• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

pringlejon

Pringello Indexinator
My house is cold.
Electrician/Plumber/Corgi people are expensive.

All thermostat's are pointing to 22 degrees.
Yet house temperature was 16 degrees, so we look at the boiler and come to the conclusion that the radiator thermostat is too low to be able to heat the house. However, this knob has broken (it's a plastic one...dont really no how else to describe it). Well anyway, it's not even attached to the boiler, it seems to have maybe snapped off, and while we were trying to turn it up (even though its broken) we may have inadvertently turned it right down as now the heating is not on at all and all the radiators are stone cold.

Now the problem is that we cant turn this thermostat on the boiler up and i didnt know if there was a way to turn it up any other way. Where the turny knob is supposed to be there is a small hole but i dont really know the inner workings of said boiler so dont know how to turn it up by sticking something in there.

So basically, i will give my left arm to anyone with any ideas.

By the way, i'm in a student house so dont own it. Have rung the landlord who is attempting to avoid any cost and is telling us to check the thermostats around the house, which are DEFINATELY on.

the liability rests with your landlord, i would get him to look at the problem asap as if you cause any damage he could charge you......it should be in your tenancy agreement

the liability rests with your landlord, i would get him to look at the problem asap as if you cause any damage he could charge you......it should be in your tenancy agreement

i'm in bath, he's in london, so i'm guessing he'd have to send a handyman round straight away.

agree with Flinty, tell him this is an urgent matter, you have done as he has asked and that with the current weather you will be seeking legal advice and witholding rent until it is sorted out. student landlords can be an arse, so best to play hardball but not make rash threats. your student union welfare office may be able to advise too

All landlords are required by law to have a property covered under a central heating breakdown plan, like those offered by British Gas and e.on.

It should be just a case of the landlord contacting them, or giving you the number for them. These student house landlords will try whatever they can to take you for a mug. Be firm with them.

Hope you get it sorted.

My house is cold.
Electrician/Plumber/Corgi people are expensive.

All thermostat's are pointing to 22 degrees.
Yet house temperature was 16 degrees, so we look at the boiler and come to the conclusion that the radiator thermostat is too low to be able to heat the house. However, this knob has broken (it's a plastic one...dont really no how else to describe it). Well anyway, it's not even attached to the boiler, it seems to have maybe snapped off, and while we were trying to turn it up (even though its broken) we may have inadvertently turned it right down as now the heating is not on at all and all the radiators are stone cold.

Now the problem is that we cant turn this thermostat on the boiler up and i didnt know if there was a way to turn it up any other way. Where the turny knob is supposed to be there is a small hole but i dont really know the inner workings of said boiler so dont know how to turn it up by sticking something in there.

So basically, i will give my left arm to anyone with any ideas.

By the way, i'm in a student house so dont own it. Have rung the landlord who is attempting to avoid any cost and is telling us to check the thermostats around the house, which are DEFINATELY on.

Man up and change the thermostat

and while we were trying to turn it up (even though its broken) we may have inadvertently turned it right down as now the heating is not on at all and all the radiators are stone cold.

Which way did you turn it? Can you remember?

If water is hot but nothing going to the rads it may the boiler is fine but the pump isn't working. Can you locate the pump? If so. you can put your hand on it and you should feel it working

if its the pump you;d prob have heard the problem beforehand, wickes sell them for about £40, but you need to drain the system before changing.

it should look something like this:

http://www.plumbsense.co.uk/Pump.jpg

can't see anything like that.

spoken to the landlord a fair bit, we had low pressure, have increased it but still not the issue. the water is working, but the radiators aren't.

we have an error code, s.31, which states something about no demand from eBus or no demand from the radiator thermostat.

we have a guy coming tomorrow (hopefully but u never no).
temp is slowly dropping but i've got plenty of duvet and jumpers...great time to not have to share a duvet with anyone else.

thanks for your help everyone, i've even manned up and put a jumper on for u carl.

If you've got a hot housemate then ask her if she wants to snuggle under your duvet. If you get lucky then the cold house will be the last thing on your mind. Happy times.

If you've got a hot housemate then ask her if she wants to snuggle under your duvet. If you get lucky then the cold house will be the last thing on your mind. Happy times.

like the thinking, but i live with 3 other guys. bad times.

Get a sex change and your be sweet as a nut.

prob be easier to get a plumber out.

what boiler do you have? is it a combi?

yea, it is. guy came round earlier, it was the thermo knob that was the issue, he turned it up with some special tool and heating is on again, he's coming with replacement knob sometime this week.
anyone know what pressure it should be at while it's on. ours is at 2.6 bar...too high?

prob be easier to get a plumber out.

yea, it is. guy came round earlier, it was the thermo knob that was the issue, he turned it up with some special tool and heating is on again, he's coming with replacement knob sometime this week.
anyone know what pressure it should be at while it's on. ours is at 2.6 bar...too high?
Should be between 1 and 2 bar

Back