• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

By the way, in addition to violent conduct, a red card can be issued for "using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures".

Pretty sure the ref was in safe territory for Granty's red card.

Are you a solicitor as well as a ref mate you are playing with my words not my sentiments you know i could not know exactly what Granty was saying whether he was appealing for a foul or trying to get someone sent off booked whatever
..he could have been saying oh!dear Kanes been hurt that looks like a nasty tackle never mind ref lets get on with it,for all you or i know ..but what i do know is the ref sent Grant off for raising his hands and yes i would be peed off if it was the other way round and he tried to get someone sent off we dont know that for fact do we? But again it was still a cowardly deliberate act by the no6 and that is the POINT im trying to make mate and what Grant did after was wrong and a kneejerk reaction.............so sorry my literal skills are substandard to yours but if you dont get my drift now i give up!
Couldn't agree more that we don't know what Granty said. But it was you that said that all he was doing was 'appealing for the foul', maybe by way of underlining that what the Oxford #6 did was much more serious by comparison (the drift you were aiming for?). I don't think that Granty was just appealing for the foul, the evidence suggests that he was being a tad more provocative than that by appealing for a card. You might have meant appealing for a card when you said appealing for the foul, but in terms of match management the two are light years apart.

My point is that, from a match management perspective (and practical experience), someone doing something like stamping on another player's foot is no worse than appealing to get someone else booked, which is what I rather suspect Grant was doing. Both acts wind up other players no end and are very likely to cause confrontation.

As an umpire (I'm a hockey umpire, but the match management skills required are exactly the same), you have to read things literally. As soon as you start making allowances for people, you get into very very dodgy ground very quickly and before you know it you've lost the respect of the players and control of the game.

Looking at the video I think Grant thought he was going to get a card of some sort for his challenge and was a bit surprised when the ref walked past him.
He was provoked by the subsequent stamp on his foot but I think the annoyance from Paul Sturrock stems from fact that Grant in particular and the team as a whole has some 'form' regarding mass brawls this season, and have been previously warned by PS and fined by FA

Ahhhh can't wait for the last away game of the season :-)
Yes Saturday 28th April ...just hope the ex Crawley scrot Jake Wright is playing and he gets the kind of reception from the travelling shrimpers that the complete pr**k deserves. I hope this video is presented to the FA and he gets a posthumous red card.

So, I just put on SSN, to see the highlights. Firstly, quality free kick, would have beaten probably most keepers. Anyway. Grant's sending off, I just want to highlight a few things, especially little creepy Poxford players.

So here's the description of video of the bad tackle and the little rumpus. (Cracking word) ....

A few things....

13 seconds crunching tackle. Definite red, very dangerous. 25 seconds, Grant going a bit mental about how bad it was. 2 Oxford players getting involved. 53 seconds bloke on the right, runs in stands on Grant's foot, and stands up in order to hurt him more. Well done number 6, BIG MAN! 1 min 30 Grant pushes him off of him, NOT Surprising at all. 4 Oxford players, Timlin and Barker get involved 1 min 50 more bodies. A lot of Poxford players around Granty all in his face holding onto him.
2 mins 4 seconds bloke comes in from the left and pushes/slaps Grant in the face and moves away. Grant seems to move out the way. 2 minutes 21 the same bloke gets involved with Timlin, and has a sly creepy look to the ref to see if he has been spotted. (dirt) I'm sure there a few other little *******ish things I haven't spotted. But my point is this. I'm not surprised Grant lost it a bit. And to be honest it was next to nothing.

Oh and another thing that I don't think you can see in the video, Ferdinand is on floor lucky to not have had a serious injury and some prat comes and tries to drag him up. I'm sure there should have been a couple more reds and bookings to be honest!

I have a new hate for Oxford, annoying, bitter, ***** fans, horrible players. And we don't even have to play well at all to beat them twice in 4 days.

Shouldn't you be sent off for standing on someones foot because that is to hurt them intently? Worse than a little push in the chest/face/neck area in my book. Have a watch and see what you think of the dirty annoying Poxford!

[video=youtube;oL4A6DXfItA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL4A6DXfItA[/video]

It's ****ed me off, because Grant has probably just got himself back in the side and playing quite well when given the chance. Thanks Poxford.

