• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anyone off to Poland for Euro 2012?

A group of 4 - 5 of us from my work are planning a trip to Poland for Euro 2012. Briefly, idea is:

- day 1: drive to Dortmund via Calais Jun 16, stay in hotel (footie bar in eve)
- day 2 and 3: next day travel to Poznan and spend two nights there on camp site. The second day is the Italy v Ireland game which we will try and get tickets for but if not will just sink more Guinness in the bars with the Irish, proudly displaying the Suffolk Shrimper flag wherever we may be
- day 4: drive to Katowice or Krakow in afternoon and stay in hotel (footie bar in eve)
- day 5: get up early, visit Auschwitz, travel pm poss as far as Leipzig and stay in camp site in eve. No footie that eve so just beers round a camp fire
- day 6: back to Ipshite

What you reckon?

Anyone else planning to go to Euro 2012?

Anyone else been to Poland and has tips re where to stay, getting in and around the place, ideas etc?

Any help appreciated. Cheers

SS (better not use those initials on day 5)

Been to Poland a few times. Account for taking hours to get through the borders, the queues are awful. Also you'll find the roads are really substandard, so when you expect to be going at 60-70mph, you'll more likely be doing 40mph. Auschwitz is a must see, even though it'll put a significant downer on things. In Krakow keep your eyes peeled because the best bars are hidden away, just subtle doorways where everything is underground. We stayed here in Krakow, would definitely recommend it, great location and good value for money.

Stayed in Leipzig too which is ok, but nothing spectacular. I assume on Day 2 you're planning to stop in Germany on your way to Poznan?

So not going to see any lacklustre England games where we struggle against the might of some East European minnows?

So not going to see any lacklustre England games where we struggle against the might of some East European minnows?

If SS were to drive to the Ukraine its doubtful he'd be back before the start of next season, its even further than bloody Carlisle that place :smile:

Just booked my flight to Poland. Staying in Warsaw for the first week. I'm not camping, like Suffolk Shrimper is, but had I realised the price of hotels prior to booking then I might have done. A week all-in in Cancun is much cheaper than the two star ****-hole in Warsaw we just booked.

I'm off to Ukraine with Silencer for the first two England games, we fly into Donetsk for the France game, we'll probably get an overnight train to kiev a day or so after, and spend a couple of days in kiev, before watching the Sweden game. We opted against going back to Donetsk for the Ukraine game. We'll probably go back out for the Semi's should we get there. All in all I think we have 6 days in the Ukraine.

Imagine it's gonna be a bit of an eye opener although the stadiums in Kiev and Donetsk look immense.

Back