• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Moridin

Back from the Dead
Morning all!

I arrived at work this morning to find I no longer have a job!!

I was working for a Local Authority as a Tenancy Support and Resettlement Worker, helping Social Tenants who were having difficulties, me being the their chance before eviction. The other part was to meet and interview homeless families to asses if they were able to maintain their own tenancies before offering them somewhere to live.

The job was a 12 month pilot program, but the Council is suffering a budget deficit, so the program has been cancelled, so myself and my five colleagues have been asked to clear our desks. Lovely.

With the current economic problems, and unemployment and repossessions rising, I guess there may be a few shrimpers around who have suffered in the same way.

It does always seem though that services for the more vulnerable members of our society are always the first to be cut, the capacities of the homeless hostels have been halved in the last year for example.

It’s a real shame to see good projects that make a difference in the community go down the drain, especially when I see five nice shiny new council Jags in the Town Hall Car park when I’m on my way home!

Sorry to hear that mate. No doubt the Council will be decking out the town centre in Christmas decorations as well.

Sorry to hear that mate. No doubt the Council will be decking out the town centre in Christmas decorations as well.

Thanks MK.

Here's hoping something crops up!

The Christmas lights are already up, and the Town Hall square has been converted into one big nativity set. They have had to dig up all the grass as well. :stunned:

I dread to think how much the contract for all of that went out for. But in the Councils defence, most of the lights are the same as the ones they had up for Diwali, just with different decorations around the edges.....

Bit of nifty cost cutting there :D

Thanks both. :)

Fortunately, the Social Hosuing sector is quite fluid with jobs, so hopefully something will turn up shortly. Lots of phone calls to make now!

It is definitely a rotten time of year for this to happen, Mrs Moridin is going to be cross!

Shame to hear that Moridin. Best of luck getting a new job mate, often when this happens you move onto bigger/better things!

Sorry to hear it Moridin. Councils are utter mugs when it comes to funding and budgets - when I was auditing a couple of London Boroughs a few years back, the evidence of incompetent mismanagement was completely overwhelming. Hope everything works out ok for you.

Sorry to har that, Moridin. My sister's just been laid off as well, so you're certainly not alone. It happened to me in the dotcom fallout of 2001 as well and I know how it feels.

Get yourself registered with every agency you can. Employers make a point of cutting wage bills, but the work still has to get done and they always end up calling in temps to make up the shortfall. It's obviously not what you want in the long-term, but it will keep you going while you regroup. I ended up flogging black binbags over the phone for several months when I got booted, but it's not how you go down, it's how you get back up again.

Good luck.

I used to sing that down the phone to people on boring afternoons! I also used to ask people if they wanted to feel the wrath of my 'discount stick' before bellowing into the handset, "THWACK! That's the sound of interest free credit! THWACK! That's the sound of free delivery! THWACK! That's the sound of 10% off!"

Strangely, it seemed to work quite well.

Sorry to hear, I'm experiencing problems with work aswell...

I was promised work over Christmas while I'm back in Southend and rang up last week to see if it was still available only to find out they've had to lay off staff as well. Had another interview only for them to refuse my application on the basis I couldn't work Boxing Day despite me being available New Years Eve/Day.

Shame to hear that Moridin. Best of luck getting a new job mate, often when this happens you move onto bigger/better things!

Agree that you will probably look back on this time as one which enabled you to move on to move on to a more profitable future.

Keep a PMA and fight back from this set-back.

I'm unemployed as of today as well. It's not really credit crunch related, more the fact I've been working in the field of analogue teletext for the past eight years and, as you can imagine, that medium is on a life support machine.

Still, I've managed to save plenty of cash this year - partly by default due to medical issues - so, worst case scenario, I should be fine for a few months. Will be posting on here far more often, that's for sure!

Morning all!

I arrived at work this morning to find I no longer have a job!!

I was working for a Local Authority as a Tenancy Support and Resettlement Worker, helping Social Tenants who were having difficulties, me being the their chance before eviction. The other part was to meet and interview homeless families to asses if they were able to maintain their own tenancies before offering them somewhere to live.

The job was a 12 month pilot program, but the Council is suffering a budget deficit, so the program has been cancelled, so myself and my five colleagues have been asked to clear our desks. Lovely.

Sorry to hear that friend. Out of interest is their money 'froze' in icelandic bank accounts?

Back