• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

* ORM *

Still Loves Emma Bunton. Roy McDonough is God!
Flying the flag for SUFC in Sai Kung, Hong Kong
This is a perpetual question that pops up and never gets answered. In my opinion the best ones don't necessarily leap out at you or have been covered. I'm going to start the bidding with a slightly edited Ben E King classic which I think works. You will probably disagree. I know Spurs players once did this but I don't think fans anywhere have adopted it. No doubt I'll be corrected.

When the night has come
And the land is dark
And the moon is the only light we'll see
No I won't be afraid
Oh, I won't be afraid
Just as long as you stand, stand by me

So Southend Southend
Stand by me, oh stand by me
Oh stand, stand by me
Stand by me

If the sky that we look upon
Should tumble and fall
All the mountains should crumble to the sea
I won't cry, I won't cry
No, I won't shed a tear
Just as long as you stand, stand by me

And Southend Southend
Oh stand now, stand by me
Stand by me

So Southend Southend
Oh stand now, stand by me, stand by me
Whenever you're in trouble won't you stand by me
Oh stand by me, oh won't you stand now, stand
Stand by me

I've always said that it would make sense to use an old song because it gives the impression it has been used for a long time. It also won't be cheesy or tacky as would a new song when it gets to about 5-10 years old.

I've always suggested Daydream Believer by The Monkees, mainly because I like it, but also because the chorus is really easy to sing along to, and I think it would sound fantastic.

in the 50s it was the Eton Boating Song. I'm glad that's been forgotten. But, how about " we do like to be beside the seaside" and while we're singing it we could all shuffle sideways like crabs

I've always said that it would make sense to use an old song because it gives the impression it has been used for a long time. It also won't be cheesy or tacky as would a new song when it gets to about 5-10 years old.

I've always suggested Daydream Believer by The Monkees, mainly because I like it, but also because the chorus is really easy to sing along to, and I think it would sound fantastic.

Aha but then we wouldn't be unique ! I checked this one

God Save The Queen ( traditional one , not Sex Pistols version , although that is better ) and just substitute the word 'Ron' for 'Queen'.
If that's not a winner , well I give up !

Oh I do like to be beside the seaside,
Oh I do like to be beside the sea,
With a bucket and a spade,
& a F****** hand grenade
Beside the seaside
Beside the sea

And the award for the family club of the year goes to...... :winking:

Two I still think would be great as Southend anthems are:
"Only You" by Yazoo (Alison Moyet & Vince Clark - local musical legends!)
&
"Keeping the Dream Alive" by Muchener Frieheit (Just works as a sporting anthem)

I would like to see just before KO a single baked bean placed onto a statue of Ron's head then the fans all sing

God save the bean:smile:

Sunderland used to sing this with the words "Cheer up Peter Reid " , so it would not be a new song .

I always think the best club 'anthems', particularly for clubs where success is a rare thing, tend to be sad songs with a hopeful message, such as Blue Moon (obviously not quite so apt now City are winning everything). Songs that say yes we know we're a bit rubbish, but once in a while we'll do something special which makes it all worth while. Really good example being 'Sunshine on Leith' by the proclaimers which Hibs have adopted. Leith being the area of Edinburgh where Hibs are from. Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up first time I heard it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkGxNxiN8rU we could pinch it but I doubt Sunshine on Leigh would really work..

Back