• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Any sympathy for ron

Ron took over in 1998 with the Sainsbury's stadium already in progress. You can look up for yourself in the evening echo in 2014, where Sainsbury's are still debating vehicle access to their RH store. They were also still stalling on land they needed. They pulled out of one deal 7 times. Did the same to Bristol R

So what would you or anyone else have done at that stage?

So a property developer took over a club 22 years ago with advanced plans in place to deliver a new stadium? So far nothing has been built and planning permission is not yet granted, the club is court for it's 17th winding up appointment for late payment of tax but let's not point the finger at Uncle Ron eh - let's deflect a question onto a poster on the club message board you know they can't accurately answer.

Yet in your mind I'm meant to be a troll?

If morally bankrupt Ron continues to shame the good name of SUFC by making the tax man wait a few weeks.....He should to sell our club to Hong Kong billionaire bookmaker.

You’re spot on here mate. You know my feelings towards Ron, and whilst I think he deserve his fair share of criticism, it absolutely could be a lot, lot worse.

That being said, and sticking with this thread title, I’m not sure he’ll get much sympathy today, if that embargo isn’t lifted ?

You’re spot on here mate. You know my feelings towards Ron, and whilst I think he deserve his fair share of criticism, it absolutely could be a lot, lot worse.

That being said, and sticking with this thread title, I’m not sure he’ll get much sympathy today, if that embargo isn’t lifted ?

It could be worse yes, but, it could also be better. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

It could be worse yes, but, it could also be better. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Define “better”.

We could (and should) have been living within our means for the last 10-years, but that would have likely meant finishing in the lower half of Lg1, or even flirting with relegation year in, year out.

How many fans would have settled for that? I’m betting the number wouldn’t have been high, especially considering most thought we should be pushing for promotion to the championship just 2-years ago.

At least we’re not Wigan.

No sympathy at all......we are now predicted to be bottom with 49 points with spread betting firm Sporting Index.......few years back we could give anyone a game. Bu ll sh it Bill has dragged us into this with his mismanagement, lies, and false promises.
How many years has he owned the club now? Must be double figures so it's amazing we're still in existence. He's not the best but he's all we've got and we will have to finish this journey up to FF. Going out of the league does not suit Ron's plans so it will not happen, neither will another buyer appear to save the day, and if anyone thinks someone else will buy the club then they are seriously deluded. It's not right but at least we are still alive and in the Football League.

How many years has he owned the club now? Must be double figures so it's amazing we're still in existence. He's not the best but he's all we've got and we will have to finish this journey up to FF. Going out of the league does not suit Ron's plans so it will not happen, neither will another buyer appear to save the day, and if anyone thinks someone else will buy the club then they are seriously deluded. It's not right but at least we are still alive and in the Football League.

It might not suit his plans, but it doesn’t mean to say it won’t happen.

If we did fall out of the league - which is a very real possibility - it won’t stop or halt the stadium plans.

He’s got a funny way of showing it then that going out of the League doesn’t suit his plans after today.
With the present players, we will be tailed off, akin to having an 18 point deduction because he doesn’t pay his bills. We are now very short odds to go down after this and that’s providing we can get anyone in by bonfire night.

We are now looking to be the new Darlington with shiny new stadium in a tin pot League......and that was run by a proper crook, safe cracker if I remember rightly. Can’t see Ron and his son with an oxy acetylene torch but he is certainly doing his best to set light to Southend Utd!

Define “better”.

We could (and should) have been living within our means for the last 10-years, but that would have likely meant finishing in the lower half of Lg1, or even flirting with relegation year in, year out.

How many fans would have settled for that? I’m betting the number wouldn’t have been high, especially considering most thought we should be pushing for promotion to the championship just 2-years ago.

At least we’re not Wigan.
When we got promoted to league 1 under Brown and started challenging for the play offs with a squad full of overpaid players, I don’t remember so much criticism or “woah let’s be careful here, we can’t really afford this” .. if we had got promoted we might’ve fallen even faster and harder.

The changes in factors beyond Ron's control have been quite extraordinary and unforseen by the vast majority of businesses and public alike.
So many false dawns have been snuffed out by interest rates, crashes, and now Covid.
If, BIG IF, the council and Ron, partners etc had broken earth, deliverd the brown envelopes 15 to 20 years ago who knows what and where we might be.
At present what are the chances that investors and similar buzzards are circling the corpse and looking to pick some juicy bits up on the cheap.
Ron hasn't helped by seeming to be a person hard to deal or invest with.

If we can stay afloat and keep the financial wolves from the door for the season, even if we finish rock bottom we have a reasonable chance of staying up purely through other clubs going out of business.

When we got promoted to league 1 under Brown and started challenging for the play offs with a squad full of overpaid players, I don’t remember so much criticism or “woah let’s be careful here, we can’t really afford this” .. if we had got promoted we might’ve fallen even faster and harder.

Precisely. Remember when the appointment of Sol was lauded by pretty much everyone on here, despite Ron saying he’d had to perform financial gymnastics??

In a sport where fans demand instant success - from chairmen, to managers, to players, it’s easy to forget that someone has to foot the bill for it all, and finally our chickens are coming home to roost.

I’m not blaming the fans though, because at the end of the day Ron Is the one who rubber stamps all the deals. I do believe he has mismanaged the club, but it’s not because he’s concocted some evil plot to destroy us.

Frankly I think he’s taken on far too much for one man to handle - on top of making some terrible mistakes along the way - but even I can see that we need him a lot more than he needs us right now.

I have worked for a few control freak managers and I am guessing that Ron would top all of them.
I imagine the football business is a hotbed of in fighting and sordid slight of hand dealings; which allow small room for trust AND that makes appointments harder for roles like CEO.
With all that has gone on Ron maybe trusts no one, and no one trusts Ron, a recipe for poor management and poor decisions.
Ron needs to find a CEO and step back.

If we can stay afloat and keep the financial wolves from the door for the season, even if we finish rock bottom we have a reasonable chance of staying up purely through other clubs going out of business.

There aren't many being run as badly as we are.

Back