• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

pickledseal

cowboy
I'll prob join the rally in Southend High Street at 12.30pm:

------------
Defending our pensions to protect education

For every teacher, lecturer and leader, educating our students is the most important aspect of our working life.

And it’s for this reason that the unions representing teachers, lecturers and leaders are united in protesting against the government’s pension proposals to make us pay more, work longer and get less in retirement.

We know that these proposals will mean we will no longer get the brightest and best graduates to come to work in our schools, colleges and universities as they will find better rewarded jobs elsewhere. Graduates already face huge student debts, so won’t be able to afford nearly 10% pension contributions.

It will be students who suffer from a lack of new talent.

We know also that these proposals will mean teachers, lecturers, heads and managers will consider leaving their jobs as they’ve already had their pensions’ value cut due to a change in the pensions indexation, and there are further proposals to change the way that pensions are calculated, reducing pensions even more.

It will be the students who suffer from the loss of experienced staff.

We also know that increasing retirement age to 68 and even later means those who stay in the profession will be too physically and mentally exhausted to keep up with pupils young enough to be their grandchildren.

It will be the students who suffer.

We understand our campaign comes when everyone is taking a hit to their pockets. But school, college and university staff have already taken a share of cuts with a two-year pay freeze, redundancies and the same VAT and fuel increases as the rest of the population.

Our pensions are not gold-plated – the average is £10,000 – and the government's proposals could amount to a 30% cut over the course of retirement. It’s a short-sighted plan as it will lead to the government having to pay out more in benefits to pensioners. It’s a short-term plan to raise money to plug the gap left by the budget deficit as the pension scheme has been shown to be healthy.

School, college and university staff are increasingly frustrated that after months of talks with government ministers, a petition to Downing Street and sending thousands of letters and emails to MPs, the government is refusing to budge on its proposals to make us pay more, work longer and get less in retirement. We believe stronger protests are necessary.

The education of our students in the long-term is paramount. We ask for your support for our campaign over the coming months.

Brian Lightman, ASCL
Mary Bousted, ATL
Russell Hobby, NAHT
Christine Blower, NUT
Sally Hunt, UCU

Luck in what? Not falling over? I will be doing what I am paid to do, and that is working.

MK Shrimper is still on strike, after he was accused of putting paperclips in the honesty box for milk.

MK Shrimper is still on strike, after he was accused of putting paperclips in the honesty box for milk.

I heard he is on gardening leave whilst his employers check into the sites he looks at whilst at work.:whistling:

I'll prob join the rally in Southend High Street at 12.30pm:

------------

For every teacher, lecturer and leader, educating our students is the most important aspect of our working life.

And it’s for this reason that the unions representing teachers, lecturers and leaders are united in protesting against the government’s pension proposals to make us pay more, work longer and get less in retirement.

We know that these proposals will mean we will no longer get the brightest and best graduates to come to work in our schools, colleges and universities as they will find better rewarded jobs elsewhere. Graduates already face huge student debts, so won’t be able to afford nearly 10% pension contributions.

It will be students who suffer from a lack of new talent.

We know also that these proposals will mean teachers, lecturers, heads and managers will consider leaving their jobs as they’ve already had their pensions’ value cut due to a change in the pensions indexation, and there are further proposals to change the way that pensions are calculated, reducing pensions even more.

It will be the students who suffer from the loss of experienced staff.

We also know that increasing retirement age to 68 and even later means those who stay in the profession will be too physically and mentally exhausted to keep up with pupils young enough to be their grandchildren.

It will be the students who suffer.

We understand our campaign comes when everyone is taking a hit to their pockets. But school, college and university staff have already taken a share of cuts with a two-year pay freeze, redundancies and the same VAT and fuel increases as the rest of the population.

Our pensions are not gold-plated – the average is £10,000 – and the government's proposals could amount to a 30% cut over the course of retirement. It’s a short-sighted plan as it will lead to the government having to pay out more in benefits to pensioners. It’s a short-term plan to raise money to plug the gap left by the budget deficit as the pension scheme has been shown to be healthy.

School, college and university staff are increasingly frustrated that after months of talks with government ministers, a petition to Downing Street and sending thousands of letters and emails to MPs, the government is refusing to budge on its proposals to make us pay more, work longer and get less in retirement. We believe stronger protests are necessary.

The education of our students in the long-term is paramount. We ask for your support for our campaign over the coming months.

Brian Lightman, ASCL
Mary Bousted, ATL
Russell Hobby, NAHT
Christine Blower, NUT
Sally Hunt, UCU

Get back to ****ing work

Some things on here are wonderfully predictable. :tease:

I'll be out on June 30th in solidarity with civil servants, local government workers, NHS staff, soldiers, police, teachers, firefighters, nuclear industry workers and the judiciary who have all had their pensions downgraded.

I personally think the great injustice could be that private sector employers do not provide good enough pensions for their staff... yet interestingly, the teacher's pension is actually ‘modest by any measure’ (Lord Hutton's words, not mine) at an average of £10,000/year. It's also sustainable - the the government are quite happy to break the law and not test it, because that would make them look silly.

There is at least one group of public sector workers exempt from this proposal, thank goodness (!?): Members of Parliament.

Some things on here are wonderfully predictable. :tease:

I'll be out on June 30th in solidarity with civil servants, local government workers, NHS staff, soldiers, police, teachers, firefighters, nuclear industry workers and the judiciary who have all had their pensions downgraded.

I personally think the great injustice could be that private sector employers do not provide good enough pensions for their staff... yet interestingly, the teacher's pension is actually ‘modest by any measure’ (Lord Hutton's words, not mine) at an average of £10,000/year. It's also sustainable - the the government are quite happy to break the law and not test it, because that would make them look silly.

There is at least one group of public sector workers exempt from this proposal, thank goodness (!?): Members of Parliament.
I'd bunk off as well, your six week holidays are a long long way away. And it'd make a nice change from finishing at 3pm.

I will be at work with the rest of the NHS staff doing what we are meant to do and saving lives.

I will be at work with the rest of the NHS staff doing what we are meant to do and saving lives.

If all you do is save lives 100% a day then you are the model professional we need in the NHC.

I'd bunk off as well, your six week holidays are a long long way away. And it'd make a nice change from finishing at 3pm.

I think teachers have to work during that time off creating new plans and marking as well as going over the new curriculum forced upon them from some government outside quango.

I think teachers have to work during that time off creating new plans and marking as well as going over the new curriculum forced upon them from some government outside quango.
Going over a curriculum?? If they don't know what they should be teaching (as evidenced by Vag Shrimpers questions on here) then they shouldn't be teaching.

Going over a curriculum?? If they don't know what they should be teaching (as evidenced by Vag Shrimpers questions on here) then they shouldn't be teaching.

"The big society" will of course give control to schools to make their own agendas...and make do with the budget they are given to create the new work force...god help the next generation.

Yup its amazing how they haven't changed them since 1942.

"The big society" will of course give control to schools to make their own agendas...and make do with the budget they are given to create the new work force...god help the next generation.

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING is solved by calling a school an academy, just ask my mate Gove.

Back