• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Thats democracy though mate. To a degree, I could understand if the idea was to blanket ban all footballers from making political statements/stances, but that's not what this is. This has all come about because he took a right-leaning stance. It simply wouldn't be a thing, if it was a left-leaning stance.

Without checking, I'm sure that one, or more of the team have probably retweeted one of Lineker's left-leaning ramblings at some point. Yet, nobody has batted an eyelid.

You're right young Nik, and it's symptomatic of the fact that the more moderate right wing amongst us just don't have the thin skin that gets agitated by something that's not to their taste politically.

You're right young Nik, and it's symptomatic of the fact that the more moderate right wing amongst us just don't have the thin skin that gets agitated by something that's not to their taste politically.

Precisely. It never ceases to amaze me, that the left-leaning side of society, who purport to be tolerant, open minded & humane, get so incensed, offended & irate, as soon as they hear a right-wing thought. IMO, it's just another example of trying to silence & subdue reasonable debates and discussions.

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, has said that living with terror attacks - like the one that hit New York at the weekend - is 'part and parcel of living in a big city'.

The full quote:

“Part and parcel of living in a great global city is you’ve got to be prepared for these things, you’ve got to be vigilant, you’ve got to support the police doing an incredibly hard job. We must never accept terrorists being successful, we must never accept that terrorists can destroy our life or destroy the way we lead our lives.”

Unfortunately the power of Twitter means people hear an out of context quote and take it as gospel. What Khan said isn't contraversial at all, all he's saying is the police have to be ready for an attack and need our support, but some people are happy to cherrypick quotes out of context and give them a completely different meaning. Thousands will be too lazy to research the quote, tell their mates and then this twisted version of the story becomes 'fact', it's the internet equivalent of Chinese Whispers.

What Khan said isn't contraversial at all, all he's saying is the police have to be ready for an attack and need our support.

The controversial part is the condescending, hypocritical nature of the statement.

"You've got to be prepared for these things". How much more prep does he want? There's a list of nearly 4000 potential mass murderers, who are continuously allowed to walk freely among us. The names are right there... Stop them.

"You've got to be vigilant and support the police". Sure. Then why are the numerous warnings & reports from members of the public ignored, or not taken seriously enough? what more co-operation and help can be given from the public?

"We must never accept terrorists being successful". Then why is celebratory footage & propaganda allowed to fester on the Internet, instead of being removed?

"We must never accept that terrorists can destroy our life or threat we lead our lives". Yes, very easy to say when you're protected by numerous personal bodyguards, and sit inside a bomb-proof office.

Whether he likes it or not, during his short tenure, Mayor Khan has presided over two terror attacks on his cities streets. He's done nothing but offer cheap soundbytes.

The controversial part is the condescending, hypocritical nature of the statement.

"You've got to be prepared for these things". How much more prep does he want? There's a list of nearly 4000 potential mass murderers, who are continuously allowed to walk freely among us. The names are right there... Stop them.

"You've got to be vigilant and support the police". Sure. Then why are the numerous warnings & reports from members of the public ignored, or not taken seriously enough? what more co-operation and help can be given from the public?

"We must never accept terrorists being successful". Then why is celebratory footage & propaganda allowed to fester on the Internet, instead of being removed?

"We must never accept that terrorists can destroy our life or threat we lead our lives". Yes, very easy to say when you're protected by numerous personal bodyguards, and sit inside a bomb-proof office.

Whether he likes it or not, during his short tenure, Mayor Khan has presided over two terror attacks on his cities streets. He's done nothing but offer cheap soundbytes.

I think those points would be better directed to Mrs May, the Prime Minister during the last three attacks and the Home Secretary before that.

I think you're directing your anger at the wrong person, Khan has nothing to do with MI5 so what is he meant to do about the 3000 people being monitored? Being monitored isn't a crime so telling London Met to arrest them isn't much use since they'll get released within a couple of days and then you've tipped them off that MI5 is watching. Similarly he doesn't have any power to remove propaganda from the internet, he isn't in government he can't just make up new laws to achieve that.

If you want those questions asked you need to ask Amber Rudd since she's responsible for MI5. The London mayor can't do much about your concerns, all he can do is have London Met on the streets ready to respond as quickly as possible to a threat. I don't see how a message of defiance to terrorism is condescending.

The full quote:

Unfortunately the power of Twitter means people hear an out of context quote and take it as gospel. What Khan said isn't contraversial at all, all he's saying is the police have to be ready for an attack and need our support, but some people are happy to cherrypick quotes out of context and give them a completely different meaning. Thousands will be too lazy to research the quote, tell their mates and then this twisted version of the story becomes 'fact', it's the internet equivalent of Chinese Whispers.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...mism-call-commitment-fighting-terror-question

Can you imagine for one second if May had said about a month ago due to Ramadan and the GE we are going to arrest every Muslim on the watch list and even ones who have been reported to the authorities.

