• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Another refresher as to why we hate West Ham...

Not a hope in Hell!

They'll be challenging us and Colchester next season :)

But you appear to have misenterpreted my point. I am not suggesting it will happen, merely that it would not be unreasonable to have that kind of expectations following the take over.

Not a hope in Hell!

They'll be challenging us and Colchester next season :)

Yes, quite possibly if Southend manage to avoid relegation. But I think the point biffo is trying to make (without obvious prejudice) is that it is NOT unreasonable for a fan of West Ham United to expect that his team should be competing with Chelsea or Manchester United within the next five or six years. Chairman Eggert Magnusson has already made it clear that he doesn't intend to jump ship if and when the Hammers are relegated. A restructure and maybe West Ham will return to the Premiership within one or two seasons and compete with the top clubs. Other clubs have (for the most part) done so and it is not an unreasonable ambition to have. Merely dismissing the notion in a flurry of prejudicial hand-waving simply suggests that some Southend fans are just as arrogant as they perceive West Ham fans to be ...

If you look at the way our attendances have risen the last few seasons we must be getting fans into the stadium who support other teams. If we are to progress, and get the numbers up in the new stadium that will be by encouraging some West Ham fans and others that when their team are away or we have a decent game on to come along. If they have a good time then they'll come again, and after a while they might start following us regular. We have to be realistic, we aren't going to fill our new stadium with immigrants or people who have lived in a footballing void all their lives.

Is the 'east end scummer' thing all encompassing or just west ham supporters?
Just Spam followers. Like a lot of people now in Southend, if you go back enough generations then you will find one side of your family will come from the East End eventually. However, the attitude of Spam fans stink wherever they are from.

Dont you think that with the money available to them now, that it is not an unreasonable expectation to be looking to challenge chelsea and manchester united in the future?
No, I don't in the slightest. They aren't now, and never will be as big as Chelski or the Mancs. I hope the Icelander riddles them with debt and then does a runner when he realises he brought a little club full of jumped up little so and so's!!

and lastly, although not an advocator of violence, if those 'hundreds' of ticketless leeds fans had topped up at varsity hell bent on destruction, I would imagine that in reality, with the similarity of accents, you would have been just as much a target and ironically, those 'east end scummers' would have perhaps, been your allies.
Why would they have been ticketless fans?

And no, I don't think we would have been in trouble at all. I spoke to several Leeds fans and every single one said they couldn't give two hoots about SUFC fans (apart from the 90 minutes in the ground!). Spam fans were the ones the Leeds firms wanted to 'bump' into. And as not one member of my group was wearing anything distinctly like Adidas, Nike or Kappa on a Saturday evening in a bar, I think it would have been pretty easy even for a northern monkey to work out which ones were supporting the spammers!

Just Spam followers. Like a lot of people now in Southend, if you go back enough generations then you will find one side of your family will come from the East End eventually. However, the attitude of Spam fans stink wherever they are from.

Thanks. I'm understandably underwhelmed that you consider most of my family as "scum". Perhaps you would like to rescind that comment please.

There seems to be a bizarre sense of paranoia coming from certain corners of this forum and this sweeping generalisation of West Ham fans is most unnecessary. Shall I inform all those Hammers who gathered in my local here in Spain to cheer on the Shrimpers in the play-off final a couple of years ago that their support is actually not wanted? Shall I tell all those Hammers who stop me in the street or approach me in my local to check on the progress of the Shrimpers that their interest is not actually appreciated? Well, no doubt much to the dismay of some, I won't because I find it extremely pleasing that other football fans are actually interested in my football club for once.

:mad:

Back