• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Man in charge tomorrow night is Dave Phillips from Chichester in West Sussex, refereeing his seventh Southend match.

First was Huddersfield at home three years ago (lost 1-0), second was away ay Yeovil two years ago (lost again, sent off Morrison) and then the same season at home to Swindon (2-2). That last game he did well and was hardly noticed.

His next visit was the match against Bristol City last season, where, once again, he did well and again was hardly noticed despite half a dozen cards. This was followed by a visit as a late replacement for last season's home match against Barnet (won 2-1).

His most recent match was back in September in that scrappy victory over Gillingham when he showed 7 yellow cards, two of them to Mohsni.

Older than most of the newer refs (his 4th season), he is a Police Officer in his 40s. A steady official but looking a bit quick with his red card this season. He has shown an average number of yellow cards (33) but above average reds (4) from 12 games.

Assistants are Matt Foley from London and Stephen Daly from Middlesex. Colin Lymer from Basingstoke will be 4th official.

Someone needs to have a word in Bil's ear. At Macc he showed restraint mostly, but with Ox I fear that he may need a fatherly word about his behaviour, for the good of the team, especially as he has form with this ref.

Anthony Grant's Red Card with Video

So, I just put on SSN, to see the highlights. Firstly, quality free kick, would have beaten probably most keepers. Anyway. Grant's sending off, I just want to highlight a few things, especially little creepy Poxford players.

So here's the description of video of the bad tackle and the little rumpus. (Cracking word) ....

A few things....

13 seconds crunching tackle. Definite red, very dangerous. 25 seconds, Grant going a bit mental about how bad it was. 2 Oxford players getting involved. 53 seconds bloke on the right, runs in stands on Grant's foot, and stands up in order to hurt him more. Well done number 6, BIG MAN! 1 min 30 Grant pushes him off of him, NOT Surprising at all. 4 Oxford players, Timlin and Barker get involved 1 min 50 more bodies. A lot of Poxford players around Granty all in his face holding onto him.
2 mins 4 seconds bloke comes in from the left and pushes/slaps Grant in the face and moves away. Grant seems to move out the way. 2 minutes 21 the same bloke gets involved with Timlin, and has a sly creepy look to the ref to see if he has been spotted. (dirt) I'm sure there a few other little *******ish things I haven't spotted. But my point is this. I'm not surprised Grant lost it a bit. And to be honest it was next to nothing.

Oh and another thing that I don't think you can see in the video, Ferdinand is on floor lucky to not have had a serious injury and some prat comes and tries to drag him up. I'm sure there should have been a couple more reds and bookings to be honest!

I have a new hate for Oxford, annoying, bitter, ***** fans, horrible players. And we don't even have to play well at all to beat them twice in 4 days.

Shouldn't you be sent off for standing on someones foot because that is to hurt them intently? Worse than a little push in the chest/face/neck area in my book. Have a watch and see what you think of the dirty annoying Poxford!

[video=youtube;oL4A6DXfItA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL4A6DXfItA[/video]

It's ****ed me off, because Grant has probably just got himself back in the side and playing quite well when given the chance. Thanks Poxford.

I have a new hate to Oxford after a large group of fully grown men (which makes it even worse) were standing outside the pizza shop on the corner after the game on saturday found it acceptable to abuse families with children walking past them for no apparent reason. I'm sure they would not be so brave had it been a large group of blokes from southend walking past them.

Thanks for posting - on this basis I think it is worth an appeal - the number 6 (Wright) wasn't even booked and deliberately attacked Grant, even though Grant clearly wasn't doing anything towards him.

Great spot, shows the incident in a different light IMHO

So, I just put on SSN, to see the highlights. Firstly, quality free kick, would have beaten probably most keepers. Anyway. Grant's sending off, I just want to highlight a few things, especially little creepy Poxford players.

So here's the description of video of the bad tackle and the little rumpus. (Cracking word) ....

A few things....

13 seconds crunching tackle. Definite red, very dangerous. 25 seconds, Grant going a bit mental about how bad it was. 2 Oxford players getting involved. 53 seconds bloke on the right, runs in stands on Grant's foot, and stands up in order to hurt him more. Well done number 6, BIG MAN! 1 min 30 Grant pushes him off of him, NOT Surprising at all. 4 Oxford players, Timlin and Barker get involved 1 min 50 more bodies. A lot of Poxford players around Granty all in his face holding onto him.
2 mins 4 seconds bloke comes in from the left and pushes/slaps Grant in the face and moves away. Grant seems to move out the way. 2 minutes 21 the same bloke gets involved with Timlin, and has a sly creepy look to the ref to see if he has been spotted. (dirt) I'm sure there a few other little *******ish things I haven't spotted. But my point is this. I'm not surprised Grant lost it a bit. And to be honest it was next to nothing.