I've watched that 5 times now and still can't see when Grant head butts anyone. The 6 deserves a red cars, a clear stamp on Granty's foot

Looking at the video I think Grant thought he was going to get a card of some sort for his challenge and was a bit surprised when the ref walked past him.
He was provoked by the subsequent stamp on his foot but I think the annoyance from Paul Sturrock stems from fact that Grant in particular and the team as a whole has some 'form' regarding mass brawls this season, and have been previously warned by PS and fined by FA
Bloody good job it wasn't Mohsni's foot he decided to stamp on otherwise I'm sure all hell would have broken loose and there wouldn't have been many yellow shirts left standing.

Bloody good job it wasn't Mohsni's foot he decided to stamp on otherwise I'm sure all hell would have broken loose and there wouldn't have been many yellow shirts left standing.

The trouble is if it had been Mohsni's foot, he may have gone so far OTT in his reaction that he could have got a very lengthy ban.

The trouble is if it had been Mohsni's foot, he may have gone so far OTT in his reaction that he could have got a very lengthy ban.
Yes his self control nowadays is amazing. A couple of months ago he would have been the first on the scene at the slightest scent of trouble. Whatever Sturrock threatened him with or put in his tea is certainly working.

Yes his self control nowadays is amazing. A couple of months ago he would have been the first on the scene at the slightest scent of trouble. Whatever Sturrock threatened him with or put in his tea is certainly working.

If rumour is to be believed Bilel is doing a bit of boxing to try and learn some self control. Another rumour suggested that he did some sparring with Tara and smacked him fairly hard - maybe Grant wants to have a go at that as well!

It was stupid for Granty to get sent off. Good on the ref for sending Oxford down to 9 though. The question is should Granty have got involved?

It was stupid for Granty to get sent off. Good on the ref for sending Oxford down to 9 though. The question is should Granty have got involved?
How can you not get involved though when some big lummox runs over and plants his pretty hefty (for a footballer) weight pretty solidly on your size 9s? Granty is inclined to petulance, we all know that, but in this instance, I can't see that he can be blamed particularly at all. Having said that though, I do agree that the ref had no option but to send him off. the reaction of some of the Oxford players is nothing short of a disgrace though and I really hope that this slow-mo is being viewed and scrutinised by others with the power to to do something about it.

Oh, for video replays being available to a 4th (or even 5th) official!

I have a new hate to Oxford after a large group of fully grown men (which makes it even worse) were standing outside the pizza shop on the corner after the game on saturday found it acceptable to abuse families with children walking past them for no apparent reason. I'm sure they would not be so brave had it been a large group of blokes from southend walking past them.

I guess it was the **** who was wearing a cap?

Yes Saturday 28th April ...just hope the ex Crawley scrot Jake Wright is playing and he gets the kind of reception from the travelling shrimpers that the complete pr**k deserves. I hope this video is presented to the FA and he gets a posthumous red card.

Posthumous ? , that's a bit harsh !

If rumour is to be believed Bilel is doing a bit of boxing to try and learn some self control. Another rumour suggested that he did some sparring with Tara and smacked him fairly hard - maybe Grant wants to have a go at that as well!

its not a rumour, Bilel stated in at least one interview that he was doing it

Everyone on twitter should send the video to @football_league hopefully they'll see it and do something.

Hopefully someone can appeal to get a 3 match ban on their number 6 Jake Wright because that stamp is an absolute disgrace to football and he should not go unpunished for that.

Grant should not have reacted, but to be fair who wouldn't react to something like that?

Couldn't agree more that we don't know what Granty said. But it was you that said that all he was doing was 'appealing for the foul', maybe by way of underlining that what the Oxford #6 did was much more serious by comparison (the drift you were aiming for?). I don't think that Granty was just appealing for the foul, the evidence suggests that he was being a tad more provocative than that by appealing for a card. You might have meant appealing for a card when you said appealing for the foul, but in terms of match management the two are light years apart.

My point is that, from a match management perspective (and practical experience), someone doing something like stamping on another player's foot is no worse than appealing to get someone else booked, which is what I rather suspect Grant was doing. Both acts wind up other players no end and are very likely to cause confrontation.

As an umpire (I'm a hockey umpire, but the match management skills required are exactly the same), you have to read things literally. As soon as you start making allowances for people, you get into very very dodgy ground very quickly and before you know it you've lost the respect of the players and control of the game.
your point is that you are always right i suspect but no mention that the whole saga was actuated by Grant seeing a young Kane totally gone through to start off with oh the shock that he should make any type of plea for retribution get real mate its not all what you read some common sense also applies and your next quote can be last word its what i think your used too

Back