The GE would have been about Labour and its supporters screaming draconian racists at everybody. Some of us have seen this all before with the IRA and until the losers attack the British political class then we public will die.

The sad thing is you don't even know what's coming your way when they finally get an organised plot past the authorities because I can assure you the last two are minor to what is going to happen.

Thats democracy though mate. To a degree, I could understand if the idea was to blanket ban all footballers from making political statements/stances, but that's not what this is. This has all come about because he took a right-leaning stance. It simply wouldn't be a thing, if it was a left-leaning stance.

Without checking, I'm sure that one, or more of the team have probably retweeted one of Lineker's left-leaning ramblings at some point. Yet, nobody has batted an eyelid.

When footballers have a platform they should use it wisely. Youngsters look up to them. It's not about left or right, it's about commonsense. I posted the original question because I think footballers should recognise their influence and think about what impact what they say will have on their audience.

Can you imagine for one second if May had said about a month ago due to Ramadan and the GE we are going to arrest every Muslim on the watch list and even ones who have been reported to the authorities.

The GE would have been about Labour and its supporters screaming draconian racists at everybody. Some of us have seen this all before with the IRA and until the losers attack the British political class then we public will die.

The sad thing is you don't even know what's coming your way when they finally get an organised plot past the authorities because I can assure you the last two are minor to what is going to happen.

Comparing a small number of Islamist terrorists to the IRA is fanciful in the extreme.

No gossip from Phil Brown to report? Sorry I forgot he was on his hols.Sounds like you need a break too.:winking:

Comparing a small number of Islamist terrorists to the IRA is fanciful in the extreme.

No gossip from Phil Brown to report? Sorry I forgot he was on his hols.Sounds like you need a break too.:winking:

I will be in Spain tomorrow thanks very much. That won't change History you, JC and Abbott will still be traitors because of your support for the IRA.

Its your attitude that lead to Preachers of hate being allowed to walk the streets of Britain and poison young muslims. So you JC and his gang have to take some responsibility for recent attacks.

I will be in Spain tomorrow thanks very much. That won't change History you, JC and Abbott will still be traitors because of your support for the IRA.

Its your attitude that lead to Preachers of hate being allowed to walk the streets of Britain and poison young muslims. So you JC and his gang have to take some responsibility for recent attacks.

Sorry you are way of line, like in all communities, education starts from within the families, whether Christian, Muslim, Black or white
The parents are the leaders in shaping children and their beliefs, if ignored they will drift into radical ideas as can be said of many people in society .
By all means stop the preachers from teaching their vile hatred, but as in walks of life, it starts within the household

UTS

When footballers have a platform they should use it wisely. Youngsters look up to them. It's not about left or right, it's about commonsense.

Are you implying Wordsworth has shown a lack of common sense, by retweeting a right-leaning sentiment?

I posted the original question because I think footballers should recognise their influence and think about what impact what they say will have on their audience.

So you're advocating that there should be no politically themed tweets, from any footballer?

FWIW, I could get on board with that. But where does it stop? Footballers first, ex-footballers like Lineker next? Soap stars? Pop stars? If you censor one, there would be ground to censor everyone.

I think those points would be better directed to Mrs May, the Prime Minister during the last three attacks and the Home Secretary before that.

I think you're directing your anger at the wrong person.

Ok, let's say you're both right, which means, the Mayor Of London, has no power to enforce the things he's saying, so it was pretty pointless saying anything.

Are you implying Wordsworth has shown a lack of common sense, by retweeting a right-leaning sentiment?

So you're advocating that there should be no politically themed tweets, from any footballer?

FWIW, I could get on board with that. But where does it stop? Footballers first, ex-footballers like Lineker next? Soap stars? Pop stars? If you censor one, there would be ground to censor everyone.

That's not what I'm saying at all for the first part. What I'm saying is that posts should be measured and almost inane.

Yes absolutely - I'm saying anyone with a political stance should get their tweets checked by their agent first. It's not censorship but some stuff can be ruinous to one's career you know.

That's not what I'm saying at all for the first part. What I'm saying is that posts should be measured and almost inane.

Yes absolutely - I'm saying anyone with a political stance should get their tweets checked by their agent first. It's not censorship but some stuff can be ruinous to one's career you know.

Makes sense to me. As long as it works both ways.

Back