• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Any Exiles alternative live football fixes

Ron Manager

formerly Libertine
Of course we are all Southend first and last, but depending on how far away you are from Roots Hall as an exiled Shrimper you may need to go to a local ground to get your live football fix.

Not helped by COVID I’ll be approaching four years between Southend games when I finally get back at the end of the year, so I pop along with mates to Brisbane City in effectively the second tier of Australian football. By UK standards it’s like going to a small non-league club, but that’s what I like. $5 AUD to get in, a raised verandah behind one goal next to the club house with cheap beer and pizzas (historically it was the club of Italian immigrants, so they make legendary pizzas for next to nothing).

Run by volunteers, all the money goes towards a community club with loads of junior teams and a warm welcome. If I can’t be at Roots Hall then next best thing is a warm but pleasant Queensland winters afternoon drinking a beer, eating pizza and watching football with mates.

Anyone else have a local club elsewhere in the world where they watch football?19313C6F-A34E-4919-8463-B46030E2765D.jpeg

From 19th May we are getting more restrictions lifted (finally) so bars can reopen and stay open until 2am. In British Summer Time the 3pm ko is 10pm here. Every Premier game is covered live so if the bar you go to is not showing the game you want you go to another one. Most bars will have 2-3 matches on. I’ve rarely had the stamina for early 3pm and the late game in one shift!

The standard of professional football is not good here. I did watch Spurs play a match a few years back against the league champions. They brought a full squad and everyone, Kane included, had decent pitch time.

It was at the venue of the HK rugby sevens so plenty of beers in seats. I’m going to post something about that in the beer thread.

Oh and for live football. I play a friendly next Monday and the league resumes soon. I’m in pretty decent shape because I’m 19 days into a 22 day works steps challenge. Playing football is an altogether different prospect than 30,000 steps which is the current challenge. I’m one of fifteen out of two thousand still on for the maximum. Public holiday today and just completed todays steps

From 19th May we are getting more restrictions lifted (finally) so bars can reopen and stay open until 2am. In British Summer Time the 3pm ko is 10pm here. Every Premier game is covered live so if the bar you go to is not showing the game you want you go to another one. Most bars will have 2-3 matches on. I’ve rarely had the stamina for early 3pm and the late game in one shift!

The standard of professional football is not good here. I did watch Spurs play a match a few years back against the league champions. They brought a full squad and everyone, Kane included, had decent pitch time.

It was at the venue of the HK rugby sevens so plenty of beers in seats. I’m going to post something about that in the beer thread.
Yeah, every Premier League game is on TV here and options for pubs to watch it in. Which is fine but give me local league football in the afternoon/evening them home to listen to Blues World radio commentary from the National League ?

Got my fix of live football yesterday watching Espanyol (where I'm a season card holder) draw 1-1 with Osasuna.Good game.It will also be my last live game of the season here (think I've only missed one at home all season).Won't be around for Sunday's against Valencia because I'll be at Roots Hall to see us play Torquay.

Oh and for live football. I play a friendly next Monday and the league resumes soon. I’m in pretty decent shape because I’m 19 days into a 22 day works steps challenge. Playing football is an altogether different prospect than 30,000 steps which is the current challenge. I’m one of fifteen out of two thousand still on for the maximum. Public holiday today and just completed todays steps
30,000 a day?

Have work got you sitting on a hamster wheel to power the electricity?

So i tend to get to as many away games as possible 2 hours from.leicester plus selected home games

But if not.and i need a localish football fix then its rushden and diamonds for me 2 leauges below the mighty shrimpers not the worst standard of football

30,000 a day?

Have work got you sitting on a hamster wheel to power the electricity?
No but it does mean hitting the road anywhere between 430 and 515am. Luckily I’m an early bird, even on a Sunday I’m usually up and active by 6. Earlier nights in the week to compensate.

I average 22-23K steps anyway

Went to a qualifying round of the Australian Cup last night. My local team Brisbane City) had lost to Queensland Lions 7-0 away at the weekend and were underdogs playing them again at home in the cup.

But in fact they won 4-2 in a really good game and their 4th goal was worth the 5 dollars entry fee alone. I’m behind the goal in this clip wearing my SUFC beanie not that you’ll be able to see me.

Reactions: GNH
When working on a project in Germany I was taken to a Borrussia Monchengladbach match for €14, a cracking atmosphere and such good value!

Rugby is king in nz so it's all everyone talks about, you get slagged off about diving pansies if you dare bring up you like football. I dont hate rugby but I hate how much everyone loves it and talks about nothing other than it!
I wouldn't travel too far into napier to get my local footy fix however I have recently learnt that THE Brett Angell is quite high up in the local scene here and hes a real estate agent by day!! Not caught up with him yet but I definitely will as i see his car around town a fair bit

Rugby is king in nz so it's all everyone talks about, you get slagged off about diving pansies if you dare bring up you like football. I dont hate rugby but I hate how much everyone loves it and talks about nothing other than it!
I wouldn't travel too far into napier to get my local footy fix however I have recently learnt that THE Brett Angell is quite high up in the local scene here and hes a real estate agent by day!! Not caught up with him yet but I definitely will as i see his car around town a fair bit
There’s a bit of that here in Australia too. It’s Rugby League in this corner of the country that’s the dominant sport. My advice is to get down to a local community club. It’s not mainstream in NZ or Oz but still a thriving scene of really passionate football fans watching games in a non-league type setting with a bar and nice food.

Here in Western Australia, AFL is the dominant sport.

I usually go and watch a few Perth Glory games every season, which has been hard over the past few seasons. They're a difficult team to watch, especially when they were managed by an ex-Colchester player.

I do like my AFL and my team the Fremantle Dockers in some way mirror the fortunes of SUFC. We've been crap most of our existence but are now on the up. I'm a member with them and go to every home game. I also do an away game every season with some friends.

We do have two very good stadiums here in Perth, Optus Oval (60,000 seats) which is used primarily for AFL and cricket, though they do have the occasional rugby and football game there. Next weekend Man U are playing Crystal Paralysis, which has sold out. For Football and rugby we have a dedicated rectangular stadium which holds 20,000 which is ample.

Back