• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Another refresher as to why we hate West Ham...

Ban him!

I don't "hate" them, I just don't care. Be funny if (when) they go down tho... :)

I was in Saks after the game yesterday and the West Ham game was on and there was quite a few Spanners in there, when Tevez was about to take the penalty I shouted 'miss' and had to contend with a torrent of abuse from a humourless prick standing in front of me. God I hate them!

Ok Mike...accepted, but a vast majority of 3rd generation fans hate them with a passion, not only for the shop in town, but the general attitude of their fans. Comments like those highlighted only serve to add weight to this.

I know I shouldn't say this but I did allow the thought to pass my mind this morning that Wet Sham could be making the very short trip to Dagenham and Redbridge in just over a years time

What's this "we"?! Not everyone hates West Ham ...

I hate W@nk-Ham and I will do - I got an feeling if we stay up & W@nk-Ham go down, I can see an rival between us for years to come. W@nk-Ham is closer to Southend than Orient & Col Ewes!

Oh for the day Southend go to Upton Park & beat them like we did to Birmingham!

...have been following this thread on 'Knees Up Mother Brown' regarding the Leeds game....apparently we are "West Ham territory football club or no football club". Their sheer arrogance never fails to surprise me even when they are trying their best to 'do a Swindon' in the Premiership!

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=82495&start=20

Having been raised in east ham and consiquently raised on west ham football, I find these sort of threads difficult not to respond to. I followed your link and it appears that ONE poster used that particular reference. So how the singular suddenly becomes the plural escapes me. If you think about it, the only reason that thread probably started was because of the chinese whispers following the original posting suggesting a possible arrival of thousands of ticketless leeds fans. If you take a step back and look, their debate on the subject is a lot more reasoned than the embarrassing reactions of many on here! I am sure that west ham fans are NOT doing their best to 'do a swindon' and would like nothing more than to see their club get out of the mire (feel familiar?).
I have never known any animosity towards southend from west ham fans either when i was one of them or for the last 15 years supporting southend. In fact, most want us to do well. I just dont get the desire of many on here to create some. As for the shop, (before someone wheels that old chesnut out) the fans didn't open it.

Biffo...I totally respect your viewpoint, and as mentioned previously, many people have different views on this so-called artificial rivalry.
I just happen to be in the camp of those that can't stand the 'big club' mentality that the Hamsters posess, and whilst I do not wish to be controversial for the sake of it, I must clarify that many of my friends are West Ham fans and I have been to UP many times. Whereas we used to be seen as a small 'feeder' club to them pre-noughties and there was perhaps an element of cross support visible, the cross-section of fans I know do not like Southend, and from another perspective, I have also heard West Ham fans bad-mouthing the club I love in Southend High Street and various drinking establishments.

It's not so much West Ham FC i hate, i feel they've done a lot for the sake of English Football in being a club that relies on its youth system and developing young british players... It's the arrogance and sheer negative attitude the club and its fans show towards neighbouring clubs that are smaller than them.

When we approached financial doom, The business machine behind West Ham saw an oppurtunity to get a greater grasp on the South East Essex supporter base that would become available should we have ceased trading. They kicked us when we were down with no thought about the implications and opened a club shop in the town centre. Not even Manchester United have any of there MUFC superstores outside of Manchester in England.

Then you have to deal with the West Ham brigade of hooligan wannabe youths that run around Southend mouthing off about how small of a club we are in comparison to the "mighty" West Ham, the so called Academy of Football.

As long as they show this attitude to us, I'll show the same attitude to them. I can't wait till they finally accept their fate and are relegated to this league, where, touch wood, we'll join them. Beating Man United, Winning against Lincoln in Cardiff and ensuring Promotion away at Swansea will seem like nothing compared to Southend trouncing the Hammers at Upton Park.

So a handful of Hammers bad-mouth the Shrimpers (no doubt actually a couple of lads rather than a fully-armed brigade of usurpers) and all of a sudden every single West Ham fan is tarred with the same brush. It may not sit comfortably with some people but West Ham United are a "big club" who have won the FA Cup, finished in the top-three in the top flight of English football whilst Southend United are a "small club" who have spent much of the time in the lower reaches of the Football League. It's something that a few people simply have to get used to; the inferiority complex is amazing ... and amusing.

I have to agree with biffo: I come from a long line of West Ham fans stretching right back to the days of the Ironworks and I've rarely heard any animosity towards Southend United (except when the two teams meet competitively on the pitch but that has been fairly rare). Most Hammers fans I know wish the club well; some even attend matches at Roots Hall when they can; are they and their coffers not welcome? Just twenty years ago I remember people openly wearing West Ham colours on the North Bank on a Friday night, cheering on the Shrimpers as loudly as anyone else in the stand. And now, here in Spain, I know a whole host of West Ham ex-pats and every one of them hopes that Southend will escape relegation. Every one of them.

No doubt the tired moan about the WHUFC club shop will be dragged into the argument; all I can say is that I hope those people don't run a business for their understanding of economics is very low.

Last edited:
It's not so much West Ham FC i hate, i feel they've done a lot for the sake of English Football in being a club that relies on its youth system and developing young british players... It's the arrogance and sheer negative attitude the club and its fans show towards neighbouring clubs that are smaller than them.

When we approached financial doom, The business machine behind West Ham saw an oppurtunity to get a greater grasp on the South East Essex supporter base that would become available should we have ceased trading. They kicked us when we were down with no thought about the implications and opened a club shop in the town centre. Not even Manchester United have any of there MUFC superstores outside of Manchester in England.

Then you have to deal with the West Ham brigade of hooligan wannabe youths that run around Southend mouthing off about how small of a club we are in comparison to the "mighty" West Ham, the so called Academy of Football.

As long as they show this attitude to us, I'll show the same attitude to them. I can't wait till they finally accept their fate and are relegated to this league, where, touch wood, we'll join them. Beating Man United, Winning against Lincoln in Cardiff and ensuring Promotion away at Swansea will seem like nothing compared to Southend trouncing the Hammers at Upton Park.

Aren't you generalising there? I know lots of west Ham fans, they're a decent bunch and like to see the Shrimpers do well.

This old chesnut again. I hate West Ham with a passion, it's got nothing to do with logic and I won't try to give a sensible explanation for it. I just do!

The same way as I can't explain why I still follow Southend United through years of bitterness and heartache for just the occasional snatched moment of glory. It doesn't make sense, it just is - that's football.

No doubt the tired moan about the WHUFC club shop will be dragged into the argument; all I can say is that I hope those people don't run a business for their understanding of economics is very low.

You might have to explain this one to me Mike.

Wet Sham opened up a club shop in Southend because they had a large fan base in South East Essex.

So we can conclude that South East Essex is infested with hamsters.

And we are supposed to like this why?

If your locality has lots of fans who support another team that is a basis for a rivarly.

Rivalries aren't fought out on the pitch, they are fought out in the playground or in the office. Its all about being able to stick one over the others, and I would like nothing more than to thrash the hamsters and shut them up for months.

Had you grown up a Southend fan in Southend at a time when the place was overrun with hamsters who weren't slow to try and put down "little" Southend you would understand.

My hatred for the Spammers went up ten fold after having to endure their plastic fans celebrating their, quite frankly, ludicrious win at Blackburn in Varsity, like they had escaped their inevitable relegation. They even had that sh*te bubbles guff played at the start of the second half and at FT.

:mad:

I did cheer up however, when after the game all the Southend lads started up a rendition of 'down with the Watford!'

;)

Back