• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anton was running on empty for the last 20 minutes against Wigan, and I didn't see the Bury game so can't comment. This is to be expected as he hasn't been 100% fit all season.

Maybe him running straight off is physio related? Maybe getting straight down the tunnel, doing a warm down, getting in an ice bath or whatever they do these days makes it easier for him to recover and be that 1 or 2 % better prepared for the next game.

Standing around for a couple of minutes and then slowly trudging off may increase the risk of stiffening up?

Do I really care if the players clap my support? Do I ****!! Is is that important? NO

He was walking on empty for about the last 10 minutes at Bury.

It was freezing cold though, so maybe he just needed a **** at full time? He is getting on a bit...

Can't see where the debate is myself. Anyone who regularly targets certain players with abuse while they are in a Southend shirt is a ****. Anyone who does it from the safety of the stand or the internet and would never do it face to face is a spineless ****.

I don't care if you've paid your money...So have the rest of us.

Can't see where the debate is myself. Anyone who regularly targets certain players with abuse while they are in a Southend shirt is a ****. Anyone who does it from the safety of the stand or the internet and would never do it face to face is a spineless ****.

I don't care if you've paid your money...So have the rest of us.

Those that choose to target Southend players, relentlessly, no matter what, see things and express things differently to many of us. From the stands it is unfortunate. From the keyboard, it is not necessarily about 'safety' but more the opportunity to vent or express their opinion. I have criticised players and management but would defend the right to my opinion if face to face with them.

The debate is how these fans are seen. Players are important and so are, more so, the fans, and I fail to see the difference between some fans that call certain players a **** and fans that call other fans a ****.

Debate is fine and a standard for a forum but the constant labelling and abusing of those with a differing opinion is counter productive. You and I often disagreed about PB and that was just about opinion. Sadly, and I genuinely felt for him, he too was let down, in the end, by unprofessionalism from a number of key players. As I had been a critic of PB, it would seem churlish of me, not to be as critical of certain players that contributed to, and conspired, to his downfall.

It's opinions. Many of us differ how we see events, instances, decisions, but that's what makes football so engaging. There is so much talk of unity being necessary for the team and yet that does not seem to apply to the fans.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the Pompey game, and without doubt I will hear comments among the crowd that differ to mine, along with unnecessary foul language etc but it will not detract from my being able to formulate my own opinion of what I see played out before me. UTB

Those that choose to target Southend players, relentlessly, no matter what, see things and express things differently to many of us. From the stands it is unfortunate. From the keyboard, it is not necessarily about 'safety' but more the opportunity to vent or express their opinion. I have criticised players and management but would defend the right to my opinion if face to face with them.

The debate is how these fans are seen. Players are important and so are, more so, the fans, and I fail to see the difference between some fans that call certain players a **** and fans that call other fans a ****.

Debate is fine and a standard for a forum but the constant labelling and abusing of those with a differing opinion is counter productive. You and I often disagreed about PB and that was just about opinion. Sadly, and I genuinely felt for him, he too was let down, in the end, by unprofessionalism from a number of key players. As I had been a critic of PB, it would seem churlish of me, not to be as critical of certain players that contributed to, and conspired, to his downfall.

It's opinions. Many of us differ how we see events, instances, decisions, but that's what makes football so engaging. There is so much talk of unity being necessary for the team and yet that does not seem to apply to the fans.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the Pompey game, and without doubt I will hear comments among the crowd that differ to mine, along with unnecessary foul language etc but it will not detract from my being able to formulate my own opinion of what I see played out before me. UTB

There is a big difference between opinion, constructive criticism and just abuse.

Even in the past we had characters who would shout something witty from the terraces. Now with the bullying culture of social media and the safety of all seater stadiums people feel they can get away with more vile stuff.

Like I say if your going to snarl at Anton and tell him to F... off from the safety of row M in the East stand why not wait for him outside and say it to his face.

There is a big difference between opinion, constructive criticism and just abuse.

Even in the past we had characters who would shout something witty from the terraces. Now with the bullying culture of social media and the safety of all seater stadiums people feel they can get away with more vile stuff.

