• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING is solved by calling a school an academy, just ask my mate Gove.

Isn't one of the reasons you're rioting because the government is trying to change the contracts of people who they'd already signed - going back on their word? Or am I thinking of a different strike?

Walking down a high street chanting blah blah blah we are sooo angry does nothing,you need to distrupt and cause chaos like the french do.
They were closing a class at my kids school and the action commitee decide that they will blockage 3 main roads in the area from 7 til 9 so i fancy a bit of that and put my name down for the ruck to follow.Alas this is france and all they did was get the car/lorry to stop and give them a leaflet,total waste of time andthe most boring 2 hours of my life.
Stop poncing around and hit the ministers and local ela at thier homes.

I'm pleased the statement states clearly that the purpose of this is purely for the benefit of students and not personal or financial reasons. I presume the date of the proposed strike is during half term so as not to distrupt the students education and further demonstrate this is a selfless act by the teachers?

Isn't one of the reasons you're rioting because the government is trying to change the contracts of people who they'd already signed - going back on their word? Or am I thinking of a different strike?

Yup people who have paid into a scheme for 30 years are now being told it is not being honoured. Many contracts also state a retirement age of 60... which the government are now throwing out the window.

Walking down a high street chanting blah blah blah we are sooo angry does nothing,you need to distrupt and cause chaos like the french do.
They were closing a class at my kids school and the action commitee decide that they will blockage 3 main roads in the area from 7 til 9 so i fancy a bit of that and put my name down for the ruck to follow.Alas this is france and all they did was get the car/lorry to stop and give them a leaflet,total waste of time andthe most boring 2 hours of my life.
Stop poncing around and hit the ministers and local ela at thier homes.

Agreed the French are experts at striking! The rally in Southend has a number of speakers, not sure if there will be a march or what really

I'm pleased the statement states clearly that the purpose of this is purely for the benefit of students and not personal or financial reasons. I presume the date of the proposed strike is during half term so as not to distrupt the students education and further demonstrate this is a selfless act by the teachers?

How can you go on strike when you are not required to be at school nor having directed time?!? This is nonsense. After careful evaluation balancing the effect of 1 day of school during the summer term versus the long term effects of the stated losses to the education workforce, on my conscience, it is worth if for the students.

Yup people who have paid into a scheme for 30 years are now being told it is not being honoured. Many contracts also state a retirement age of 60... which the government are now throwing out the window.

Agreed the French are experts at striking! The rally in Southend has a number of speakers, not sure if there will be a march or what really

How can you go on strike when you are not required to be at school nor having directed time?!? This is nonsense. After careful evaluation balancing the effect of 1 day of school during the summer term versus the long term effects of the stated losses to the education workforce, on my conscience, it is worth if for the students.

Well it just seems to me that if the welfare of the students is the primary goal and not selfish reasons, a protest during half term avoids the disruption to the education of the students. A march / protest by teachers can be done during their half term, still shows their solidarity and will get publicity but would elimate any suggestion that it is being done for selfish reasons.

Well it just seems to me that if the welfare of the students is the primary goal and not selfish reasons, a protest during half term avoids the disruption to the education of the students. A march / protest by teachers can be done during their half term, still shows their solidarity and will get publicity but would elimate any suggestion that it is being done for selfish reasons.

A withdrawal of labour, at a personal cost (I will, quite rightly, be deducted a days pay ~£70), is far more powerful. Teachers DO NOT strike lightly.

Just so I can get your logic here , you want a protest to take place when no one will be there to see or make an impact . Also You make a judgement on a system you have little to with or the day to day running of ?

Is that like a zen protest , if there are no observers to a protest does it still happen and are the bears still pooing in the woods ?

K got ya .

Also is it not correct that all the different pension schemes .... are just that different and the teachers one had a surplus of around £2 Billion the other year , and the payments come primarily from the teachers wages not the schools ?

Tsk.....making judgements on a system you have no involvement in the day to day running of? Is that something you are against?!

Why would there have to be no one there......protests can take place anywhere and media and public can be made aware of their campaign.

Just so I can get your logic here , you want a protest to take place when no one will be there to see or make an impact . Also You make a judgement on a system you have little to with or the day to day running of ?

Is that like a zen protest , if there are no observers to a protest does it still happen and are the bears still pooing in the woods ?

K got ya .

Also is it not correct that all the different pension schemes .... are just that different and the teachers one had a surplus of around £2 Billion the other year , and the payments come primarily from the teachers wages not the schools ?

Tsk.....making judgements on a system you have no involvement in the day to day running of? Is that something you are against?!

Why would there have to be no one there......protests can take place anywhere and media and public can be made aware of their campaign.

If i rattle on about things without first looking into them... err yes (C has corrected me in the pas about Taxes for instance .) So why would it be ok to rant and rave about a system you know nothing about or the action those in it are taking about an injustice they feel against them ?

Zen ? Tree falling in the forest question ?

I think ranting and raving is rarely a good thing. Asking questions is the more sensible way about it. It aids understanding and helps keep an open mind. :winking:

PS Answered your zen question above.

If i rattle on about things without first looking into them... err yes (C has corrected me in the pas about Taxes for instance .) So why would it be ok to rant and rave about a system you know nothing about or the action those in it are taking about an injustice they feel against them ?

Zen ? Tree falling in the forest question ?

I've said this before I've every sympathy for the public sector workers who are finally having to face up to in particular the question of working longer and paying more for your pensions. It an issue that many of us in the private sector have had to face over the last 10-12 years or so due in the main to Brown's raid on pension funds and the collapse of many. You at least will still receive a guaranteed pension, albeit not quite as lucrative as when you may have first started out. Many of us outside of this are faced with the prospect of working long after our retirement date and still face financial penury.

The other thing that I am concerned about is the political aspect, don't let the unions use you as political pawns or cannon fodder against the (whether you like them or not) elected government. Ed Miliband and the opposition are fully aware that if they were in government they would have to make similar harsh decisions. However it's to their political ends that they can sit on the fence without condemning strike action.

I've just seen a quote attributed to Mark Serwotka, talking of his admiration of Arthur Scargill. :hilarious:

Oh dear, more lions led by donkeys?

Back