• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Another youngster on the way out?

Great to hear that the youth academy are getting attention and that it's profitable. Would be nice to be able to hold on to these players but i don't think we're in the position to turn down money at the moment. Is he son of Anthony Furlong or is it just a pure co-incidence of surnames.

Great to hear that the youth academy are getting attention and that it's profitable. Would be nice to be able to hold on to these players but i don't think we're in the position to turn down money at the moment. Is he son of Anthony Furlong or is it just a pure co-incidence of surnames.

Probably the son of Paul Furlong

this makes me think! wots the point of having a Youth team?... cause the big boys come in and end up getting sod all money!!

this makes me think! wots the point of having a Youth team?... cause the big boys come in and end up getting sod all money!!

Do you know that for a fact? I was under the impression that youth players moving on to bigger clubs either demand an up front fee, a fee later depending on how they do, or a mix of both.

Or Why do these youngsters get sold on when never anywhere near our first XI squad. (Or are they very young?)

Our youth players are a very saleable commodity and at the moment anything that generates income for the club is good!

Be nice if some of this players actually progressed into the first team. Still I guess its all money for the club plus it may create links for the future with some of the big boys.

A friend went to Grays last night too and was immensely impressed with one of our youth players (on loan there I presume?):

"Grays centre-back Duran Reynolds was a proper colossus. Only 18 but more than capable of doing a job a couple of leagues higher if he beefs up a bit. Based on last night, anyway. Don't blame me if he goes back to Southend and gets Jonah Lomu'd as you crash 8-0 at Accrington next year."

Link to an article on Manchester City's official website: Furlong chase could produce photo finish;
and the Daily Mirror, who included it in their 'Football Spy' column: Manchester City in battle with Fulham to sign young Southend defender.

For a little bit of background, Furlonge (I now understand that his name has an 'e' on the end) has just broken into the Under-18s side at Boots & Laces in the right-back berth. First impressions show that he is comfortable on the ball, likes to get forward and it tall and powerful enough to be considered a prospect at centre-half as well as full-back. He has played in both of the last two home Under-18 matches and has been impressive in both games, despite the team being beaten.

A friend went to Grays last night too and was immensely impressed with one of our youth players (on loan there I presume?):

"Grays centre-back Duran Reynolds was a proper colossus. Only 18 but more than capable of doing a job a couple of leagues higher if he beefs up a bit. Based on last night, anyway. Don't blame me if he goes back to Southend and gets Jonah Lomu'd as you crash 8-0 at Accrington next year."

Is this the lad we have a sort-of-dual-ownership of? The one who bears a striking resemblance to Dave Benson-Phillips.

Is this the lad we have a sort-of-dual-ownership of? The one who bears a striking resemblance to Dave Benson-Phillips.

I'm guessing that's another centre-half Justin Clayton, who was dual-registered with St Alban's City and played a number of reserve matches at the start of the season.

Reynolds joined Blues from Histon in November 2007 as an Under-16 but was quickly fast-tracked into the Under-18 side. He struggled initially with injuries and started out as a left-back before being moved to centre-back during the Under-18s title-winning 2008/9 Youth Alliance campaign. He has started 30 youth-team matches for the Shrimpers, plus one substitute appearance, scoring twice, and has now played about five games on loan for Grays Athletic in the Blue Square Conference.

His major defining feature is a shock of blonde hair. Further details are available via his profile on the Shrimpers Trust website.

Last edited:

He is on loan. He came on at left-back in the Spinner testimonial against Derby.

Be nice if some of this players actually progressed into the first team. Still I guess its all money for the club plus it may create links for the future with some of the big boys.

This is what confuses me, assuming that premier league scouts attend league one under 18 games sniffing for talent, this presumably means they've dismissed players like Herd, and moussa?

and if these same scouts deem this player to be that good potentially why are they nowhere near our first team, players recently have popped up in the prem of 17 or 18, so presumably if hes that talented, league one should be a breeze? maybe i'm being incredibly naive, I have no idea about youth team contracts etc, I guess i just feel that maybe if these players even at such a young age, are that good, maybe they could pull on the first team shirt for us for a while, rather then just get snapped up!

This is what confuses me, assuming that premier league scouts attend league one under 18 games sniffing for talent, this presumably means they've dismissed players like Herd, and moussa?

and if these same scouts deem this player to be that good potentially why are they nowhere near our first team, players recently have popped up in the prem of 17 or 18, so presumably if hes that talented, league one should be a breeze? maybe i'm being incredibly naive, I have no idea about youth team contracts etc, I guess i just feel that maybe if these players even at such a young age, are that good, maybe they could pull on the first team shirt for us for a while, rather then just get snapped up!

The likes of Herd and Moussa came up through the youth team a fair while ago, and we've only just entered the Premier League's minds as being a progressive Centre of Excellence. When I interviewed Duncan last year, he said that we're now considered one of the best CoE's in the country and that, in his opinion, it's better to work with the Prem Academies rather than against them.

Youth football is entirely different to Senior football. It's faster, it's tougher and you get next to no time to think. That's why, when Prem scouts watch YTS games, they look for different aspects and strengths as opposed to a scout watching a senior player.

At an early age, they can teach you positional sense and, with Sports Science as in-depth as it is these days, they won't necessairly worry about a lack of size or athleticism. They look for a natural understanding of the game, a masterful first touch and raw technique that they can hone into something desirable.

Back