• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anybody Want To Learn An Obscure Language?

Dave Towers Was Here

As my dear old mother hails from Northern Scotland and Scots Gaelic is actually her first language I took up the offer to learn the lingo myself. Primarily, it must be said, to have a pop at people in remote Ross & Cromarty pubs when they were talking about an Englishman walking into their place (and they do)!

Anyway, the people I learnt the language off has sent me 10 cd-rooms to distribute free just to get a bit of public awareness for their language, of which around 80,000 currently speak as their mother tongue.

Anybody want a copy? It's a bit easier to learn that most languages as it only has 18 letters for a start. And, of course, you can abuse people without them having a clue what you're on about.
wink.gif

Ciamar a tha thu?

Actually, I learnt Scottish Gaelic at Uni and spent time in Skye and Lochailort. If you have a spare copy I would be happy to take one off your hands.

ps I love ordering a beer in the Highlands in my broadest Estuary accent but in the Gaelic vocabulary!

"Tha mi ag iarradh puinnt lionn!"

ps if you can't differentiate between the "ch" in the German "ich" e.g. "ich bin Berliner" and the "ch" in "loch" then you'll have no chance.

biggrin.gif

Sure, Naps, no problem.  I'll probably leave with with a committee memeber to pass onto you at your next meeting as we generally have differing pre-match watering holes.

I'll mostlikely pass them onto libraries and schools but people I know (either in person or online) may as well have first dabs on them.

And to my Mum's eternal chagrin, I always insist on speaking English even when she converses in Gaelic      
wink.gif

Happy learning everyone.

Not me though! Being the "real fan" that I am, I'm not going tomorrow. Or, rather, can't.
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave Towers Was Here @ Mar. 12 2004,12:13)]Anybody want a copy?  It's a bit easier to learn that most languages as it only has 18 letters for a start.  And, of course, you can abuse people without them having a clue what you're on about.  
wink.gif
Mr. Towers... I'd be happy to take a copy off your hands.  Whilst never having learnt Scots Gaelic myself, given that I am now living with a Scottish lassie, I see no harm in learning a spot of Gaelic.  Particularly with her being such a passionate Scot herself (former SNP delegate at Uni etc etc).

She's even mentioned watching "Ploddar Pat" (sp?) - Postman Pat in Gaelic, which used to be on telly when her younger sister was growing up.

What's the best way to get a copy off you?  At Roots Hall (albeit not this weekend, since you won't be there), in Cardiff, or via the Royal Mail?

If the latter is easiest, let me know and I'll send you a PM with my address.

Many thanks,

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave Towers Was Here @ Mar. 12 2004,12:48)]Not me though!  Being the "real fan" that I am, I'm not going tomorrow.  Or, rather, can't.    
rock.gif
Oh. Shame. Well, yes, please just pass it to a committee member or something..

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Mar. 12 2004,13:29)] Particularly with her being such a passionate Scot herself (former SNP delegate at Uni etc etc).

She's even mentioned watching "Ploddar Pat" (sp?) - Postman Pat in Gaelic, which used to be on telly when her younger sister was growing up.
The real hardcore party is Siol na Gaidhlig, although they've calmed down a bit down now.

Postman Pat is Posta Pat IIRC, as "posta" is postman. The real cult programme is Dotaman, which used to be on (well it was a few years ago) just after Quincy.

Dotaman

Ah, I think Dotaman was the show!

As for the politics thang, I'm sure Lesley would admit that being an English-speaking Glaswegian, it would have been a bit odd for her to be involved with a party whose title is in Gaelic!

biggrin.gif

Matt

If you have Sky Digital, BBC2 Scotland (channel 960) and the Scottish ITV channels you can tune your areial to often have Gaelic programming.  The Gaelic newsreader on Grampian is a bit of a sort  
wink.gif

Also, on Sky Channel 905, is the radio station "n Gael".  It's wonderful to hear them chattering away then every few minutes hear something like "Galaxy Easter Egg" or other such English phrase thrown in.  Just now they've had a chat about upcoming farming crops and suddenly said "Rock & Roll, AC/DC".  It's like a cross between Rowley Birkin QC and Channel 9 on The Fast Show.    
biggrin.gif

Back