• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

steveo

mine to stay the same please
So Muslims throughout the world are campaigning against Danish embassies and the west over some cartons.
If they dont like them they can always chose to not look at them.
Instead they get all shirty about it and are even demonstrating in London. Well guys this is the west that you supposedly hate, so why bother to live here? If you dont like our culture why not clear off to somewhere you like better?
Probably cos you wont get the state handouts so easily which will also be somewhere where you wont be able to voice your own opinion.

Some interesting comments supporting the images:

"I find it interesting that the Muslim community is up in arms about this, while at the same time they burn Western flags and burn Western leaders in effigy."

"It wasn't the most tactful thing to publish these cartoons. But, did the same protesters protest similarly when Muslim extremists executed hostages? Maybe if the average Muslim protested more about their extremist element, the west would have more sympathy with them."

"To you in favor of banning the drawings: The "Have your say" page is based on freedom of expression. If you are against this right, why do you use it here? Is freedom of expression only OK only if you agree with the expressions, and should those in conflict with your views be banned. No person has the right to impose their religious belief and rules to people not following the latter religion. It you are in favour of censoring views other than your own, is it OK if your opinions are censored?"

And some supporting the Muslim community:

"I didn't see the cartoons, but from the description of them, I can see the ignorance and arrogance of some people in Denmark to Islam and/or Middle East. It's about respecting others' religions and cultures, not a freedom-of-speech issue. We have shed enough blood already, too much indeed. What we can do is to educate ourselves and our next generation."

"I am in no way in favour of censorship. However, just because we have freedom of speech, it does not give us the freedom to provoke and insult. I believe that every freedom we are given in the west comes with a responsibility. With a lack of respect and understanding to other cultures, of course people will protest. I find it shocking and indeed saddening that the cartoons depicted the prophet as a terrorist. There is already enough controversy surrounding Islam without provocations like these. It is uncalled for, and disrespectful."

"If people insist in the right to free speech as they call it, then they shouldn't be surprised when they get hit when they offend someone. Personally I have nothing but admiration for the Muslims in the way they support their religion. Its a shame the west doesn't support its religions to the same degree."

I'm somewhere in the middle ...

WS
Jávea

The thing that really got to me was, England and the BBC were not even involved in the artoon at all, and it still has not been released by a British media outlet. Yet fanatical muslims marched upon London with banners such as "Death to Europe" "Europe, your 9/11 will come" and "9/11: Fantastic 4 are on their way Europe"... And nothing will be done at all...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And nothing will be done at all...
Dead right, the good old English people will just sit back while our country is taken over by foreigners

FRANCE

"It is not religion that is being called into question, but rather intolerance. Faiths are not being targeted, but the outrageous intentions of some people who want to impose their commandments on those who do not share their beliefs."

DENMARK

"If, God forbid, the case should end in violence, as threatened by Islamists, the drawing of the Prophet with a bomb in his turban will in all likelihood be found on the front page of Politiken. Not because the Prophet of Islam is a symbol of terror, but because the religion he started will have been abused."

UNITED KINGDOM

"The right to offend within the law remains crucial to our free speech. Muslims who choose to live in the West must accept that we too have a right to our values, and to live according to them... Those Muslims who cannot tolerate the openness and robustness of intellectual debate in the West have perhaps chosen to live in the wrong culture."

SINGAPORE

"All of these religiously offensive actions have been carried out in the name of freedom of speech. Has the West lost its sensitivity to respect for religious rights? ... It is right for Muslims to protest, but it needs to be done wisely and proportionally for the sake of maintaining the image of Islam."

PALESTINE (or Palestinian representation)

"Despite the great insult, uncalculated responses - especially attacks on European nationals in the Muslim world - do not go hand in hand with the morals of Islam and its Prophet because they are the Muslims' guests, and protecting them is a sacred obligation."

TURKEY

"In today's atmosphere, when minds are clouded by the 'clash of civilizations' thesis, the real danger that will spark a clash could be the perception that the West is attempting to attack the divine entities of Islam. The situation is rapidly being escalated to this level of tension."

WS
Jávea

U ARE ALL RACIST BIGOTS,ONLY MYSELF AND MTS ARE PURE OF THOUGHT.

F*cking rubbish.

