• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What are Crewe?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reg Martin

No Relation
A quick browse on the Crewe forum suggests they regard themselves as northerners.
Most of the assorted Smoggies, Mackems and Geordies I endure on a daily basis would regard the idea of Cheshire being in the north as incomprehensible. They just about accept Yorkshire and Lancashire as being northern and regard Cheshire as dangerously close to being Welsh.
People from Birmingham have no problem with calling themselves Midlanders, but people who live north of Brum but south of Lancashire and Yorkshire do seem to have a bit of an identity crisis - many of them want to be northerners but aren't accepted as such by the genuine article.
So I put it to the good people of shrimperzone to decide on the status of our much loved chums from Crewe

Liverpool must be welsh in that case, they are closer to Wales.

Not really massively North though as they arent much further north than Nottingham, then again not much further South than Liverpool or Manchester.

I class it as the boundary to the north - know a few people from work from Crewe and their accent is more Manc than Brum.

they do sound like mancs to be fair..

it's in the north west..so obviously northern.

Early voting is awarding them the dubious 'honour' of northerners.
Just another thought on this - I knew someone from Mansfield who was always very insistent she was a Midlander and definitely not Northern and checking on a map, Mansfield is slightly north of Crewe
Perhaps the whole country is just confused.

North of the midlands is north IMO (Nottingham is the top of the midlands). People from the north think London is as far south as you can go - the delusion works both ways!

In the excellent Stuart Maconie book "Pies and Prejudice", he undertakes a journey around the north of England, looking to rediscover his roots after years of living in that London. After lots of wondering where to start his journey and where the line for 'the north' might start, he settles on Crewe.

That's good enough for me.

Living as I do about seven miles north of Watford I'm not liking this 'Watford is the north' nonsense either :sad:

Back