• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
Hardly a game passes without Anton looking off the pace, out of position, caught for speed, you name it, he's been accused of it this season. On his day (which was most of last season) he was a 'class above' defender who used his experience and AdamThompson to counter his lack of pace. This season he is getting caught out on a regular basis.

The guy is our captain and a 'name' but does he need a rest? If the answer is yes, then will Phil actually drop him? Not only that if he is out who would we have as a central partnership at the back, Kyprianiou & White? Maybe if Turner or Kiernan was available/fit it would make it easier for Phil. Captain or not, my view is that he needs to take a break now and White and Kyprianou should take over. What do you think chums?

It's true he has looked dodgy at times and that's being polite. I do put some of this down to his mother passing but that being said he didn't end last season too well either. I remember when Rio came to watch him and he had a shocker!

Yes I agree with a lot of what you are saying.

My only reservation is that the improvement in Thompson last season and the assured displays this season by White and Kyprianou have been because they are playing alongside Anton not despite him.

It's a real tricky one as based on form then I do not think he should be in the starting 11, but I wonder if we would miss his influence on the pitch?

Yes I agree with a lot of what you are saying.

My only reservation is that the improvement in Thompson last season and the assured displays this season by White and Kyprianou have been because they are playing alongside Anton not despite him.

It's a real tricky one as based on form then I do not think he should be in the starting 11, but I wonder if we would miss his influence on the pitch?

I actually think they have carried him a little bit tbh.

Without doubt Anton looks a shadow of the player he was for most of last season and his form is a reason for concern.
That said until either Turner or Kiernan are available I would be more inclined to bring in White for Kyprianou who although has impressed me overall still seems to have a mistake in him each game. White was playing well before his injury so considering the debatable form of both the current centre backs seems worthy of a recall for now before hopefully soon we have more options.

I was quite worried every time Anton got the ball last night, he just doesn't have that reassured look about him that turned our season around last campaign. The 2 main concerns are confidence and fitness, his whole demeanor is wrong; I said it before and I'll say it again, he looks troubled, whether he is still in mourning (and totally understandably) for his mother it shows, and also whether he is fit is questionable. He came over to the touchline with about 10 mins left last night to gather the ball and he looked visibly shaken, like he'd just run a marathon and was on the verge of collapse. The guy needs a rest; to get his head together and to rest his body.

Who comes in though? We have no Kiernan (for another 3 weeks?) and no Turner (anyone know if he is ever going to be match fit?). That leaves Kyprianou, White, Demetriou, and Hendrie as our only other defenders, of which none are natural CBs.

Could we survive with Demi / White / Kyprianou / Hendrie as the back 4? Could Lenny play CB? (Looked OK v Rochdale IIRC), so not a lot of options for PB right now.

There lies the problem...

I don't think we should underestimate his influence on the players around him, no coincidence that Thompson improved so dramatically last year, young Kyprianou is improving a team the same rate and John White is playing so well. I also think it should be counted as a factor in Timlin making a string of appearances at left back, and all of that is to do with the influence and confidence that Anton has instilled around him.

Agree, his own form is not that good at the moment, and I still think it is because of his mum's death rather than anything else. He has had a couple of howlers, but who hasn't at this level? Also, for some reason, he was never quite as talented at Rio, and never quite hit the same heights in his career, if he had, he wouldn't be here! He is probably the most experienced player we have, and has played at the highest levels, so that all counts for something. I think that when the time comes to hang up his boots he has all the right attributes to be a fantastic coach, exactly like Coughlan, who if I rightly recall was also getting similar flack with far less of Antons talent!

But, in terms of leaving him in the side or replacing him - at the moment, whilst Keirnan and Turner are injured, Coker is still a couple of months away and we are managing with the players we have, why on earth would you drop him?

He played well and looked pretty fit and mobile against Shrewsbury.

He looks away with the fairies half the time. I don't think he's injured physically. His head just isn't in the game

He looked as if he is carrying some sort of injury to me, trots about as if he has groin problems, still a good player to have but did look a bit below par last night and off the pace at times.

I think it's important to say that none of us (as far as I know anyway) knows whether his form is down to age, injury, personal circumstances or even a disagreement within the squad. What I do know is that although he always seems a good influence to other players on the pitch I'm not sure if that is enough to retain his place if his form remains poor. The Club and the fans have aspirations of a play-off place this season, and to achieve that we need a solid defence. Can he play through this? I really hope so as I rate the bloke, but how long can it be allowed to continue. Tough shout Phil.

I don't think we should underestimate his influence on the players around him, no coincidence that Thompson improved so dramatically last year, young Kyprianou is improving a team the same rate and John White is playing so well. I also think it should be counted as a factor in Timlin making a string of appearances at left back, and all of that is to do with the influence and confidence that Anton has instilled around him.

Agree, his own form is not that good at the moment, and I still think it is because of his mum's death rather than anything else. He has had a couple of howlers, but who hasn't at this level? Also, for some reason, he was never quite as talented at Rio, and never quite hit the same heights in his career, if he had, he wouldn't be here! He is probably the most experienced player we have, and has played at the highest levels, so that all counts for something. I think that when the time comes to hang up his boots he has all the right attributes to be a fantastic coach, exactly like Coughlan, who if I rightly recall was also getting similar flack with far less of Antons talent!

But, in terms of leaving him in the side or replacing him - at the moment, whilst Keirnan and Turner are injured, Coker is still a couple of months away and we are managing with the players we have, why on earth would you drop him?

John White was brilliant at centre back at Fleetwood last season when he played INSTEAD of Ferdinand who managed to injure himself in the warm up.

He doesn't need to play alongside Ferdinand to demonstrate that he is an excellent centre back in his own right and has significantly improved with age and experience.

I put his change of form this season down to the fact that we are asking him to do a job he has never done before; be the dominant centre back.

Throughout his career he has been in the "sweeper" style role, with a big centre half alongside doing the clearing stuff. He reads the game brilliantly but this aspect is affected by him trying to go head to head with the big forwards. As good as White has been, he is not a sweeper and not a dominant centre half either. He does as well as he could possibly do but the big guys have put us to the sword this season a bit due to our lack of height.

Ranger and Wordsworth have massively assisted at set pieces but we still look vulnerable with the ball in play, hence the two goals last Saturday and we were lucky not to concede yesterday.

As soon as Kiernan and Turner get fit, you will see a better Ferdinand, of that I am sure.

He looked as if he is carrying some sort of injury to me, trots about as if he has groin problems, still a good player to have but did look a bit below par last night and off the pace at times.

Does he still move like Mark Phillips?

Brown said in his post-match interview that he had a tight hamstring during the game. This seems to be a recurring problem though. It wouldn't surprise me that when all CB's are fit, Anton undergoes an operation on that hamstring.

Brown said in his post-match interview that he had a tight hamstring during the game. This seems to be a recurring problem though. It wouldn't surprise me that when all CB's are fit, Anton undergoes an operation on that hamstring.

Anton has had hamstring problems for years...i listened to a podcast with Danni gabbidon, he took the pee out of antons hamstring on a few occasions, they were together at West ham. There's the reason why we have him and no one else would.

Back