• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

CC51DAS

President
If we concede that Swindon are now likely to finish above us, we are still in the mix for second place.

It is almost impossible to imagine that we will drop below 7th place, given the remaining fixtures with Port Vale, for example, facing tough trips to most of the top sides.

But if we continue the form of recent weeks and we do miss out on the automatics, who would you fancy us beating over two legs to get us to the POF ?

And if we get that far, would you back us to avoid another trip to Morecambe next year ?

If we fail to get up from the position we were in, then I'd prob look at a management change. I like ps, but something is going wrong and we need to get back on track fast. I cant see a way we'd get through the play offs at the moment, so we need to pull our fingers out.

I think the problems are upstairs out of Pauls hands. But its the team that counts amongst fans so Paul will take blame on both counts. Actually I'm hopeful over top 3 and feel this a must. We;re set up to achieve promoton via a marathon ( course of the season) and not via sprint ( one off play-off games) so wouldn't be to hopeful of promotion via play-offs. Hanging in hope for top 3.

I think Chris Phillips tweeted a week or so ago that all players were up to date with wages. Paul sturrock was backed in the January window from what I see. These are the kind of problems that normally come from 'upstairs'. Is the inferrence that the players are not playing as they liked Tara? As popular as Tara is, it seems a rather poor excuse to me in this age of austerity, administration and unpaid wages in football. Unless given more concrete evidence of this, I would be inclined to say the issues here are football related and we should be looking at the manager and players

Automatic promotion is still a very real possibility, we just have to fight for it.

If we didn't go up, I wouldn't be devastated, to go from relegation favourites with a squad of 4 or so, to promotion contenders in under a season and a half is remarkable. The financial effect of not going up though, I don't know...

Last year 80 points was enough for automatics, so that's 21 points from 14 games. Do able?

I just went through the remaining fixtures and I reckon we're going to squeak it. 23 points IMHO.

80 points won't be enough this year, there are many more stronger sides than last season
If there are more stronger teams, the likelyhood is that promotion will be earned with less points..surely??? Lots of strong sides dropping points against each other means it is likely there could be several sides all oround the same amount of points. If two or three sides run away with it..thery have a much higher number of points.
Having said that..80 may still not be enough as you would expect Crawley & Swindon to surpass that figure!

I was having a look at our remaining fixtures the other night and I had us down as only having 4 really tough fixtures left. Crawley and Cheltenham at home, Torquay and Oxford away. The remaining 10 games really are pretty winnable. Burton and Bristol Rovers away could also be tough as could Bradford but if we want to finish in the top 3 we really should be going to places like this and coming away with the points. I think we can only really afford maybe 2 more defeats and really need to go on a run as the other sides do have games in hand on us so we need to hit form starting on Saturday.

Unfortunately I feel at the mo that we're going to fall just short and end up in the Playoff lottery. We seem to be dropping points when the others are still going strong.

If we concede that Swindon are now likely to finish above us, we are still in the mix for second place.

It is almost impossible to imagine that we will drop below 7th place, given the remaining fixtures with Port Vale, for example, facing tough trips to most of the top sides.

But if we continue the form of recent weeks and we do miss out on the automatics, who would you fancy us beating over two legs to get us to the POF ?

And if we get that far, would you back us to avoid another trip to Morecambe next year ?
Div two could be horrible next year with sides like Daggers and Northampton possibly going out the bottom and Creepy out the top. If Barnet go then we will only have the Gills as anything like a local fixture.

The thought of being in league again next year really does fill me with dread. I know most of our history we've been in this league but doesn't mean we have to like it. Theres never much atmosphere because the footballs not great and also theres no away fans well barely any. I just hope we manage to get out of it this year.

I'm still backing us to stagger over the line in 2nd or 3rd provided we take points from Crawley, Cheltenham, & Torquay. Whilst we still need to pick up wins and draws in the other matches these 3 are massively important.

I'm still backing us to stagger over the line in 2nd or 3rd provided we take points from Crawley, Cheltenham, & Torquay. Whilst we still need to pick up wins and draws in the other matches these 3 are massively important.

Yep a few weeks ago someone posted on here that we only needed to beat lower placed teams to gain promotion, which was probably true. But now we will almost ceratainly have to win those 3 games as well as beating lower placed teams to have a chance of getting a top 3 spot and as we all know our results against the other top teams this season is not that good.

to go up in top 3 i reckon we have to win at least 10 of our remaining games and hope others slip up. I don't think we deserve to go up, not on the performances of the last two months.

Why c'ant we all face reality, SUFC are good enough to go up automatically, but other clubs are better! however, I hope for the playoffs and being promoted this season.

Also supporters should remember that matches are not played on "paper" eg ManU and Aldershot the other night, who came into the game on a three game win streak(now four).

Hate to be a doom monger and this is not based on any actual fact but if we don't go up, will our finances survive another season in the 'basement'?

Another poster stated that it seemed like a case of 'eggs in one basket' and it does seem to be a case of that.

Hoping of course that I am totally and 100% wrong.

Back