Like I say if your going to snarl at Anton and tell him to F... off from the safety of row M in the East stand why not wait for him outside and say it to his face.

I guess some are frustrated and feel the player in question should know their sentiments via a terrace tirade. To then suggest they should follow it up with direct confrontation is maybe more than they want to do. It's not necessarily about being spineless but they see the venting is enough. Trust me, I have supported this club for decades and there have been more than enough fans, that I have met or seen, that would not be a shrinking violet in a confrontation with any of the players but I doubt any of us really want to see that.

Personally, if I met any of the players or mangers, I would be happy to discuss my views. I would not have to reduce it to an abusive tirade or make it personal but I am damned if I apologised for having an opinion.

I do get what you are saying, and believe me, I wish some fans would curb their comments and language, but I stop at the point of then abusing them. It is somewhat hypocritical to act in a way I disapprove of them. In fairness, its about where you are in life, and to say, in the past, I was not a lot more hot headed than I am now, would be less than truthful. I am no less passionate about my team but I do try to be accepting of viewpoints. I may disagree with much but then many disagree with me. That's the point of having a personal opinion.

I think we are talking about two different things possibly.

Pretty much all of us will show frustration with a player at some point. The players do with each other. Nothing wrong with that.

The line for me is crossed when an individual player or manager is targeted relentlessly.

I think we are talking about two different things possibly.

Pretty much all of us will show frustration with a player at some point. The players do with each other. Nothing wrong with that.

The line for me is crossed when an individual player or manager is targeted relentlessly.

Exactly this. I thought the gist of this thread was mainly to do with abuse and booing directed at Anton prior to the game, now most of us do moan and groan to some extent when a player makes a mistake, but I feel that the booing prior to kick off is well out of order, whether that person has a right to do it or not is another matter, I don't want to start infringing people's human rights after all, do I. :winking:

It was, by and large, about Anton, but it should be about any SUFC player/staff. Lets have a show of hands of all those that barracked RM before, during and after a game. Those that protested outside his home. Back in the day, RM, was and still is to a degree, abused by far more people than Anton has been. Is that good for the team, the atmosphere etc? Perhaps, all those that protested, now consider themselves as idiots and morons and not a true supporter?

i don't agree with some of the verbals, protests etc, against the players and staff but I don't consider all those that do it to be a) idiots or b) less of a supporter. Its the personal abuse that needs to be curbed, not just to SUFC employees, but to fellow fans as well. Accept the view of others and agree to disagree.

Again, it's two different things though.

Protesting against a chairman perceived to be destroying a club (not RM; but say Owen Oyston) is fair enough.

But seriously what on earth has Anton Ferdinand done to warrant the abuse and personal attacks he has received?

I don't consider someone hurling abuse at an innocent player before they've even kicked a ball, a supporter of the club. The clue is in the word.

Again, it's two different things though.

Protesting against a chairman perceived to be destroying a club (not RM; but say Owen Oyston) is fair enough.

But seriously what on earth has Anton Ferdinand done to warrant the abuse and personal attacks he has received?

I don't consider someone hurling abuse at an innocent player before they've even kicked a ball, a supporter of the club. The clue is in the word.

Different? Its only some peoples opinion that RM has done wrong. Some, myself included, consider he is doing his best. The abuse is wrong on both counts but that does not mean, whoever has a different opinion, is a moron or less of a supporter just because we don't like it.

No, I agree. They are not a moron.

They just spoil it all for the majority. So maybe selfish is a better word.

We are talking here about the type who sits a couple of rows behind you banging on and on the whole game about one player. Drives you nuts. Often it's unwarranted as well.

Also, I was referring to Oyston by the way. Not RM

It can't be right in any way, shape or form to abuse a player before he has even set foot on the pitch. If a player is low on confidence then casting doubts about his parentage and bedroom habits is going to make the situation a whole lot worse. The old fella who stands in the middle of South Bank Lower and the group who sit at the back of block K really need to look at themselves, as do the stewards who stand in South East Corner who not only let the situation get so bad that the player feels he has to defend himself, but they also laugh and joke with the perpetraters after Anton sits back down. The bloody lot of them are an embarrassment.

