• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch Another season .... another refwatch

Mick

Life President
Man in charge of our curtain raiser on Saturday is Steve Cook from Godalming in Surrey. Although this is his third season, at 24 he remains one of the youngest officials on the list. He has officiated at Roots Hall twice before, both two seasons ago; the draw with Cheltenham and the win against Walsall. In these games he cautioned one home player and five visiting players.

He has not refereed us away although he was appointed for the Telford Cup game, but pulled out.

He has refereed Huddersfield three times before all away with mixed results. He upset them greatly at Gillingham when the home side won the match with an "interesting" very late penalty. I'd take that on Saturday!!

Not an official to have attracted too much criticism in his short career, so fingers crossed.

He will be assisted by Wade Norcott from Harlow and Michael Rowley from Reading with Charles Breakspear on 4th official duty.

Welcome back with that - let's hope he upsets Udders again then, cos Clarkey will have a fit!

Welcome back with your Refwatch Mick.:)

I notice from the FL site that Ray Lee's name does not feature on either the Referees or Assistants list - any idea why?.

One of the best things on SZ makes its long awaited return.

Thanks Mick. Top draw as normal.

He does seem to prefer a late red card.

Although he's only flourished it 5 times in 48 games, the 1st 3 (1 in mid 2007/8, 2 in his 2nd game of 2008/9) were all in the 90th minute. He then erred with an 18th minute dismissal, but went back to form with his final one being 2 minutes from time.

Think I'll stay to the end just in case!!

You know you're getting old when the referee is the same age as you. Doh. :stunned: :D

You know you're getting old when people several years younger than you start saying "you know you're getting old when....."

You know you're getting old when people several years younger than you start saying "you know you're getting old when....."

Please don't even go there, we had a member of the transport police in the other day at school to talk to the kids and not only did he look a LOT younger than me, he looked easily young enough to be my son - and that's seriously worrying!

Although he's only flourished it 5 times in 48 games, the 1st 3 (1 in mid 2007/8, 2 in his 2nd game of 2008/9) were all in the 90th minute. He then erred with an 18th minute dismissal, but went back to form with his final one being 2 minutes from time.

There will always be more dismissals in the 90th minute than any other as it is usually about four times as long as all other minutes (except the 45th and it's normally twice as long as that).

Interesting observation, given the relatively late red he brandished on Saturday. Some said it was for throwing the ball at Francis, others that it was for an elbow on Macca.

Either way, thought the ref was out of his depth on Saturday and lost control of the game relatively early on. He struck it lucky because the players (largely) decided to behave.

Interesting observation, given the relatively late red he brandished on Saturday. Some said it was for throwing the ball at Francis, others that it was for an elbow on Macca.

Either way, thought the ref was out of his depth on Saturday and lost control of the game relatively early on. He struck it lucky because the players (largely) decided to behave.
I think we might have known about it if that had happenned! Macca would have chased him out the stadium!
And agree completely with the rest of your post, he never really had control

I think we might have known about it if that had happenned! Macca would have chased him out the stadium!
And agree completely with the rest of your post, he never really had control

I agree I would have thought we'd know about it if Macca had been elbowed, I'm ony going by what the NotW reported. I didn't see what the incident was at the time.

When you have BOTH sets of fans signing "you don't know what your doing" then its safe to say he had a bit of a mare.

Didn't really have control of the game. Heath was booked early on, yet Butler put in a tackle that has Laurent stretched off but gets nothing. Williams, the left back, was kicking lumps out of everyone yet no card. There wasn't a card for the penalty, when there clearly should have been.

Not the worst ref I've seen, but nowhere near the best.

The guy had already fouled one of our players, can't remember who now, Franno said something to him and he reacted by throwing the ball at Franno - that was what he was sent off for, the ref reached immediately for the card at THAT point.

Back