• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anyone Remember

Aberdeen Shrimper

The Man who sold the world
I am looking for some guys i uesd to work with at a printers in Basildon. During my time there It had various names including Nuffield Web Offset and Capricorn print.

The Printers was situated in Hovefields Court near Burnt Mills Industrial Estate if I remember correctly.

The names i remember from there are.....

Simon Chandler
Dave Woolf
Keith Newman

We are talking about 20 years ago though!!

I am looking for some guys i uesd to work with at a printers in Basildon. During my time there It had various names including Nuffield Web Offset and Capricorn print.

The Printers was situated in Hovefields Court near Burnt Mills Industrial Estate if I remember correctly.

Simon Chandler
Dave Woolf
Keith Newman

Who owned the firm? Might be able to find out that way

Who owned the firm? Might be able to find out that way

Not to sure Stevo...

The one name i can not remember is the initial name when i started there, it changed hands about 3 to 4 times and I was only there a few years but worked with a big team of split shifts and night workers....really diverse guys.

A load of printers in Essex have gone out of business over the years.
If you knew one of the bosses i could see if he was still trading

A load of printers in Essex have gone out of business over the years.
If you knew one of the bosses i could see if he was still trading

We never got to meet them, we all worked in Pre Press and had managers that over saw the 3 shifts, there was about 20+ on each shift. One of the big Publications we did was AL Hawadeth International....it was a weekly Arabic magazine.

There were a few older guys working there who joined from Eden Fishers (Printers) in Southend...across from the Fire Station on Sutton Road.

I think that another one of the many guises the company went under was Thames Mouth

Were you a compositor, machine minder or a machine assistant (Natsopa)?. I worked at Essex Web Offset from 1973-1989 as a machine minder (5 year apprenticeship), and in the late eighties some of our minders went to work at Thamesmouth. If Keith Newman was a compositor, then he came to Essex Web in the mid eighties. He would be in his late fifties now. At the end of May, there was a reunion of ex Eden Fisher, Essex Web and Yellow Advertiser staff at Southend Rugby club. Over 100 of us attended. The majority were comps from Eden Fishers and the YA.

Were you a compositor, machine minder or a machine assistant (Natsopa)?. I worked at Essex Web Offset from 1973-1989 as a machine minder (5 year apprenticeship), and in the late eighties some of our minders went to work at Thamesmouth. If Keith Newman was a compositor, then he came to Essex Web in the mid eighties. He would be in his late fifties now. At the end of May, there was a reunion of ex Eden Fisher, Essex Web and Yellow Advertiser staff at Southend Rugby club. Over 100 of us attended. The majority were comps from Eden Fishers and the YA.

I was a comp....then 4 colour final film planner, this is back in the day when it was a craft......cutting mask and laying tints at the correct angle. Now its Mac's and litho plate printers apparently! :(

My dad was at Eden Fisher for years.....known as Bunty, he joined in 1969 with Tony Lowe. I don't suppose John "The Leg" was at the reunion was he?

I was a comp....then 4 colour final film planner, this is back in the day when it was a craft......cutting mask and laying tints at the correct angle. Now its Mac's and litho plate printers apparently! :(

My dad was at Eden Fisher for years.....known as Bunty, he joined in 1969 with Tony Lowe. I don't suppose John "The Leg" was at the reunion was he?

We were both in the industry, when as you rightly say, it was a skilled craft. After 22 years i walked away from it, disillusioned as to what it was becoming. That was 17 1/2 years ago, and i have been employed in the self adhesive label industry ever since (although whether the company is still around in a years time is somewhat doubtful). Unfortunately at the reunion, i did'nt hear anyone being referred to, or called 'John the leg'.
Have to add that in the eighties, we earned very good money, probably more than what some current day printers earn, if what i hear is correct.

We were both in the industry, when as you rightly say, it was a skilled craft. After 22 years i walked away from it, disillusioned as to what it was becoming. That was 17 1/2 years ago, and i have been employed in the self adhesive label industry ever since (although whether the company is still around in a years time is somewhat doubtful). Unfortunately at the reunion, i did'nt hear anyone being referred to, or called 'John the leg'.
Have to add that in the eighties, we earned very good money, probably more than what some current day printers earn, if what i hear is correct.

My dad said to me this evening that the company was also called Perivans back in the day??

Yeah....I know what you mean about the money, I was earning an obscene amount of money at 24....went and brought a 3 bedroom house, had money laying about everywhere and thought it would last for ever. 3 years later i was redundant and struggling to meet all the repayments. Still, I did have a ball!!!

John the "leg" was called so due to the lack of a right leg!! lovely old bloke, who would do anything for anyone but the younger lads did wind him up a lot, when he was resting his stump on the many of the double shifts we pulled, they used to hide his leg.....One of the apprentices went out on to the main road at about 11pm at night and laid on the floor next to his FS1E moped with John's leg about 5 foot away from him just to freak passing traffic.

Simon Chandler
Dave Woolf
Keith Newman

Was Simon Chandler ex Southend High School? I believe he was in my brother's year. From what I gather/remember he either left before his O Levels, or dropped out. He would be about 45 now.

Let me know if this rings a bell. I'm seeing my brother tomorrow at the Northampton match. I can speak to him...

Back