• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rare for me to start a thread but I am genuinely curious to hear other fans opinions.

It seems most people would agree that he has had a shocker of a season and he seems well past it. My Question is, what are other fans opinion of the man constantly on twitter talking about West Ham nearly every day, two West Ham related tweets yesterday alone.

I understand that he is a West Ham fan etc and he is allowed to support another club but as SUFC captain is this a bit disrespectful towards us, especially considering he doesn't really tweet much about SUFC? Throw in the irons sign that he made with his arms at Millwall away last season it's something that really bothers me. Probably more so because he has been so poor for months now.

I am not a liker of West Ham and I just feel that it isn't appropriate behaviour from our so called captain. Seems to me his focus is everywhere but SUFC. Also bare in mind that when Leonard moved he wished him luck on twitter and referred to Sheff Utd as a 'stepping stone'. Needless to say he got a lot of abuse from Sheff fan's and again I think it's out of order to disrespect other clubs so easily.

Thoughts?

His affiliation to West Ham doesn't really bother me but his performances do and worringly he still has 18 months left on a contract.

His form this season shouldn't have come as a shock. He ran out of steam at the end of last season.

I'm not bothered about the West Ham stuff although am willing to concede that, not living in Essex, my animosity towards that club isn't as keen as it may be for others.

He is still showing glimpses of class but they do appear to be all too fleeting now. As Ayrshire says, those 18 months on his contract are a worry.

Yea have to agree, well past his best. Could well be his last season, all the 'ammers' stuff is a bit unprofessional. I don't remember the 'Goat' lauding Man City when he finished with us...a proper pro through and through!

This is why it is wise to not follow your heroes on twitter.

I also think this is the type of thing that would be happily overlooked if he was producing the goods on the pitch.

Not bothered by his twittering, but see how it could be seen as disrespectful.

He has been poor this season, and maybe its a season to far for him.

the tweet about Lenny and the Sheffield UTD being a stepping stone - its almost certainly accurate - I'm sure Lenny will not want to finish his career there, so therefore it is a stepping stone - hopefully for Lenny on to better things..

This is why it is wise to not follow your heroes on twitter.

I also think this is the type of thing that would be happily overlooked if he was producing the goods on the pitch.

Certainly not a hero of mine haha but like I said in my original post I agree that perhaps if he was playing better then maybe I might not have noticed it so much.

The guy has been ok in football, historically, but his days and legs are gone. I accept that he has experience and can aid others around him but a captain needs to be able to lead by example and not just be an on pitch mouthpiece. He is, beyond any doubt, a liability on the pitch. With 18 months left to go on his contract he should be encouraged to help in training or coaching with the youths. He should not be anywhere near the first team. It's not a criticism of him as the loss of competitiveness may well be a surprise to him too. He has had off field distractions, niggling injuries and his body is just not prepared to carry on.

Rare for me to start a thread but I am genuinely curious to hear other fans opinions.

It seems most people would agree that he has had a shocker of a season and he seems well past it. My Question is, what are other fans opinion of the man constantly on twitter talking about West Ham nearly every day, two West Ham related tweets yesterday alone.

I understand that he is a West Ham fan etc and he is allowed to support another club but as SUFC captain is this a bit disrespectful towards us, especially considering he doesn't really tweet much about SUFC? Throw in the irons sign that he made with his arms at Millwall away last season it's something that really bothers me. Probably more so because he has been so poor for months now.

I am not a liker of West Ham and I just feel that it isn't appropriate behaviour from our so called captain. Seems to me his focus is everywhere but SUFC. Also bare in mind that when Leonard moved he wished him luck on twitter and referred to Sheff Utd as a 'stepping stone'. Needless to say he got a lot of abuse from Sheff fan's and again I think it's out of order to disrespect other clubs so easily.

Thoughts?
It doesn't bother me that much, but I thought this exchange was pretty cringe. He followed it up with a tweet something on the lines of 'can see I've got a few nibbles, I just have one word to say, TEVEZ'. Just thought that was pretty childish...can't imagine Lenny would have been too happy with Anton for that.

Just wondering if anybody has got a spare few minutes to see if Anton said something derogatory about women, religion, race or just called someone on Twitter a **** or something. It would really help this thread in deciding if his social media presence should have a bearing on his future employment with the club.

Who gives a ****. He supports West Ham, doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Performances on the pitch are a separate issue and unfortunately he just seems to be on the decline quicker than expected.

Last season Anton was jaw droppingly good. Different level to everyone else on the pitch.
This season however it's gone...just gone.
Physically looks shot to pieces.

As someone who never uses ****ter I find these faux outrage spats with celebs and politicians difficult to comprehend let alone explain.

Some of the abuse Anton has taken from our so called fans means he joins the long list of players who have ended their time on bad terms with us....MAF is another. So can't blame him for now feeling a bit more West Ham.

I was at Millwall and heard the abuse he took. They can bulls*** all they like about now being a family club but we all know the truth and that's why they targeted Anton for special treatment....Not only for being an ex hammer but black as well. So when he did the Irons sign he went up in my estimation because he showed those idiots in the Dockers stand up completely for what SOME of them are.

As someone who never uses ****ter I find these faux outrage spats with celebs and politicians difficult to comprehend let alone explain.

Some of the abuse Anton has taken from our so called fans means he joins the long list of players who will end their time on bad terms with us....MAF is another. So can't blame him for now feeling a bit more West Ham.

I was at Millwall and heard the abuse he took. They can bulls*** all they like about now being a family club but we all know the truth and that's why they targeted Anton for special treatment....Not only for being an ex hammer but black as well. So when he did the Irons sign he went up in my estimation because he showed those idiots in the Dockers stand up completely for what SOME of them are.

Who are the others out of curiosity?

Who are the others out of curiosity?

I was talking mainly of players from the not so distant past, so perhaps I should change the wording to have.

There are a few in the current squad, some of whom have been sadly arguing with fans this season both home, away and even on the train.

I was talking mainly of players from the not so distant past, so perhaps I should change the wording to have.

There are a few in the current squad, some of whom have been sadly arguing with fans this season both home, away and even on the train.
It’s your fault the players argue, they are fed up with you continually telling them brown is always right :winking:. You need to leave them alone

It's a shame that some of us fans have argued with players. It is, though, a byproduct of the frustration we feel because of the position the club is in and some less than genuine performances from the players. I have not personally argued with any of them and hope I wouldn't but even the brightest and most sensible supporter, due to the emotion and passion, can find their tongue running away with them. Justifying? No. Understanding? Yes. I am sure the same players reap the plaudits on a train journey after a comfortable and impressive victory. Er.. I take that back. That scenario is yet to play out.

Last season Anton was jaw droppingly good. Different level to everyone else on the pitch.
This season however it's gone...just gone.
Physically looks shot to pieces.

What he said.

Poor Anton hasn't gone downhill in terms of performance, he has gone off the edge of the cliff.

On that issue has anyone watched training? I haven't, so my comment is based solely on what I was told in that he is a poor trainer and if so that may explain his lack of mobility, speed and endurance on match day.

The other week it was like watching Anton of last season in the first half when he sprinted back and forced the (Fleetwood?) forward out wide but it was pitiful watching him try and get his breath back after - reminded me of my final years in Southend Sunday League.

Back