• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Applying for jobs after uni.

Emu

Jess PHB
I will be finishing my Sports degree in June and am currently trying to write a letter to companies within the sports industry to try and find a full time job.

The kind of job i am looking for would ideally be in the Sport Development profession, but i understand that this will not happen over night so i am trying to apply to everything and anything.

So does anyone have any advice on what to include in my letter/CV and where i can write to. So far i have thought of Sport England, The FA, UK Sport, Southend Council, Chelmsford Council, Creating Excellence (an office in SWF).

I do not drive so ideally the place needs to be near by or in London.

Also does anybody know of any weekly/monthly publications where sport industry vacancies are listed.

Em.

I know personally the man behind the "fit and proper persons test" who is also a development officer at Sport England. (He was my flatmate at uni)

I'll ask him if you want -

I notice you've included the FA in that list, well, why not the organisational head offices of other high profile sports in the UK? Hockey, tennis, rugby, cycling etc? Seb Coe, for the Olympic connection? Throw your net as wide as you possibly can would be my advice.

Em I know when I finished studying my lecturers were pretty rubbish about being employed in the sports field, but I would certainly ask your head of year/school etc and see if they can be any help. For example one of my lecturers on physiotherapy is the physio for the para-olympic basketball team and I spent time in my last year just helping them out (for free) so if any of your lecturers have contacts in the area they may be able to help you.

CV wise put as much as you can, it is pretty obvious but try and gear it around what you looking to do. Don't just write one CV and send it to everyone, if you are sending to the F.A talk about you involvement in setting up SZLFC and any other involvement you may of had, but you certainly need to adapt your CV for each company you contact.
I don't know if you have had the oppotunity over the last three years to do something a bit different to the average sport (not sure what the second part of your degree is called) but if you have you need to make a big thing about that as that is the sort of stuff that will make you stand out amongst all the other people who are also sending their CV's off. I will email some of my old tutours for you and see if they have any ideas although my degree went down a bit of a different route to you and I would think most of the stuff they will know is about the north of England but you never know.

OBL - Although looking at other National Governing Bodies is a great idea, the sports i have a lot of experience in (excluding football) appear to be based in areas that will take 2hours plus to travel to via train, and as i do not drive its just bot feesible, also from the work i have done at uni it seems Badminton and Athletics NGBs offices are based in the one area (seems a little silly to me!). I have included writing to the offices about 2012 so thank you for that help :)

Bambi - any help would be great, i didnt even think about adding the SZLFC info, how silly!! But as you say, the tutors are pretty rubbish, getting help from them about my diss at the moment is like getting water out of a stone!

Em.

Em, my best mate is a physio at Spurs. I'll ask him if there are any jobs going up there

I would advise you to go back and get a degree in medicine and then try again. Will probably be a piece of **** getting a job then.

Back