• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Thanks to @Jai for alerting me to this on Twitter, as he said in his tweet: "And there you have it, in the second paragraph: the tragic personal loss which affected Wordsworth's performances on the pitch."

Hurts me that my beloved Club could/would not give him the support he needed at such a time, especially when you consider the various support it gave the likes of Mohsni, Ranger, Timlin and, to a lesser extent, Worrall, Hall and Clohessy. Some supporters should also take a long, hard look at themselves.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...fa-cup?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Thanks to @Jai for alerting me to this on Twitter, as he said in his tweet: "And there you have it, in the second paragraph: the tragic personal loss which affected Wordsworth's performances on the pitch."

Hurts me that my beloved Club could/would not give him the support he needed at such a time, especially when you consider the various support it gave the likes of Mohsni, Ranger, Timlin and, to a lesser extent, Worrall, Hall and Clohessy. Some supporters should also take a long, hard look at themselves.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...fa-cup?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Where does the article / he say club could / would not give him the support!?

It doesn’t, I very much doubt the club would have ignored it. At the end of the day we can’t keep hold of a player who isn’t performing just because he has had a bereavement or personal problems.

It doesn’t, I very much doubt the club would have ignored it. At the end of the day we can’t keep hold of a player who isn’t performing just because he has had a bereavement or personal problems.

Agree, it is a very sad story but he wasn't performing well long before that happened.

The fact that it says he found himself without a club is an indication isn't it? And why not, we did it with almost all the others!

He was expecting to stay, the last thing he needed on top of what had happened was the upheaval of finding a new club.

The fact that it says he found himself without a club is an indication isn't it? And why not, we did it with almost all the others!

He was expecting to stay, the last thing he needed on top of what had happened was the upheaval of finding a new club.

What others?

The following is a quote from him in an article in the Echo in November 2017 when PB was talking to him about a new contract, the talks stalled because he felt he deserved better - I doubt that helped his cause with CP and RM but shows that an earlier deal was there for him but he didn't want it.

“I really do love being at Southend and staying here would definitely be my number one option but contract talks have stalled because I don’t think I’m being valued as high as I should be,” said Wordsworth.
I know all footballers might say that during contract talks but if you look at my goals to game ratio and the win percentage when I’m in the team I definitely feel as though I deserve to be valued as one of the best players"

Last edited:
All of those players named were playing well when given ‘support’.
Hall? Mohsni? Ranger? :Think:

Listen, it's clear you don't agree, we're moving away from the purpose of why I posted the link, which is not what I intended. I wanted to show that we supporters shouldn't be so quick to get on players' backs.

Whatever happened with the contract talks under Brown in Nov 2017 as mentioned above, he was close to signing and staying and, I'm sure I've said elsewhere on this thread that Powell told him he'd be playing wide left if he stayed, which is not his position. Woody's not the type to roll over so told him what he thought of that, and that's when things reached an impasse.

Hall? Mohsni? Ranger? :Think:

Listen, it's clear you don't agree, we're moving away from the purpose of why I posted the link, which is not what I intended. I wanted to show that we supporters shouldn't be so quick to get on players' backs.

Whatever happened with the contract talks under Brown in Nov 2017 as mentioned above, he was close to signing and staying and, I'm sure I've said elsewhere on this thread that Powell told him he'd be playing wide left if he stayed, which is not his position. Woody's not the type to roll over so told him what he thought of that, and that's when things reached an impasse.

Hall who ended up playing so well we got a fee for him and he went off to Championship Leeds?

Mohsni who had Premier League West Ham after him and other big clubs.

Ranger was playing well he just didn’t bother with training.

Let’s be honest you’ve got a personal attachment to Wordsworth so you’re always going to be in his corner. How are supporters supposed to know they have personal problems or a bereavement if it’s not common knowledge. Do we have to now take the attitude of ‘oh Kightly’s having a bad game, maybe he’s got personal problems or a bereavement?’ We’d be doing that a lot this season!

I watched Wordsworth closely when CP fitted him into the side at the end of the season. If ever their was a man saying don't re-sign me it was him.

CP even said in an interview how disappointed he was with some, who are playing for a contract.....That was clearly aimed at AW

If he blames his brothers death for ending up at Wimbledon, I'm sure one of the big boys in L1 will sign him when they are relegated in May...…..Then again...

Woody is clearly a natural talent. At his best he could create and score many goals from midfield. He could be a brilliant player. A very likeable player and person. Very popular within the squad. Injuries and a bereavement had a massive impact and he lost his way with us. He became a homer, and performed terribly away from home. We were getting thrashed away from home and he was playing like a passenger. Many times on here posters were asking what was Woody doing for this or that goal? What was that half hearted tackle about before a goal? He wasn't right, and it was time to go.

Great player on he's day but as time progressed hampered by numerous factors those days got fewer and further between , getting older and looking forward it was the right decision , One player who deserves a good reception from us whenever he returns though. He done he's bit.

Back