• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I have the answer.

There are two problems with arguably better suggestions to date:

1. We do not have a big enough core fan group sitting together ready and willing to sing (bar at some away games) and

2. Given those willing to get 'a noise' going are spread about too thinly anything requiring vaguely above-basic cordination and more than a couple of words gets lost.

Keep it simple therefore (at least until we move home or maybe build on this experience).

Five-live gave me the answer this eve. They had an itemon Squeeze (who have just released a 'hits' album) and played a clip from what they called their 'anthem'.....'Up the Junction'.

Now, before you all start commenting that this might be a bit of an ironic ditty for us to belt out at times, move beyond that and remind yourself that most footie fans (probably us all included) do not look into things that deeply.

Next, what bit of this ditty? Well, just the beginning, and then it will just involve two words (and they are both the same) so it fits the 'not too tricky' requirement.

What bit then? Well, the beginning, ie. the bit where it goes:

da da da da da,
da da da da da da,
da da da da da,
da da da da da da....
dadadada dadadada

but, in place of the last line just chant 'Southend, Southend'

then repeat until tired.

Not convinced? Too difficult to grasp? Well, listen to the beginning of the attached link and then have a try:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=c3635AFfu0s

What do you think? Moronic? If so, it will work.

This ends the debate. I have found the answer.

And, as far as I know, unlike the Johnny Cash thingy, it will be unique.

Bring on Cheltenham, they will be washed away by a chorus of co-ordinated sound from Roots Hall

UTB:)

SS , I, like you ( apparantly ) have been searching for a solution to this since Saturday's debacle . OK, so I live in hope that the Monkees may yet become popular , especially when everyone is familiar with the words , but in reality , I feel the club is looking for a different kind of song to adopt - an anthem. I love Squeeze , love Up the Junction but unless it is to be a reflection on our predicament I can't see this one taking off .

Maybe we have missed a trick? Maybe we should be looking closer to home? Why not pick a well known tune by a bunch of lads from Southend-on-Sea and just wallow in the glory of it , even if we don't all sing along ?

SS ,
Maybe we have missed a trick? Maybe we should be looking closer to home? Why not pick a well known tune by a bunch of lads from Southend-on-Sea and just wallow in the glory of it , even if we don't all sing along ?

Anyone remember anythinng from Menswear****??

**for those who may have forgot they were a 90's indie band with a couple of members from this town.

I think this thread is going off beam after the first couple of replies - either this idea is a goer or it's not, stick to what was put up first! All to often on this board someone starts something and then everyone starts going on about something different and the original idea gets forgotten.

I think a reminder is needed......we don't make enough noise, those that want too make some are too widespread in the ground, we need something dead simple to catch on.

Yep, the idea might not be a real anthem but I think that is a bridge too far from where we are starting from. Get something basic going, if it works then great, it will build and from that something else can be developed that is better and then folk will be better tuned to deal with it.

Folk are trying to be too complex

Keep it simple. It might just work.

I think this thread is going off beam after the first couple of replies - either this idea is a goer or it's not, stick to what was put up first! All to often on this board someone starts something and then everyone starts going on about something different and the original idea gets forgotten.

I think a reminder is needed......we don't make enough noise, those that want too make some are too widespread in the ground, we need something dead simple to catch on.

Yep, the idea might not be a real anthem but I think that is a bridge too far from where we are starting from. Get something basic going, if it works then great, it will build and from that something else can be developed that is better and then folk will be better tuned to deal with it.

Sorry SS, you lost me with all those dadadadas. I am still trying to make the switch from do do do do .

Oh no , someone's going to suggest a song by the Police now .....:eek:

I too live in hope that the Monkees will catch on. Brian made a big effort to get the song played at the last minute and it did get a resonable response.

The important thing to remember is not everyone reads this web site. :eek:
Sorry, but it's true! Just because the people on here don't support an idea doesn't mean it won't work. People do sing to "Hey Baby" even though it gets slated on here.

My advice, for what it's worth, get Brian involved. I hope they carry on playing "I'm a Believer", repetition is the key. See if they can get permission to play the intro to "Up the Junction" with your change.

West Stand Block S can sing too!

I suppose if we want to keep it really simple we could try

OOOH , Anthem Ansa

( to the tune of OOOH , Andy Ansah )

Apologies - I'll go and crawl back into my hole now .......

Heres a great Anthem - works on all levels..

See me feel me by The Who (the Listening to you bit only)

1) The words relate to football well
2) It gives you goosebumbs when everyone joins in
3) Its a class song
4) No other club uses it
5) Its simple

Here are the lyrics

Listning to you, I get the music
Gazing at you, I get the heat
Following you, I climb the mountain
I get excitement at your feet

Right behing you, I see the millions
On you, I see the glory
From you, I get opinion
From you, I get the story

Listening to you, I get the music
Gazing at you, I get the heat
Following you, I climb the mountain
I get excitement at your feet

Right behing you, I see the millions
On you, I see the glory
From you, I get opinion
From you, I get the story

Heres it in action - it kicks in at 50 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuVffu0YCa8

Just imagine roots hall pounding that out - getting louder and louder, faster and faster!

Pure class anthem - and all our own!

Back