• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anyone got the heating on yet??

Blimey. What a palaver. Still took me back to my childhood. Dad starting he coal fire, either old newspaper (I could still do the folding at a pinch) or Zip? Firelighters, Anthracite and then clearing the ashes. Thank God for gas. Kids thankfully could probably not recognise coal unless a lump' been brought in for show and tell.

Price of kiln dried has shot through the roof - do you have a 'cheap' source?

I haven't seen a comparison, but I suspect it's cheaper to have the central heating on, with radiators in unused rooms turned off, than using the log burner
Not specifically, I check prices from differing retailers online and take up offers as / when available. Always try to keep a few bags in reserve. Last purchase of 10 bags was from B&M earlier this year. Has been a shortage of kiln-dried in the last couple of years, that and ending of wet/green-wood usage has certainly pushed up prices.

Last edited:
We're currently running the heating at 18°c with a few breaks during the day when it is off. That is not stopping our smart reader from registering combined energy costs of £7-8 per day, and sometimes nearer £10 when the washing m/c is used.

Has the cost of gas and electricity increased since Xmas, as before then we were using in the region of £5-£6.

We're currently running the heating at 18°c with a few breaks during the day when it is off. That is not stopping our smart reader from registering combined energy costs of £7-8 per day, and sometimes nearer £10 when the washing m/c is used.

Has the cost of gas and electricity increased since Xmas, as before then we were using in the region of £5-£6.
It went up 1 Jan I think, but was only a very small increase, a few quid per year for avg usage - should've had email from your provider

Prices did go up from 1st January but you also got £400 (67 in October and 66 from November to March) and with this offsetting against the price increase it technically rose by pence (if you used the same kwh) I'd imagine the smart readers are showing the cost you would be paying and the government payment is therefore not included.

Reactions: RHB

And 18c isn't that high, it's just about comfortable if you have layers on in this weather. I know people who are paying £400+ a month and not going overboard. It's shocking, the Gov £66 a month doesnt even scratch the surface.

And 18c isn't that high, it's just about comfortable if you have layers on in this weather. I know people who are paying £400+ a month and not going overboard. It's shocking, the Gov £66 a month doesnt even scratch the surface.
Me too

I just don't know how people are spending that much a month. They must have have either
  • Really big houses
  • Using lots of non-energy saving appliances (old Incandescent bulbs rather than LEDs)
  • Have too many un-necessary appliances on (lights on in a room or in a cabinet because it looks nice, but noone is in that room)
  • Their neighbours have managed to tab into their supply
  • Or they are running a drugs operation from their house
My Direct Debit is only £130 a month and whilst this isn't enough to cover the winter months, in the summer we overpay so over the course of the year it evens out.

My last bill was produced on the 4th January and it was for the months of November and December. Total for Gas and electric for 2 months.... £429.21 (Split £140.61 electricity and £288.90 for Gas)

I'm not fruggle with the heating either. House is warmed to 21c from 6 to 9, then from 9-4 it only comes on if it drops below 20c. Then from 4 it goes back up to 21c and from 7 its nudged up to 22c until 11 when it only comes on if it drops below 18c. the TV is on most days for the child that doesn't got to school, I work from home 3 days a week and use a laptop (plugged in) and a monitor.

Ours is a 3 bedroom with 2 adults and two young children. I understand that there may be some that are struggling but i can't understand how some people have such high bills.

Just paid last bill @ £350 inc the £67 discount. This was when all the family were at home over Christmas. Hoping to see next one below 300…

Just paid last bill @ £350 inc the £67 discount. This was when all the family were at home over Christmas. Hoping to see next one below 300…

Unlikely. Prices due to rise again in April. The £60 assistance is being taken away for most. Predicted to fall a bit in July down to what it is now.

Is that a month?
Yeah, but we just pay on receiving each bill. Cancelled the DD around 6 months ago, choosing to put a set amount in a savings account to cover worst case scenario rather than build up a credit on the energy account (which the likes of Scot Power / GB etc invest and make yet more money)

Yeah, but we just pay on receiving each bill. Cancelled the DD around 6 months ago, choosing to put a set amount in a savings account to cover worst case scenario rather than build up a credit on the energy account (which the likes of Scot Power / GB etc invest and make yet more money)
And Shell ,cancelled my direct debit today ,now £500 in credit after they increased mine again today ,gone over to variable DD

And Shell ,cancelled my direct debit today ,now £500 in credit after they increased mine again today ,gone over to variable DD
Ask for the £500 back too.

The energy companies are banking billions from customers which they hedge or invest making even more millions for their millionaire shareholders. Huge scam

Ask for the £500 back too.

The energy companies are banking billions from customers which they hedge or invest making even more millions for their millionaire shareholders. Huge scam
You're right on everything except the millionaire shareholders. Most shares are held by pension funds or individuals, most of which won't be millionaires. They're just ordinary people like you and me. (I used to have shares in British Gas.)

As for the pension funds, they pay pensions to you, me and pretty much anyone who has a pension.

That's not to say anyone should leave the money in their accounts. You shouldn't, you should ensure it is paid back so you earn interest on it, not them.

Thats about the same as me, £7-8 is about standard with the odd higher day. We do have the odd £5-6 day but that's when we are all out so not sure it's the heating cranking it up. Mine is set to 19.5 but we only have rads downstairs.

Up until October, we had warm Gas heating and an immersion for hot water so would have cost a fortune.

Had a combi boiler fitted to cover all heating and water so come thr summer months with the heating off altogether I should be down to £5 a day max i reckon

Back