• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anton Ferdinand

Ferdinand was brilliant when he first arrived at the club. His composure and reading of the game was just what we needed after a rocky start. However, by the end of the season he was really struggling and his mobility was on the wane. His legs had completely gone by the start of the next season.

He was superb in his 1st season, really turned our fortunes around when he arrived, As much as I love Adam Barrett, Anton was a massive improvement at that time and it showed in our defensive displays. I personally think PB made a mistake with Anton after that 1st season, he needed to be game managed better and he wasn't up to playing 2 games a week constantly. Think a fresher Anton would have continued to make an impact but he never had any recovery time.

I personally think he cared about the club too, think one last payday exemplified is a bit harsh.

Maybe he'd have been better playing only every other game but that is then hugely disruptive to the side when you change the defence every game.

Either way he always seemed to be a sticking plaster - a short term solution that papered over the cracks.

The opportunity cost of signing him was addressing the position long term and we see what the result of that is now.

Maybe he'd have been better playing only every other game but that is then hugely disruptive to the side when you change the defence every game.

Either way he always seemed to be a sticking plaster - a short term solution that papered over the cracks.

The opportunity cost of signing him was addressing the position long term and we see what the result of that is now.

Anton was one of the few players we had at the back who got the best out of other defenders in recent years. Thompson, Coker and Turner come to mind.

We have since had 4 managers and plenty of budget to replace a leader like him. But Lennon and White have been to unfortunate with broken bones, Dieng not capable, Hobson not experienced. Shaunessy just didn't seem to settle in a disastrous year and Kiernan to selfish and unprofessional. The argument would be he should have been allowed to go.

We have also been forced to field some in at the deep end like Taylor and MMN. What we certainly have not had is a CB who looks remotely like a leader or even organised enough to prevent 100 goals a season being conceded.

Still trying to blame PB for all our woes has no credibility when you add up the points from our last 3 seasons..

Last edited:
Anton was one of the few players we had at the back who got the best out of other defenders in recent years. Thompson, Coker and Turner come to mind.

We have since had 4 managers and plenty of budget to replace a leader like him. But Lennon and White have been to unfortunate with broken bones, Dieng not capable, Hobson not experienced. Shaunessy just didn't seem to settle in a disastrous year and Kiernan to selfish and unprofessional. The argument would be he should have been allowed to go.

We have also been forced to field some in at the deep end like Taylor and MMN. What we certainly have not had is a CB who looks remotely like a leader or even organised enough to prevent 100 goals a season being conceded.

Still trying to blame PB for all our woes has no credibility when you add up the points from our last 3 seasons..

Yes, we have had many good leaders in defence, especially as part of our more successful teams, Jacques, Moody, Cusack, Barratt spring immediately to mind, is one of the things missing in recent seasons.

Yes, we have had many good leaders in defence, especially as part of our more successful teams, Jacques, Moody, Cusack, Barratt spring immediately to mind, is one of the things missing in recent seasons.

Not to mention Paul Clark.

I wouldn’t argue about the first 3,but we weren’t successful when Sam played and he didn’t do a lot of defending.

Really bothers me that I didn't know what he was going through during his second season with us as I was highly critical of him, had I known I wouldn't of been.

I thought the documentary was brilliant and all credit to him for doing it. Poor bloke has a lot of guilt on his shoulders and is clearly still grieving for his mum as well.

Really bothers me that I didn't know what he was going through during his second season with us as I was highly critical of him, had I known I wouldn't of been.

I thought the documentary was brilliant and all credit to him for doing it. Poor bloke has a lot of guilt on his shoulders and is clearly still grieving for his mum as well.

When I manage teams at work I always tell them that there are three things you do with a mistake:

1. Admit it and apologise. It's amazing the reaction you get from people when you accept that something you did was wrong.

2. Put it right. If you make a mistake it's your responsibility to fix it.

3. Learn from it. Make sure you do everything you can not to make the same mistake again.

In terms of what you said above: you've done number 1. I would argue that 2 would be difficult short of contacting Anton yourself. But the most important one is number 3. Are you going to make the same mistake again? Are you going to criticise another player in the future without knowing what is going on in the background?

When I manage teams at work I always tell them that there are three things you do with a mistake:

1. Admit it and apologise. It's amazing the reaction you get from people when you accept that something you did was wrong.

2. Put it right. If you make a mistake it's your responsibility to fix it.

3. Learn from it. Make sure you do everything you can not to make the same mistake again.

In terms of what you said above: you've done number 1. I would argue that 2 would be difficult short of contacting Anton yourself. But the most important one is number 3. Are you going to make the same mistake again? Are you going to criticise another player in the future without knowing what is going on in the background?

Yup, all fair and extremely good points and I'll definitely bear this in mind going forward!

John Terry got off so lightly with this! Had this have happened now with all the BLM stuff I imagine the outcome would’ve been very different. Disgusting human being!
I thought Ferdinand admitted calling Terry the c word 1st for sleeping with a teammates wife? Terry replied with the c word but put a factually correct label before the c.Finished his England career and cost hiim Financially.I wonder if Terry was playing now would he take the knee? I rather hope he wouldn’t .

I thought Ferdinand admitted calling Terry the c word 1st for sleeping with a teammates wife? Terry replied with the c word but put a factually correct label before the c.Finished his England career and cost hiim Financially.I wonder if Terry was playing now would he take the knee? I rather hope he wouldn’t .
I am guessing you didn't watch the programme?
Terry has been taking the knee with Villa players and staff, he also has apparently been castigated by some of his previous "fans" for the hypocrisy involved on open media.

Which is why I have said many times on here that people need to give the players a break sometimes, we have no idea what they're dealing with in their personal lives. Same thing happened with Anthony Wordsworth after the death of his beloved older brother. They are all human beings with human being problems to deal with, don't judge till you've walked in their shoes.

Which is why I have said many times on here that people need to give the players a break sometimes, we have no idea what they're dealing with in their personal lives. Same thing happened with Anthony Wordsworth after the death of his beloved older brother. They are all human beings with human being problems to deal with, don't judge till you've walked in their shoes.

Ok calm down, jesus I was just saying what I said and no need for you start pointing the finger

Interesting article in today's Echo regarding Anton and his second season. Anyone who keeps going on about "his legs were gone" I would suggests reads this - and anyone else ?

Back