• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Any questions!

Persuasive people with a lot of great contacts who are wilk

Ray was a product of his time. A coach that "broke you to make you" and in me he saw a talent that needed breaking.

I was only an apprentice at Walsall ( with Dean Smith) so the club don't hold any affections for me to be honest.

Thank you breath of fresh air hope Ron gives you chance to help .

@stan collymore - besides the off the field stuff you are keen to crack on with, would you look to do anything coaching wise (with all that time you have!!) - just thinking of what someone like Matt Rush could learn from you?

Of you're a natural striker, and Rushy looks as though he is, the best advice is to learn how, where and when to attack the ball in and around the box, when to stand still, how to use a little ****housery to move off his defender and some basics that are passed down through the generations.

The biggest things you can teach though. Ultra belief and intuition.

I signed him up for SUEPA - I like the guy now!

Ha! Yea like I say, its hard to hate him. He's just a maverick that loves the game. Yea he did the dirty on us (and I'm sure he said he massively regrets it) but I dont think there are many that wouldnt have done the same.

He was right saying Birmingham were a sleeping giant even more so back then and if he'd turned them round, would have got them buzzing in the Prem. Cant blame him, though happy it all basically fell on its arse at the time :)

What’s he doing these days?
If he’d stayed we would have ended up in the Prem or bankrupt, he just used to love signing players- mind you he’d sell them at inflated prices mere month later?

He's Director of Football at newly promoted Peterborough!

I always thought Keith Jones was underrated as was John Cornwell who both were great to me on and off the pitch. Brett was everything you want in a strike partner, held it up superbly, easy to play off but I think Powelly was the best. Clever footballer, always looked to link up, calm and assured. Delighted he's doing well at Spurs.
Not underrated by everyone, I remember having my Match magazine poster of Keith Jones on my bedroom wall! Ahem, each to their own I guess!

For a club that is not at maximum capacity what do you think is the most effective way to turn this around

Think the best game I ever saw Keith Jones play was away to Everton in the FA Cup. We played them off the park in 2nd half and only a world class save by Neville Southall from Ian Benjamin stopped us bringing them back to Roots Hall.

That was an amazing day. Think it was the first 'big' top flight ground i'd ever been too and the excitement that it was little Southend that were there was one of the best feelings ever.

Back