• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Met him last week on a work job, he gave me a couple of comps for Stockport. Nice fella, said he had to get out of Aldershot as he didn't get on with Holdsworth. Also said team spirit was great here and that Sturrock was trying to rein him in slightly as he only liked one of his full-backs to get forward a lot. With Clohessy doing that down the right it does make you wonder why Luggy signed Straker as he is a left-back who likes to get forward! Guess that's why we've seen him at left midfield a fair bit.

Met him last week on a work job, he gave me a couple of comps for Stockport. Nice fella, said he had to get out of Aldershot as he didn't get on with Holdsworth. Also said team spirit was great here and that Sturrock was trying to rein him in slightly as he only liked one of his full-backs to get forward a lot. With Clohessy doing that down the right it does make you wonder why Luggy signed Straker as he is a left-back who likes to get forward! Guess that's why we've seen him at left midfield a fair bit.

Well I guess if Clohessy is injured then you need the other to get forward- so you need to be able to do both.
Have to say Barker (with his experience) seems to be able to do both pretty well

I can sense a chart coming. Anthony Straker is an Inter National Clap Clap Clap Clap

Congratulations to the lad - I'm sure his family must be made up for him.

With Prosser back from injury and suspension, we are covered at left back now, so hopefully the break and a couple of run-outs will do him good, and he'll come back to challenge for a starting spot.

However, to get in the first team he'll have to dislodge either the club captain, last season's player of the year or a front runner (so far) for this seasons player of the year ! !

Bit unprofessional if you ask me. Missing club games when he is playing in effect against a few pub teams. Poor form.

Makes me wonder if I declared myself Grenadan I might get a call up too.....

I'm a bit out of shape and haven't kicked a ball in 3-4 years, but it doesn't seem like they're too fussy.

Fair to say he hasn't set Roots Hall alight so far, maybe a break from the Essex riveira getting a few full games in along with the pride of playing internationally will give him a confidence boost to come back and make a bigger impression. Good luck to him.

Bit unprofessional if you ask me. Missing club games when he is playing in effect against a few pub teams. Poor form.

I wouldn't begrudge a player from playing international football to be honest. By and large, it's still recognised as one of the ultimate honours for a professional and the calibre of the competition is largely irrelevant. It obviously means a great deal to Straker's family and, from a selfish perspective, left-back isn't exactly a position in which we're struggling for cover. Best of luck to him.

I wouldn't begrudge a player from playing international football to be honest. By and large, it's still recognised as one of the ultimate honours for a professional and the calibre of the competition is largely irrelevant. It obviously means a great deal to Straker's family and, from a selfish perspective, left-back isn't exactly a position in which we're struggling for cover. Best of luck to him.

I know what you are saying but playing for us is his bread and butter. He should for my mind be focusing on getting into our side rather than flying half way round the world to face Wycleaf Jean's Haiti.

Now let me think , mid November sitting on the bench in a cold and cloudy Essex or mid November in Grenada................
It's a tough call

Having a club to play for come the summer or not having a club to play for......mmmmm

Come on Dave, it's International football. Can't blame anyone for wanting to play for their country.

We knew he was in the International set up when we signed him. These aren't his first caps.

He's gone with the blessing of the club so hardly feel it will go against him in any contract issues............

Indeed, we could have declined to let him go; they are not designated International dates. What will probably count against him in any contract issues is the fact we don't value him enough to turn down the request.

Indeed, we could have declined to let him go; they are not designated International dates. What will probably count against him in any contract issues is the fact we don't value him enough to turn down the request.

We should ask the Grenadan F.A. to contribute to the fee we owe Aldershot *

* assuming we haven't already promptly settled this debt ?

Back