• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Zone Update Apology from "The REAL Southend United Fans"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcdeV

Youth Team
As a member of that Facebook group I'd just like to try and clarify a few things. Firstly it was mainly created for a laugh last year when the crowd started boo-ing our own team early in the season. The group was made to take a satirical view of the situation and show how fickle the roots hall crowd seems to be. We never really intended anyone else to join the group other than the people we knew who would get the joke.

We've all been following southend for some time, and attend as many home and away matches as we possibly can. It seems that some people have got misconceptions about us as a group however.
None of us started, or joined in with, the “GlasgowShrimper” chant at Carlisle everyone is ranting about. We just heard it and from behind us and it became a memorable moment in the trip, we thought it was one mate signing it to another and thought it was funny in that kind of setting, so it was quoted at some point in the group.

We fully support the team through thick and thin and it’s quite upsetting that people have now seen the group and started chastising us for something that was just meant to be a laugh between mates and not at all sinister. Perhaps our sarcastic criticism of Southend’s fickle fans isn’t as easily recognisable in text as it could be, but all I can do is apologise for that on the group’s behalf.

I tried to get this statement in before the other thread got locked, but I just wanted to make sure people see it before jumping to conclusions. If anyone wants to discuss it, feel free to PM me as I'm sure nobody on the zone wants another thread to turn into a cascade of abuse.

Similarly as my name seems to have been bandied about, if anyone wants to talk about this then please pm me too.

I admire your spirit young man, but I really think there are some things that need retracting on FB.

As a member of that Facebook group I'd just like to try and clarify a few things. Firstly it was mainly created for a laugh last year when the crowd started boo-ing our own team early in the season. The group was made to take a satirical view of the situation and show how fickle the roots hall crowd seems to be. We never really intended anyone else to join the group other than the people we knew who would get the joke.

We've all been following southend for some time, and attend as many home and away matches as we possibly can. It seems that some people have got misconceptions about us as a group however.
None of us started, or joined in with, the “GlasgowShrimper” chant at Carlisle everyone is ranting about. We just heard it and from behind us and it became a memorable moment in the trip, we thought it was one mate signing it to another and thought it was funny in that kind of setting, so it was quoted at some point in the group.

We fully support the team through thick and thin and it’s quite upsetting that people have now seen the group and started chastising us for something that was just meant to be a laugh between mates and not at all sinister. Perhaps our sarcastic criticism of Southend’s fickle fans isn’t as easily recognisable in text as it could be, but all I can do is apologise for that on the group’s behalf.

I tried to get this statement in before the other thread got locked, but I just wanted to make sure people see it before jumping to conclusions. If anyone wants to discuss it, feel free to PM me as I'm sure nobody on the zone wants another thread to turn into a cascade of abuse.

What you got to remember is that anybody was able to see them comments if you are going to slate people behind their backs make sure you keep it between your mates.

What you got to remember is that anybody was able to see them comments if you are going to slate people behind their backs make sure you keep it between your mates.

That's true, a definite oversight on our part. We're not looking to cause any type of division between us and The Blue Voice or any other fans. We were probably too immature to realise the implications of some of our comments on facebook at the time. They were meant to be taken in jest.

Yeah like really funny.

Take your chocolate bear and satchel and go back to school.

I dont know who we've slated? Except Tilson, Ron Martin and a few players and to be honest, we dont even mean that. Im personally sorry for anything ill said of any southend fans as its technically my group, and il make sure all are deleted from the wall.

I dont know who we've slated? Except Tilson, Ron Martin and a few players and to be honest, we dont even mean that. Im personally sorry for anything ill said of any southend fans as its technically my group, and il make sure all are deleted from the wall.

I think you will find it is the personal remarks directed against one of our respected posters and the comments about burning TBV flags that have really riled people.

Why is everybody being so aggressive? These guys have taken the time to come on here and make a sincere apology. Everybody makes mistakes so let's forgive and forget!

Agreed that they were in the wrong but they have come on here and apologised, obviously more issues need to be settled but starting another argument and another thread closed is not going to help.​

fair play for the apology lads, i think it's Rich (GlasgowSUFC) who you should be apologising to

As I said earlier, it is also the comments about burning the flags, which can be interpreted as direct enticement, which have left some not feeling too pleased. That's not to say I consider that more important, Rich is one of the most decent guys around and simply doesn't deserve such treatment.

Ok, seems fair. Glasgow Shrimper i'm really sorry for what has been said on my Facebook group's wall about you. This was purely a quote from the Carlisle game, which was not made by us or condoned by us. We assumed whoever was saying that was your friend, or even with you at the time. Clearly that was not the case and thus it is not funny and in fact quite sinister and unpleasant. The fact that its posted on our wall is not because we agree with it, but instead because it was a memorable factor about the trip. Im sorry if it caused offence, and il make sure in future i monitor comments made a lot more carefully.

Up the blues

Similarly about the flags, that was meant to be tongue in cheek from a certain member of our group as we were joking with the Blue Voice Facebook group at the time. This hasnt been seen as a joke by the majority and so i can only appologise, and it has been deleted.

Why is everybody being so aggressive? These guys have taken the time to come on here and make a sincere apology. Everybody makes mistakes so let's forgive and forget!

well someone on here thinks he's hard if he's aggressive towards anyone on here lol i think he forgets this is a fans forum not a website that he rules!
everyone's allowed there opinion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back