• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Any sympathy for ron

It must super stress full every few months with the tax man breathing down your neck .Im never going to slag him off because hes doing hes best .But hes not got the funds and hes never had and should have got backers if he could have .I would never be a chairman way to stressful .The only thing is please just come completely clean the fans will definitely respect you more

If we were to go out of the league ( i pray to god this never happens ) im sure in my mind SUFC will rise again . It may take time but it will happen and when it does we will rise stronger for it,in a brand new stadium ,with great support from the town ,and we will become a very strong well run club .Call me an optimist but i truly believe this. People learn from their mistakes or at least should do, the council will learn ,Ron if still chairman will have learnt and the supporters will have learnt .

If we were to go out of the league ( i pray to god this never happens ) im sure in my mind SUFC will rise again . It may take time but it will happen and when it does we will rise stronger for it,in a brand new stadium ,with great support from the town ,and we will become a very strong well run club .Call me an optimist but i truly believe this. People learn from their mistakes or at least should do, the council will learn ,Ron if still chairman will have learnt and the supporters will have learnt .

Surely the Board could collectively pay off the outstanding amount in taxes? After all, the club's survival is at stake.

I'm sure we will return but probably not for a few years and whether it will be this SUFC or an "AFC Southend" type club, who knows?

But as for the bit in bold... what, as supporters, are we meant to learn? Not waste our money supporting such a poor side? Follow Liverpool and Man City instead?

Zero sympathy for a chairman, who only had one aim - the Roots Hall real estate.
When he bought in I believe that was very true but from what I know of him, and from conversation with him, he has become a fan and does want the football to succeed as much as the property estate.

When he bought in I believe that was very true but from what I know of him, and from conversation with him, he has become a fan and does want the football to succeed as much as the property estate.
He certainly wasn’t a fan when he first bought the club. Faced with a £4 million overdraft rather than just paying off the overdraft (or just leaving it as an overdraft secured on RH) he sold RH to an associated company to pay off that debt. IMHO pure asset stripping. Within 18 months the club had no assets and owed 1.5 million. There was no need to take ownership of RH away from the football club. This one act tied the club’s future to Ron’s personal finances. For the last 20 years the club has been held hostage to Ron’s fortunes.
Absolute shambles - we fans deserve better.

Maybe I'm crazy, I just think/hope he will come good with his word eventually and better days will return..or even, our best days are yet to come. I want to believe that, because the opposite is too painful to consider tbh. UTB

Found this article from 2000.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...nd-soap-opera-may-have-sad-ending-637463.html

Says we were 2 days from being wound up when he bought in and I can‘t remember others queuing up. Says Delancey and Ron had no intention in staying in football long term.

Certainly he has become a fan but run out of cash and funding sources again.

He is 67 this year so like a lot of us not getting any younger.
If SUFC Ltd gets wound up his other companies I guess will still own Roots Hall and Boots and Laces.

His business model would have SUFC still paying rent at Fossets - bit like Coventry at the Ricoh.

Sympathy would be the wrong word. But complete realisation that we’re better off with with him than without him - unless there’s someone out there that genuinely has tens of millions to burn on SUFC.

10 years ago when we were getting relegated and the players had not been paid I was a steward at SUFC. During a fan protest we were ordered to stand by the main door and stop any protesters getting in. Ron walks past laughing at the protesters and their lack of protesting skills. At that moment I realised he doesn’t give a toss about anybody but himself.

Back