• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anyone got an unwanted MAC?

McScriven

The Ball Boy
Hi guys,

I'm on the look out for an unwanted MAC laptop if anyone has one.

Spec doesn't need to be amazing but if anyone has an old Powerbook or Macbook that they want to get rid of then let me know.

I have a few things I want to use it for but before I go for the plunge with a top of the range model, thought I'd see if anyone had an older one lying around that they fancied parting with for a few quid.

Let me know,

Dave

Dave - if you are looking just to use the latest MAC OS you know you can get tools to be able to run it on Intel devices now, as Apple now support the Intel chipset natively. So no need to buy a MAC machine.

Hi guys,

I'm on the look out for an unwanted MAC laptop if anyone has one.

Spec doesn't need to be amazing but if anyone has an old Powerbook or Macbook that they want to get rid of then let me know.

I have a few things I want to use it for but before I go for the plunge with a top of the range model, thought I'd see if anyone had an older one lying around that they fancied parting with for a few quid.

Let me know,

Dave

I would imagine that you can pick up a fairly decent cheap model from E-bay

Dave - if you are looking just to use the latest MAC OS you know you can get tools to be able to run it on Intel devices now, as Apple now support the Intel chipset natively. So no need to buy a MAC machine.

Yep I know this, however, the spec on MAC machines generally tend to be superior.

For instance I use to have a 256mb ram machine and it ran as quickly as my 1GB ram PC. Do you know if the OS X for Intel chipsets runs as smoothly as I see that most of the new MAC's are coming with loads of RAM and high end processors whereas their predocessors didn't but ran better than their PC rivals.

I was under the impression the club already have an unwanted Mac?

Yes, infact, heres a picture:

_41013426_charliemacdonald_emp203.jpg

Things have changed a tad since 2005 such as Apple MAC OS now supporting Intel natively. The above link was when MAC OS would only run on the PowerPC chipset. So you needed something in between to take the PowerPC calls and translate them to the intel.

Dave I will need to speak to my colleague in Chicago who has done this, I am thinking that MAC is just specing up to pull in the uneducated who just look at RAM and Processor when it comes to buying a machine rather than what the OS would be doing.

Things have changed a tad since 2005 such as Apple MAC OS now supporting Intel natively. The above link was when MAC OS would only run on the PowerPC chipset. So you needed something in between to take the PowerPC calls and translate them to the intel.

Dave I will need to speak to my colleague in Chicago who has done this, I am thinking that MAC is just specing up to pull in the uneducated who just look at RAM and Processor when it comes to buying a machine rather than what the OS would be doing.

Ow well.....sorry about that, just trying to help

If you could mate that would be good. Just wary of why they have suddenly started specing up.

I've got two old G4s sitting in my garage, unfortunately both have OS9 and are fairly old (they were machines that used to be network connected and were being chucked out by a company) but ur more than welcome to take a look at one of those if you like.

TPS,

What's the spec of the machines?

Processor Speed, Memory and Hard Drive?

Cheers,

Dave

have got an old Imac if you're interested but I suspect its prob not what you are looking for. However, if anyone else is interested then please let me know!

Back