• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anyone got the heating on yet??

I have replaced the rubber seals around the kitchen door and that has cut out a lot of draught. It was a bit fiddly as the door is upvc and the seal is a v tight fit.
Mrs MG has bought us both house coat things from Aldi as recommended by Martin Lewis with "heat the body" not the house advice.

On fixed rate till end of February but still getting the £66 each month. All on as normal (plus log burner) but upped DD and loading the account for when reality kicks in.

I'm actually loving this frugality of not using the heating (much). It's taking me right back to my childhood and student days freezing in Scotland. I had a friend who lived in a flat in Cambridge when a student. His indoor toilet actually froze one winter. I'm not talking about the pipe I'm talking about the water in the toilet bowl. Good times.

I gave in this morning and put it on for half an hour. I'm going to restrict myself to half hour in the Morning and half hour in the Evening.

It is getting a bit George and Zippy.

Winter settings now in effect on my thermostat.

06:00 - 08:00 21c
08:00 - 16:00 20c
16:00 - 19:00 21c
19:00 - 22:00 22c
22:00 - 06:00 18c

With 2 young kids I'm not having a cold house just for the sake of a couple of quid. Bedtime for them is upstairs for 7 asleep (hopefully 🙏) by 8.

Each room has thermostatic radiator contral valves and the thermostat is in the most used room of the house.

All radiators have been bled and the heating is very efficient for us.

Make sure everyone checks their radiators to see if they need bleeding otherwise the radiators aren't operating at their optimum performance. Very easy to sort yourself. Just remember to check the pressure of the boiler afterwards as the boiler may need topping up. May take 2/3 bleeds to force all are out of the system.
We have thermostatic valves too which means we can have some rooms hotter than others. We also have a nest, and I have set the daytime temp to be 18°C. At night it goes down to my eco setting which is 9°C.

Nest actually monitors movement too so if it detects that no-one is in then it also reverts to the eco setting. If I'm upstairs working the heating will turn off. I just put an extra layer on if it gets cold.

I'm actually loving this frugality of not using the heating (much). It's taking me right back to my childhood and student days freezing in Scotland. I had a friend who lived in a flat in Cambridge when a student. His indoor toilet actually froze one winter. I'm not talking about the pipe I'm talking about the water in the toilet bowl. Good times.
We had an outside loo when I was a kid ,and at the bottom of a 70 ‘ garden !🥴🥴🥴🥴

We have thermostatic valves too which means we can have some rooms hotter than others. We also have a nest, and I have set the daytime temp to be 18°C. At night it goes down to my eco setting which is 9°C.

Nest actually monitors movement too so if it detects that no-one is in then it also reverts to the eco setting. If I'm upstairs working the heating will turn off. I just put an extra layer on if it gets cold.
Sounds as if u have a super thermo ,pray tell me more

Just be careful. Being cold carries a higher risk of heart attack (although it seems you should be ok if you're in good health) and catching a virus:

BBC

Quite I was reading, I think it was on BBC website, that the body starts reacting differently with an ambient temp below 18.

Although I think the experiment was carried out on someone in shorts and t-shirt rather than someone dressed for the cold

Back