for a lot of our fans, however if the new ground takes off Southend should be first choice for far more youngsters.

Well, this has stirred up a hornets nest!

You might describe 'bubbles' as 'guff' but at least it is a song with association to one club only. Deep down, dont you wish southend could claim the same?

Why the hell should an east end scummers song is played a full volume at 5.30 in the afternoon in a SOUTHEND pub I just do not know. Just serves as another reason why I hate them nearly as much as Col Ewe.

People say SUFC have their chav element and no doubt they do, however their was not one Spam fan in there who wasn't. Not even 1%. Spam fans are jumped up gobby little sh*tes! I think I've actually even managed to convince myself I hate them more than Col Ewe by the end of this post too!!!

I don't try to convince myself that SUFC are bigger than Spam United, however what does make me laugh is when Spam fans seem to think they should be challenging for the title with the likes of the Mancs and Chelski. They are one club which I would quite happily see go out of existence.

As much as I hate Leeds too, I was quite happily sitting there waiting for them to invade Varsity in their hundreds to put the east end scummers on their a*ses, which would have been the most joyous occasion of the weekend to watch.

Iam looking forward to the day when W@nk-Ham finally get relegated & hope for a double as we stay up, at the same time W@nk_Ham go down. I cannot see many hammer shirt around Southend high street .... more people wearing SUFC shirt which is good to see. Kids in priory park on sunday playing football with SUFC shirt & pretend to be Eastwood, Gower & JCR etc.

100% Southend fan. Brought up in Basildon in the 70s and early 80s and involved in many playground discussions with Hamsters. Also shared an unpleasant train journey or two with Hammers fans when attending Southend away matches in London when they were at home. Interesting that I had no unpleasant experiences of this type with any other club's supporters even in an era where trouble was rife.

My view of other clubs ranges from respect for players and/or fans, through total indifference, to varying levels of dislike. West Ham can be found at the very bottom of my dislike pile.

100% Southend fan. Brought up in Basildon in the 70s and early 80s and involved in many playground discussions with Hamsters. Also shared an unpleasant train journey or two with Hammers fans when attending Southend away matches in London when they were at home. Interesting that I had no unpleasant experiences of this type with any other club's supporters even in an era where trouble was rife.

My view of other clubs ranges from respect for players and/or fans, through total indifference, to varying levels of dislike. West Ham can be found at the very bottom of my dislike pile.

This is pretty much the same for me, brought up in Basildon and similar type issues does not exactly make you like the Hamsters.

Why the hell should an east end scummers song is played a full volume at 5.30 in the afternoon in a SOUTHEND pub I just do not know. Just serves as another reason why I hate them nearly as much as Col Ewe.

Surely that is a reason for hating Varsity rather than a reason for hating West Ham?!

We're all free to like/dislike whoever we wish.

I personally hate Wet Sham with a passion and am delighted with their current fortunes, for the simple reason that they are another club marketing themselves to local football fans and therefore an obstacle to the growth of Southend United.

I don't give a toss whether the opening of the shop made "economic sense", what the patterns of migration were in previous decades or how much fun was had by Shrimpers and Spammers alike standing shoulder to shoulder on the North Bank in halcyon days when Phil Collins was no. 1 and you could buy a round of drinks and still get change from a 20p piece.

Wet Sham failing to as great an extent as possible gives them less to shout about, their local "fans" less to shout about and generally makes them a less attractive proposition to the next generation of South Essex football fans. It's quite feasible, maybe even likely, that in a generation's time both clubs could be solidly established at Championship level - so sweet for us and so painful for them. What will they then offer that might drain our potential fanbase, other than a lifetime of mistaken belief that you follow a "big club" who should expect to be winning things, and the resultant disappointments?

Southend is slowly but surely becoming a football town - long may that continue. Relativley small towns like Norwich and Ipswich haven't achieved what they have during their existences by accepting an air of inferiority and deference to any "big club" who fancy the look of their territory. Why should we?

Since when has putting on another team's song in Southend been such a heinous crime?! I am truly amazed ...

I think it's a mix of you had to be there, the fact that we were pretty peed off thanks to Leeds equaliser, and the attitude of the West Ham fans there.

People say SUFC have their chav element and no doubt they do, however their was not one Spam fan in there who wasn't. Not even 1%. Spam fans are jumped up gobby little sh*tes! I think I've actually even managed to convince myself I hate them more than Col Ewe by the end of this post too!!!

I don't try to convince myself that SUFC are bigger than Spam United, however what does make me laugh is when Spam fans seem to think they should be challenging for the title with the likes of the Mancs and Chelski. They are one club which I would quite happily see go out of existence.

As much as I hate Leeds too, I was quite happily sitting there waiting for them to invade Varsity in their hundreds to put the east end scummers on their a*ses, which would have been the most joyous occasion of the weekend to watch.

Ok Mr Einstein,

Just to clarify a few of your interesting points;

Is the 'east end scummer' thing all encompassing or just west ham supporters?

Is that 1% of one fan or a greater number?

Dont you think that with the money available to them now, that it is not an unreasonable expectation to be looking to challenge chelsea and manchester united in the future?

and lastly, although not an advocator of violence, if those 'hundreds' of ticketless leeds fans had topped up at varsity hell bent on destruction, I would imagine that in reality, with the similarity of accents, you would have been just as much a target and ironically, those 'east end scummers' would have perhaps, been your allies.

Last edited:
Ok Mr Einstein,

Dont you think that with the money available to them now, that it is not an unreasonable expectation to be looking to challenge chelsea and manchester united in the future?

No chance.

I have to say I don't hate Col U either. I went to University in Colchester, and their players used to work out in our gym. I like to see Southend, West Ham and Col U do well. My Dad, my brother, and my son support Man U so I keep an eye on them too. I think a lot of this so called hatred is rather pathetic. Do you hate Brushy because he played for West Ham? I think we should just concentrate on loving Southend for being a unique club with a great set of fans and a good family atmosphere.

Ok Mr Einstein,

Not a hope in Hell!

They'll be challenging us and Colchester next season :)

I have to say I don't hate Col U either. I went to University in Colchester, and their players used to work out in our gym. I like to see Southend, West Ham and Col U do well. My Dad, my brother, and my son support Man U so I keep an eye on them too. I think a lot of this so called hatred is rather pathetic. Do you hate Brushy because he played for West Ham? I think we should just concentrate on loving Southend for being a unique club with a great set of fans and a good family atmosphere.

Surely it's no more pathetic to hate one team (which I do) than it is to love one team (which I surely do).

From my position of infatuation with Southend I could claim that its pathetic to spread that love between two teams as a lot of people seem to; I could but I almost certainly wouldn't because such use of the term pathetic is pretty insulting and I wouldn't be that disrepectful.

Back