• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anyone got the heating on yet??

We've succumbed. I put the heating on when I get up at 8.00. Thermostat set at 11 now and fire it up to 17 and then it's off. Not sure how long we'll last. Daughter in law's mother and sister and baby niece are over from Vietnam and are freezing to death. I'm still loving the childhood memories.

Our heating is on and set at 18°c and I've watched the cost per day rocket as a result, augmented by the tumble drier when absolutely necessary.

Our heating is on and set at 18°c and I've watched the cost per day rocket as a result, augmented by the tumble drier when absolutely necessary.
Almost snap (17% during the day here)a bit higher at night.Off peak charges for the washing machine/dishwasher from 22.00 Or any time at weekends.Dunno about costs.... yet. :Sad:

Anyone without their heating on now is going to be doing no good to themselves or their house.

Plenty of things people can do, adjust thermostatic radiator valves reducing them to low in rooms that aren't used, and close the door on those rooms too.

Rooms that are being used should be heated and if preferable the doors kept open as this promotes air flow between the rooms and the warm air is moved between the rooms as you walk around the house into the areas that you use the most.

Have a quick nose up in your lofts. If you can see your loft joists nip down to B&Q and get some more insulation and just lay it down over any current insulation. (perpendicular to any current insulation as this helps to keep the heat in)

Out of interest, on my radiators it have a thing on the side where you choose settings from 1-5, 5 being the hottest. If i set them to say 3, will it save me money rather than having them on at 5. I'm assuming it will and it might sound like a silly question but better to ask than not.

Out of interest, on my radiators it have a thing on the side where you choose settings from 1-5, 5 being the hottest. If i set them to say 3, will it save me money rather than having them on at 5. I'm assuming it will and it might sound like a silly question but better to ask than not.
Good question, and although I don't know the answer, what I would say is this. Our central Heating thermostat is situated in our hall, and therefore the heat from the hall radiator dictates when the thermostat controls the heat. If that is correct, then the valves on my rads only control the heat in the bedrooms. When the hall reaches the defined temperature setting then surely it doesn't matter what the bedroom rads are doing heat wise?

For most thermostat valves are the below temperatures
0 = Off
* = 7°C
1 = 10°C
2 = 15°C
3 = 20°C
4 = 25°C
5 = 30°C

There will be some tolerance in these in that the radiator doesn't just turn cold te moment it reaches the desired temperature so the temperature in the room will usually increase by 1°C more than it says due to the residual heat from the radiator.

Will setting them all to 3 save you money, It all depends in truth where your main thermostat is in the house that controls the heating. If that is in a room with a thermostatic radiator valve the rule is the radiator should be set to the maximum allowable. This results in the main thermostat in the room that turns you boiler on or off being in charge rather than your thermostatic radiator valves, which may be set too low for the main thermostat and thus you would constantly be trying to heat a room to say 21°C / 22°C that the thermostatic valves would only heat to 20°C.

My inlaws have their main thermostat in the hallway, one of the coldest areas in the house. There is one small radiator, but the heat from that will normally travel upstairs and thus the areas never reaches what the main thermostat is trying to be so the heating stays on full until they turn it off, usually when they have become too hot in the rest of the house.

As the rest of the radiator valves in the house are always open to the maximum it results in the rest of the house feeling like a sauna and they then have to open some doors and windows to cool it down.

Rule of thumb is the room or area with the main thermostat should always be set to the maximum allowable and then the main thermostat will be in charge of that room. Its best to have your thermostat in the room you use the most, like the living room etc

Good question, and although I don't know the answer, what I would say is this. Our central Heating thermostat is situated in our hall, and therefore the heat from the hall radiator dictates when the thermostat controls the heat. If that is correct, then the valves on my rads only control the heat in the bedrooms. When the hall reaches the defined temperature setting then surely it doesn't matter what the bedroom rads are doing heat wise?
Spot on, The moment your hallway has reached your set temperature for the main thermostat then the heating will turn off.

I'm not too sure if it would save money as the boiler is heating the water whether you have them turned low or high, all your doing setting them to low is stopping that hot water from flowing through your radiators.

If you want to save money then its best to turn your main thermostat down by 1°C or so.

Heating now on for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. We have a couple of small electric rads (one oil filled, the other not) which throw a lot of heat around.

Tumble dryer on only if necessary. Dreading the next bill as paying on receipt of invoice since cancelling the DD

Spot on, The moment your hallway has reached your set temperature for the main thermostat then the heating will turn off.

I'm not too sure if it would save money as the boiler is heating the water whether you have them turned low or high, all your doing setting them to low is stopping that hot water from flowing through your radiators.

If you want to save money then its best to turn your main thermostat down by 1°C or so.
If you have the TRV's set to a low number in the rooms you're not using (and where the main thermostat is not located) then you should save some money as the radiators should shut off and then there is less water circulating in the heating system that the boiler needs to heat

Back