Oh and another thing that I don't think you can see in the video, Ferdinand is on floor lucky to not have had a serious injury and some prat comes and tries to drag him up. I'm sure there should have been a couple more reds and bookings to be honest!

I have a new hate for Oxford, annoying, bitter, ***** fans, horrible players. And we don't even have to play well at all to beat them twice in 4 days.

Shouldn't you be sent off for standing on someones foot because that is to hurt them intently? Worse than a little push in the chest/face/neck area in my book. Have a watch and see what you think of the dirty annoying Poxford!

[video=youtube;oL4A6DXfItA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL4A6DXfItA[/video]

It's ****ed me off, because Grant has probably just got himself back in the side and playing quite well when given the chance. Thanks Poxford.

Yes like the fact that Grant Slapped/punched him first, he should know better not to react like that and in my eyes he got himself sent off but the Oxford player just light the fuse

But Grant still raised his hands which is a red card offence!! Admittedly the Oxford no. 6 is a **** and deserved it but that's not enough for an appeal. I still think the original tackle should have been a red as well.

Yes, the Oxford player comes in and barges Granty. But Grant then decides to raise his hands and push him in the face. You just cannot do that these days. After a melee Craddock decides to do the same to Granty. Both deserved to go. End of.

Great work. You are right; severe provocation by No 6 in standing on Grant's foot and then exerting even more downward pressure. Grant raises his hands and pushes the guy in the face. They always say that if you raise your hands then exit is inevitable. But in this instance the provocation is intense. Probably wouldn't get any joy on an appeal however. But this will be remembered come the return at Ox next year. Watch out for some fruity tacles then. What a shame for Grant when he was looking to get back into the side. Really unfortunate that the no 6's unprovoked assault on Grant has ended up with Grant's exit.

Agreed with Smiffy. Also feel it harsh to hate an entire club because of a few fans. Majority may be o.k, you can't tell me we don't have a few less desirable fans!

Great slo-mo, very helpful to make sense of what happened.

All that went on literally behind the refs back. He's dealing with the original incident (the foul on Ferdinand - was it 2 feet off the ground? Can't really see but could have been. Regardless, probably could be red for excessive force).

That means that players could only have been carded for what the linesmen saw and radio'd to the ref. From over 40 yards away, few people are going to be sure that a player has deliberately stood on another players foot, even if they are watching Granty and not the ref going to the original incident.

What you WILL see from 40 yards away is Granty shoving their No.6 at chest/neck height and the resulting fracas. I strongly suspect no-one saw the incident with Granty until he started shoving. If he'd gone down like a sack of spuds instead of shoving players around then he wouldn't have got sent off and would have stood a chance of the Oxford guy getting what he deserved, though I strongly suspect no-one saw it.

There's no point in appealing Granty's red, what he did is a straight red card. What the FA should do is punish the Oxford #6 for stamping on Granty's foot, but I bet they won't because it won't be in the ref's report if no-one saw it.

But, what this does prove, is that Grant actually had a reason to do the awful deed what he did, he didn't just lose his head or anything for no reason!

Good video. I am a huge supporter of Grant but on this occasion I am glad he was sent off. Not for the shove or the fracas but because when ferdinand went down under a very dodgy tackle, the first thing Grant did was go ape at the ref and in my opinion was deliberately trying to get the oxford player sent off. Whether the oxford player deserved to be sent off is neither here nor there or Grants call. He made no motion or gesture toward ferdinand to see if he was ok. I have no time for any player that tries to get a fellow professional sent off. He has let himself, the club and the fans down.

No problem at all with the sending off, looks very similar to the Morecambe one earlier in the season.

I wouldn't be surprised if the FA take a closer look at this, which they can as the ref clearly can't see most of it. Might find a few more bans get dished out.

I have a new hate to Oxford after a large group of fully grown men (which makes it even worse) were standing outside the pizza shop on the corner after the game on saturday found it acceptable to abuse families with children walking past them for no apparent reason. I'm sure they would not be so brave had it been a large group of blokes from southend walking past them.

Looked at the match thread on the Oxford forum last night - they were frothing at the mouth cause the only commentary they could get was the Southend one (the Oxford one was'nt working) and rather than say they had been beaten twice fair and square by the same team in the space of 4 days - all they accused us of was being 'mockneys' and 'cheats' (especially Hall) and all referees were against them!

Back