• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anton Ferdinand

He strikes me as the sort of bloke who will play for the love of it now. Look at his CV and he certainly doesn't seem to mind the travelling. Hopefully he fancies staying up in Scotland and McCall at Ayr takes a look :Smile:
I remember going to a pre-season at Tannadice when McCall was the manager. The stadium announcer was trying to gee everyone up with talk of the 'McCall revolution!'. Pretty sure they finished 9th in the league that year..... :Smile:

It certainly explained why Anton seemed more at odds with everything once SCP arrived.

Before that, he was always the last to leave the pitch as he thanked the supporters before walking off, but after PB left, he was first down the tunnel.

'Let down by a family friend' does not make very pleasant reading and has echoes of other less than amicable departures as I recall from other players who thought they had a deal.

It's never pleasant letting someone go and it's not that surprising that Anton hasn't gotten over it as it's often easier for players to blame managers than accept their body is failing them.

However, hindsight clearly vindicates Powell. Since being released 16 months ago, Anton has managed just 18 league matches and has been on the winning side just once , which is even worse than we have done (in the 11 matches he missed/was an unused sub St Mirren won 3). He is currently without a club.

What would have been shameful would have been for Powell to let him stay only because he was a family friend.

I think Anton still has a lot to offer but as a coach not a player.

It's never pleasant letting someone go and it's not that surprising that Anton hasn't gotten over it as it's often easier for players to blame managers than accept their body is failing them.

However, hindsight clearly vindicates Powell. Since being released 16 months ago, Anton has managed just 18 league matches and has been on the winning side just once , which is even worse than we have done (in the 11 matches he missed/was an unused sub St Mirren won 3). He is currently without a club.

What would have been shameful would have been for Powell to let him stay only because he was a family friend.

I think Anton still has a lot to offer but as a coach not a player.

You right about that bit but CP chose not to pick Anton in his first two games. He came on when JW was injured at Posh and had an excellent last 20 minutes when we defended a 1-0 lead.

After a late pull out from the Blackpool away fixture, CP was clearly not impressed. Anton was an unused sub for a number of games until Turner was injured.

Not taking sides here, just pointing out CP had made his decision before the summer break.

Interesting article and one that highlights how little we know what is affecting players. It is a little one sided for me though. I can understand his pain and the lack of caring he went through but then don't play. Players often forget the human side of the fans. We are not just gate receipts or targets for merchandising. On any given match day there are countless violin moments on the terraces. Those that have recently lost a parent, a sibling or a child. People who have just been diagnosed with life changing or life ending illnesses. Relationship breaks, redundancy etc etc
Up and down the country some fans attend the matches for that moment of escapism and then are smacked down by crap performances and players who do not give a ****.
When we hear a fan venting his spleen, in a way we consider over the top or abusive, we have page of threads castigating them. Some will do it out of the sheer frustration and pain that life has hit them with. If some players gave as much care for the fans and their problems, as they want to receive for the problems they say affects their performance, then maybe things might move forward. Footballers have a celebrity status but that does not mean their anguish is any more important than anyone else's.

I think he also helped Kyps along, when he played with him at the back, which developed his game quite quickly.

He is a good bloke is Anton. And he was a good player for us. His type of in control, intelligent centre back with oodles of experience would be just the thing for an uncertain goal keeper to need and want marshalling the defence.
Imo he was treated poorly by club and many "supporters ",
Getting fans back in the game HAS to happen sooner the better.

The continuing banning of even covid distancing fans is quite frankly astonishing. Just an example ... Boisedales in Canary Wharf are hosting the brand new heavies early November. Allowed to have 150 fans in an enclosed venue . Still not even one fan allowed into stadiums with 7000 plus capacities at all levels . I don’t get it .

Anton Ferdinand, Football, racism and me next Monday on BBC1 at 9PM

There was a really good article about him in the Guardian the other day:

He speaks quite movingly about his feelings and how he made his decisions about what to do.

The continuing banning of even covid distancing fans is quite frankly astonishing. Just an example ... Boisedales in Canary Wharf are hosting the brand new heavies early November. Allowed to have 150 fans in an enclosed venue . Still not even one fan allowed into stadiums with 7000 plus capacities at all levels . I don’t get it .

I am surprised there are 150 people who remember The Brand New Heavies.

Back