• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Any civil engineers/surveyors here?

Mad Cyril

The Fresh Prince of Belfairs⭐⭐
Ahoy.

A plot of land near my office is being surveyed in advance of work commencing on a new building.

Part of the survey involve large triangular grids covered in many small propellers/turbines which have been mounted on rafts and are currently floating in the dock.

Does anyone know what these are for? It is driving my colleagues and I mad trying to work out their purpose.

Easy. It's the sail for an underwater yacht.

Either that, or it's a device for determining the slope of the water for when they build on it.

Perhaps it's something to do with calculating what stresses the wind will place upon the new building and the spaces around it, getting wind speed/direction measurements over a period of time for wind tunnels/computer modelling etc. A structural engineer might be able to fill you in if we have any on the zone. You could always ask one of the surveyors I guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_engineering

Out educated guess in an office full of geeks is that it is some kind of wind survey.

I may buy a hard hat and hi vis jacket with egg yolk stains on the front and go undercover....

Back