• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Antony and the Johnsons

The usual once every 3 or 4 years decision where the rank outsider wins.
Same as the year Roni Size won it.

Quite strange really, i would have thought if the Kaiser chiefs didnt win it would have been the Magic numbers!! Strange decisions!
rock.gif

Very curious choice, can't comment on the band themselves as I've never heard of them!

Only heard a couple of tracks from the album and it's, erm...intriguing. Not like a lot I've heard before. His voice takes a lot of getting used to.

So, as KT Tunstall and Seth Wakeman were saying on Radio 2 last night, if one of the reasons the prize is given is for originality, then they deserved to win. I'll probably end up getting it, I reckon it could be a grower.

After hearing Seth Wakeman play live last night, that'll be an album I'm looking out for as well. Some top modern folk.

Saw one of the judges interviewed on BBC Four last night. He was unbelievably enthusiastic about Antony and the Jonsons.

I suppose you have to look at why they were giving out a prize. The likes of, say, Kaiser Chiefs, Hard-Fi and Bloc Party may well have produced very good albums, but they've already enjoyed plenty of commercial success.

Maybe this year's panel were keen to give a commercial leg-up to an act that they feel deserves a wider audience.

You can't deny the influence of the Mercury Prize, they will sell plenty more records now.

Whether they go the same way as other previous winners (Talvin Singh or Roni Size anybody) remains to be seen of course...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ Sep. 07 2005,12:39)]You can't deny the influence of the Mercury Prize, they will sell plenty more records now.
Just heard on the radio that their sales are up 900 % which is impressive if not predictable as before last night they where unheard off by many people ( me being one of them).

Roni Size was a deserved winner. I still listen to New Forms (I presume that was the album that won), and Brown Paper Bag in particular is an all time classic tune.

Part of the reason Roni Size will have disappeared off your radar (other than that genre has probably never really been on your radar) is that he will have been working in various collaborations under different names. Check out in particular Breakbeat Era's Ultra Obscene, which was the result of a collaboration with Die.

ps From the brief clip I heard this morning, did this year's winner sounds a bit like Velvet underground or was I still half asleep?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Sep. 07 2005,15:46)]Roni Size was a deserved winner. I still listen to New Forms (I presume that was the album that won), and Brown Paper Bag in particular is an all time classic tune.
Agreed, agreed and er, agreed.

wow.gif

I think I need to go and lie down... can't have me agreeng with so much HKB says in such a short space of time...

oops.gif
tounge.gif

Matt

(P.S. Yes, Matt - New Forms was, indeed, the album that won. Oddly enough, I've also got Talvin Singh's OK - another Mercury winner...)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Sep. 07 2005,15:46)]Part of the reason Roni Size will have disappeared off your radar (other than that genre has probably never really been on your radar)
I own 'New Forms' too. So I guess it has been on my radar.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 07 2005,15:48)]can't have me agreeng with so much HKB says in such a short space of time...
I see you still can't bring yourself to say that you were agreeing with me.

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Sep. 07 2005,16:35)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 07 2005,15:48)]can't have me agreeng with so much HKB says in such a short space of time...
I see you still can't bring yourself to say that you were agreeing with me.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Truly a Freudian slip...

laugh.gif

Back