• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Any questions!

Stan, had the pleasure of meeting you out in Lisbon for the 2004 Euro’s, I mentioned I was a Shrimper so you stopped and had a brief chat with me prior to the England v France game :Clap:

So on the subject of England, what do you realistically expect this current exciting crop to produce this summer and maybe further ahead next winter for the Qatar WC?

Stan, bit of a strange one. Before you signed for Southend I saw you play for Palace against Arsenal at Highbury, maybe 1991? The captain of Palace, Geoff Thomas, was giving you grief from the first minute. Even signaling to the manager to pull you off (oo er) . Me and my dad thought this was weird and out of order because you were a kid up front for Palace at Highbury and you were doing pretty well. We never forgot it and talked about it often because it was so out of order. (Always thought Thomas was a wrong un after that). What went on? Anyway I was one Shrimper who did know of you when you signed for Southend.

Stan, bit of a strange one. Before you signed for Southend I saw you play for Palace against Arsenal at Highbury, maybe 1991? The captain of Palace, Geoff Thomas, was giving you grief from the first minute. Even signaling to the manager to pull you off (oo er) . Me and my dad thought this was weird and out of order because you were a kid up front for Palace at Highbury and you were doing pretty well. We never forgot it and talked about it often because it was so out of order. (Always thought Thomas was a wrong un after that). What went on? Anyway I was one Shrimper who did know of you when you signed for Southend.

I remember the game well because it was my second senior away game(first was at Anfield). Palace's Brazil kit and I was really nervous because I was starting too whereas at Anfield I was a sub ( Gareth Southgate's senior debut for Palace).

Geoff was club captain and it's fair to say he was a confident guy who had to have in a dressing room of Wright, Bright, Andy Gray, Eric Young etc, so keeping younger players in line was easier to do than seniors who'd give some back.

Had 4 training ground fights in my time ( two a penny weekly at most clubs then). Mark Bright ( still great mates), Wally Downes, Alf Inge Haaland and Geoff Thomas. Geoff because of the gradual chipping away at me over a season that blew up one day.

Since gone on to do great work for charity as he had cancer but it's incredible how you remember that game because it's still firmly in my memory. Hot day, starting at Highbury for the first time, full house, nervous and the Captain digging me out!

Not a question but just to say I remember arriving at Roots Hall for your first game, "Stanley who ?, don't suppose he will be any good" - never been so wrong - thank you for those memories and everything you are doing for us now.

Not a question but just to say I remember arriving at Roots Hall for your first game, "Stanley who ?, don't suppose he will be any good" - never been so wrong - thank you for those memories and everything you are doing for us now.

Same here, had all but given up hope, then stan ripped it up!

I remember me and my dad did the same with freddy , "Freddy Eastwood? Who the hells that" one hattrick later.....

Watch that and try not to smile...

Last edited:
You southerners wouldn't know a curry if it landed in you!

Birmingham, the home of the Balti! Everyone welcome, BYOB, naan the size of an elephants ear, best curries ( Sparkbrook) in the land! Chicken Tikka Balti, garlic naan!!
I’ve had plenty of Balti curries in Brum Stan. I used to go up to the Jewellery Quarter regularly when I was a silverware buyer. Miss that...

But, yeah we’re not in that league down in Essex.

I’m partial to a Chicken Dansak these days. Plain rice, Tandoori Roti !

Same here, had all but given up hope, then stan ripped it up!

I remember me and my dad did the same with freddy , "Freddy Eastwood? Who the hells that" one hattrick later.....

Watch that and try not to smile...

Can I just say. Stan has been sensational in his interactions with fans recently, but I’m too young to have seen him as a player.

Freddy was one of the reasons I fell in love with Southend. I moved away from the area young but supported Southend regardless. Freddy was unbelievable, exciting, unpredictable, a genius! Speaks volumes we haven’t had a player in similar mold for 14 years !

Hi Stan, how long will it take for you and Phil Brown to fall out!? ?

Phil is the manager. As I've set out a number of times, my aim is to support Phil, Craig Fagan, Ricky Duncan, the Chairman, Supporters, CEO, players and create a positive and dynamic environment to work in.

I can't fall out with someone that I'm only there to help. I don't want to be a manager, coach, chairman or any role I'm not qualified for.

But I am qualified to bring structure, strategy, goodwill, relationships to the table which every employee at Southend United can benefit from.

I'm 50, if I wanted to be a jobbing football administrator, I'd have done it way before now.

Personally I'm delighted with Phil's comments tonight because I know he's open to fresh ideas and input. Likewise Ron.

But they are both naturally concerned that maybe my candour that I show you guys would be broadcast daily from within the club should I take up a role.

That won't be happening. Supporters will get the clearest and best information from a club anywhere in English football but there won't be a daily warts and all bulletin, and that has been intimated to everyone at the club.

I have zero ego where Southend is concerned but there's zero ego to be gained from offering genuine support other than feeling good about sticking my head above the parapet at a time of need. I think that's pretty cool.

I hope you all get the buzz you deserve next week, I believe there are very exciting days ahead, hand on heart.

But the "Stan Collymore argues with Phil or the tea lady " can all be put to bed now. I'll argue a point behind closed doors in an aim to get the very best outcomes for the club and everyone in it.

Phil is the manager. As I've set out a number of times, my aim is to support Phil, Craig Fagan, Ricky Duncan, the Chairman, Supporters, CEO, players and create a positive and dynamic environment to work in.

I can't fall out with someone that I'm only there to help. I don't want to be a manager, coach, chairman or any role I'm not qualified for.

But I am qualified to bring structure, strategy, goodwill, relationships to the table which every employee at Southend United can benefit from.

I'm 50, if I wanted to be a jobbing football administrator, I'd have done it way before now.

Personally I'm delighted with Phil's comments tonight because I know he's open to fresh ideas and input. Likewise Ron.

But they are both naturally concerned that maybe my candour that I show you guys would be broadcast daily from within the club should I take up a role.

That won't be happening. Supporters will get the clearest and best information from a club anywhere in English football but there won't be a daily warts and all bulletin, and that has been intimated to everyone at the club.

I have zero ego where Southend is concerned but there's zero ego to be gained from offering genuine support other than feeling good about sticking my head above the parapet at a time of need. I think that's pretty cool.

I hope you all get the buzz you deserve next week, I believe there are very exciting days ahead, hand on heart.

But the "Stan Collymore argues with Phil or the tea lady " can all be put to bed now. I'll argue a point behind closed doors in an aim to get the very best outcomes for the club and everyone in it.
Great post.

What I find interesting in all of this is the dynamic change that has to take place if we bring in a CEO and DoF. These two roles, along with the chairman, will probably set the foundations on which the club then attaches all other elements to such as the manager, coaches and players. I think in a previous post Stan alluded to setting a structure into which you could drop managers and players without disrupting the entire club.

Phil seems to want a direct line to Ron whilst also being the sole messenger for the club externally and somehow I feel that this cannot happen should the proposed structure be put into place. Personally I worry that simply being manager might not be enough for Phil’s ego, I really hope I’m wrong though!

Last edited:

Yeah, what I said on the other thread but you worded it better!

Egos pushed aside for the betterment of the club. Nobody stealing anybody else's thunder, no confusion over who does what, nobody forming a barrier between chairman and manager. Just everybody working together, pooling contacts and skills and perspectives with a consensus-based approach.

Well you can't say fairer than that Stan. Thanks for all you have done so far and hopefully for all you will do for us in the future. Even if it all comes to nothing next week you have already achieved a lot, not least helping our fans through a difficult time following relegation and giving us all a positivity that seemed highly unlikely a fortnight ago.

Back