• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFCFANS

Coach
Post updates from today here.. This one's a close one to call - I'm going for a narrow Hall victory :)

Not going to be able to see or hear any news at school so could someone who has my mobile number please text me?

** Don't worry, sorted!**

Last edited:
I think the sentence will be commuted down to a suspended one. Irrespective of footballing issues, as Groyney says, justice must be done; but I think the original judge did bring the footballing issue into it. To describe a kick from a footballer as being akin to a punch from a boxer isn't really that accurate. If I had to receive a kick at all, I'd rather have it from a footballer on a night out wearing regular shoes than some yob with steel toe cap boots. Plus the fact that it isn't actually necessary to kick the ball that hard in order to become a footballer; timing and the motion of the ball does more to influence the speed of the shot than simply the power in the leg.

It's also I would imagine a pretty regular scene in any town on a Saturday night and we don't see every Tom Dick and Harry locked up (although we probably should!).

So that's my call. 20 weeks suspended.

Agree Mark, I'd be very surprised if he's sent down. Though I think there'll be some add ons if it IS a suspended sentence.

I'm not so sure. My guess is there will be a reduced custody term. To commute to anything less would show what a complete *** the law is. I'd be out of a job and my career in ruins if I did something similar. Pro footballers are a privileged and talented few. Though most of them have short careers they are reasonably well rewarded for it even at our level. In my eyes that comes with an added responsibility to keep yourself out of the public eye. Ryan Giggs is an extreme example of this. Alex Ferguson would have him out on his arse, a bit bizarre when he has the likes of Rooney committing assault on the pitch. I still can't believe football pitch is seemingly immune from the treatment of the rest of us not just in personal conduct but also in accounting and tax regulation though HMRC are trying their best.

Perhaps the FA or other governing bodies should issue an overriding code of conduct similar to the sort that most of the rest of us are used to which in this case would be summary dismissal.

Our Court form thus far has been better than our home form (albeit courts have been our 2nd home recently) and I will go for a Hall win.

is it his first offence? if it is I think he may get off but, as previously mentioned, with some pretty harsh sundries, although only serving a few days for what he was accused of &/or found guilty of would be fortunate. he's a top player and was really good at chesterfield away when a young lad got whacked by a stray shot at half time, walking into our end and speaking to the upset youngster. class!

According to the court listings he is in Court 3 , which starts at 10am, after an un-finished case. The case after his is listed at "not starting before 10.30" so I would think it would be resolved quite early.

Eric Cantona

Was he convicted in court or just by the FA ? Either supporting my case the football is a law unto itself or forcing me to eat my words. I haven't googled the other name mentioned yet. Happy to eat my words but I have an abiding memory of Fergie stamping down on any transgression outside of a football pitch.

Hope he gets a suspended sentence , not just for him , but our season is over without him

I couldn't care less about how it affects the team, the due process of law should be the only consideration. If the appeal judge passes sentence based on the established facts of the case, and that alone, which is certainly debatable with the original sentencing, that's fine by me. Football should be an irrelevance and any supporters looking to only how it affects their team should reconsider their own values.

With regard to Eric Cantona he was originally given a custodial sentence. It was, however, relatively easy for his appeal solicitor as the original judge publicly stated "I'm making an example of you."

Last edited:
Was he convicted in court or just by the FA ? Either supporting my case the football is a law unto itself or forcing me to eat my words. I haven't googled the other name mentioned yet. Happy to eat my words but I have an abiding memory of Fergie stamping down on any transgression outside of a football pitch.

Cantona was convcted by the Courts and eventually received 120 hours community service.

Ravel Morrison is said to be the most exciting talent that has come through the system at Man United since Paul Scholes, if not George Best. At 18 he's been caught stealing from the Club and from his teammates, he's served a long club suspension after being stopped in his mate's car with firearms and drugs in the boot and was recently in court charged with intimidating a witness, which he pleaded guilty to but somehow avoided jail.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereve...escapes_jail_after_threatening_robbery_victim

Since then he's supposedly regularly missed training sessions and has told the Club that he has a contract lined up at Arsenal if they sack him. So they won't.

Since then he's supposedly regularly missed training sessions and has told the Club that he has a contract lined up at Arsenal if they sack him. So they won't.

Where did you hear that? I was under the impression that his attitude has rapidly improved since the witness intimidation case.

Back