This has nothing to do with religion!

This is to do with culture!

my.php

mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Personally I have nothing but admiration for the Muslims in the way they support their religion.

That may have been true once but these days these do what they want and then hide behind their religeon when they are caught.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Feb. 04 2006,09:04)]"It wasn't the most tactful thing to publish these cartoons. But, did the same protesters protest similarly when Muslim extremists executed hostages? Maybe if the average Muslim protested more about their extremist element, the west would have more sympathy with them."
That's spot on IMO. They're never going to get our sympathy while their extremists behave in such a deplorable way. They bang on about respect, well perhaps they should look at themselves once in while and take action against those in their community (like Hamza) who can only preach hatred towards the society he lives in.

I've been watching this closely from here and it seems to be that the UK government is guilty of double-standards. The CPS hauls the BNP through the courts on the "hate crime" issue which, I understand, went as far as suggesting immigrants should be sent back. But it seems perfectly acceptable to the authorities for these extremist Muslims to march through our capital city glorifying the July 7th bombings and warning the British people that more massacres are coming their way. What the f%&k?! I'm sorry but these antics are far worse than anything the BNP has suggested and yet these extremists appear to have got away with it and will continue to do so whilst the UK government sits back, far too scared to upset the Islamic faith! What a f%&king mess this world is in at the moment! Remember Blair's excuse for attacking Iraq: "this world will become a safer place"? Oops, no it f%&king hasn't. Cheers, Tone ...

mad.gif

WS
Jávea

...we in the west acknowledge this as when the Tsunami happened we delved deep to help, when the earthquake in pakistan happened...we didn't bother.
...... and like President Bush answered with regards to why there are no muslims in Star trek he said, "because its set in the future."

IMO i think that all this rubbish gets spouted about English people being push-overs etc...and allowing these ethnic majorities (as thats what they are in soome parts of our country) to carry out their "race hate" against us is just totally outof order. They say it is peaceful protest, but it's not. They incite most of what they get and should be locked up or even better deported. If we went over there and did it we'd probably get stoned!!!

"As a Muslim (and not having seen said cartoons) I do find it in poor taste to mock a religion but then I am against this whatever religion might be affected. However I do agree that those so called muslims who protest and rasie banners to insight violence should have been arrested by the police. I also do find it a little hypocritcal. When the 9/11 and 7/7 attacks occurred the whole muslim worls stood up and said not to judge the whole religion based on a few terrorists. Now we have one newspaper who printed cartoons and the muslim world is making all Danish people responsible. The Muslim world deplores violence and teaches Islam is a peaceful religion but here we are watching a Danish Embassy burn and images of people asking for the people behind the cartoon to be beheaded. I say "Wake up" and think before acting."

Well said, that man ...

WS
Jávea

"Of course they should be published. This is the West, not an Islamic State. These are the values that make Britain GREAT. I think immigrants (illegal or not) should assimilate our core values, not the other way round. My ancestors who fought for a "Free" country must be turning in their graves."

WS
Jávea

I have seen all of the cartoons, none of them are funny and one in particular depicting mohammed as a pig (not the muslims favourite animal) is very offensive.

However it is not just the caricaturing which has offended muslims, any form of depiction of mohammed and the prophets is considered blasphemy, thats why there are no pictures in mosques etc.
So when that French rag printed a cartoon of Jesus and Mohammed that was a double insult (as Jesus is one of their prophets !)

That said , there is no excuse for violence being encouraged in the protests. The majority of muslims are against the violence being touted by the protesters and we should not be tarring them all with the same brush.
We should not, however, be positively discriminating by not applying the law either.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveo @ Feb. 04 2006,01:02)]So Muslims throughout the world are campaigning against Danish embassies and the west over some cartons.
If they dont like them they can always chose to not look at them.
Instead they get all shirty about it and are even demonstrating in London. Well guys this is the west that you supposedly hate, so why bother to live here? If you dont like our culture why not clear off to somewhere you like better?
Probably cos you wont get the state handouts so easily which will also be somewhere where you wont be able to voice your own opinion.
top lad.. great post!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveo @ Feb. 05 2006,01:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Personally I have nothing but admiration for the Muslims in the way they support their religion.
by blowing us and each other up?

Back