Don't know why certain members of our "fan" base can't leave Anton alone, and just support him. He turns up to train every day, he plays for us, and despite him not having the best of times on a personal and professional level, he has still 'got it' as his recent performances have proved. I can't see anything wrong with him supporting another team, as this is his right. He is a professional and he gets on with his job with us. Despite what some might think, I am glad he has chosen to come and play for us. He has a wealth of experience, and despite some poor performances he is still a fantastic asset, and between him and Turner, we have a very capable and solid pairing at the back.

Let the the man do his job, and give him a break! This has gone on far too long, and it is old, disproportionate and downright nasty.

Don't know why certain members of our "fan" base can't leave Anton alone, and just support him. He turns up to train every day, he plays for us, and despite him not having the best of times on a personal and professional level, he has still 'got it' as his recent performances have proved. I can't see anything wrong with him supporting another team, as this is his right. He is a professional and he gets on with his job with us. Despite what some might think, I am glad he has chosen to come and play for us. He has a wealth of experience, and despite some poor performances he is still a fantastic asset, and between him and Turner, we have a very capable and solid pairing at the back.

Let the the man do his job, and give him a break! This has gone on far too long, and it is old, disproportionate and downright nasty.

I think people are not always getting it, and they think it’s becasue of West Ham he gets the boooooos... from what I have seen personally (where I sit) it’s his performance that was getting the boo, the fifty pence shape head, some of the headers, when he should have kicked it into row Z, but tries to pass, seemingly undroppable under Brown, when White was a better option. Move on, it’s a new era? It’s what I saw. I have nothing against West Ham, and out players can have a hammers or a Colchester tattoo, as long as they play well for us.

I think people are not always getting it, and they think it’s becasue of West Ham he gets the boooooos... from what I have seen personally (where I sit) it’s his performance that was getting the boo, the fifty pence shape head, some of the headers, when he should have kicked it into row Z, but tries to pass, seemingly undroppable under Brown, when White was a better option. Move on, it’s a new era? It’s what I saw. I have nothing against West Ham, and out players can have a hammers or a Colchester tattoo, as long as they play well for us.

i get it completely - there are several games where he was clearly struggling and ought to have been either substituted or on the bench, where John White was a very capable and credible option. The point is, for me at least, in those games, he tried his best, which wasn't perhaps good enough. But he was there, trying to do his job. And that is why the stick he has got is so unfair and unfounded. Would you like to be boo'd by 6000 people if you have a bad day / few months at work?? Would it help you do your job better or make you more inclined to try harder to make things better? Do you think it is okay to kick someone while they are already in a bad way?

He lost his mother in pre-season for goodness sake, and I don't care what people say, I would stake a lot to guess that has almost certainly been the biggest reason why things haven't been good for him this season. He needs some compassion, not a hard time from our so called fans.

Does that mean that you don't rate the way he plays, nor the shape of his head and you boo him as a result?

i get it completely - there are several games where he was clearly struggling and ought to have been either substituted or on the bench, where John White was a very capable and credible option. The point is, for me at least, in those games, he tried his best, which wasn't perhaps good enough. But he was there, trying to do his job. And that is why the stick he has got is so unfair and unfounded. Would you like to be boo'd by 6000 people if you have a bad day / few months at work?? Would it help you do your job better or make you more inclined to try harder to make things better? Do you think it is okay to kick someone while they are already in a bad way?

He lost his mother in pre-season for goodness sake, and I don't care what people say, I would stake a lot to guess that has almost certainly been the biggest reason why things haven't been good for him this season. He needs some compassion, not a hard time from our so called fans.

If you read my post it’s says I hear people near me boo, I’ve lost my father, I know what’s it’s like, on the other hand the surgeon who carried out a major operation on my dad, had lost his the day before. My personal opinion is he is not good enough for our team, as the forum sticky says, don’t get on peoples back if they have a general opinion, we are allowed to say if we don’t rate a player.

Back