• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Are our players as fit as they should be?

Beefy

Life President
MOTHERWELL gaffer Mark McGhee has promised his hard working squad a mid-season break abroad but not until they've clinched a top-six finish.

With their fixture congestion easing McGhee says his men deserve the trip for reaching third place eight games before the split. He said: "When we're no longer playing twice a week I'll take them somewhere sunny. However, we must be certain of finishing in the top half first."

McGhee revealed full-back Steven Hammell, who re-signed from Southend last month, won't be at his best until next season, saying: "He's not as fit as the other lads. He needs a proper pre-season work-out."

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-n...l-fc/2008/02/24/hol-to-go-for-78057-20329880/

--------

Surprised to read that. There's no reason why our players shouldn't be as fit as those up north.

Hammell missed a fair proportion of pre-season and the start of the campaign after being crocked at Crawley though didn't he?

Hammell missed a fair proportion of pre-season and the start of the campaign after being crocked at Crawley though didn't he?

I would imagine that would be the reason. Hammell was getting through games for us fine in my opinion, but we didnt have 2 games a week as much as they are, so maybe we did not notice the full effect of him missing out as he did

He played from the middle of October to the end of January. If he hadn't made up for the curtailment of his pre-season by then, he certainly should have.

I suspect he's not been as good as people at Motherwell remembered him being and fitness is a good way to offer an excuse for that.

Always thought Hammell carried a bit of timber. Not our fault- look at Tommy Black!

Last edited:
Maybe the fact Hammell has had to relocate back north again recently has taken an edge off his fitness? Moving house is always draining at the best of times, both physically and mentally.

Considering the traditionally accepted diet of the Scots I'd have expected him to go back in the peek of fitness. Too many fish and chips down the sea front perhaps?

I suspect he's not been as good as people at Motherwell remembered him being and fitness is a good way to offer an excuse for that.

Reading their last few match reports he always seems to be in the thick of the action and has setup a few goals.

looked it against leeds fitness could be in the mind?
premier league players look fitter 30k/100k a week train harder .
if u pay more u work em harder make em leaner make em fitter.
i would get fitter for work if paid lets say 20k a week wouldnt we alll

It must be wonderful for him playing at Home in front of 4,000 odd crowds waiting for the couple of fixtures each season against the 'old firm' just to brighten up the monotony. Hope for he's sake they get into europe and draw a nice easy team from Iceland to get a taste before being brought back down to earth by a decent side.

It must be wonderful for him playing at Home in front of 4,000 odd crowds waiting for the couple of fixtures each season against the 'old firm' just to brighten up the monotony. Hope for he's sake they get into europe and draw a nice easy team from Iceland to get a taste before being brought back down to earth by a decent side.

Says a lot about Hammell and the reasons he left in my opinion.

Obviously unsettled down here with a young family and wanted to get back to his roots.

Thats far better than jumping ship to go to a bigger club.

i think our players are as fit as they need to be... as we are out of all the cups, there is time for recouperation and resting instead of hard-core training. we have a small squad and giving players time to rest from knocks and treat any injuries is key. hammell might not have been fit enough for motherwell but i think it's comparing oranges with lemons, they are playing more games and so more is required of stevie, i haven't seen anything to really suggest fatigue from our players, although if i was to have any concerns it might be with macca and baileys ability to keep up their workrates and standards... when they have had poor games we have suffered, we need them to be at 100% every game

Says a lot about Hammell and the reasons he left in my opinion.

Obviously unsettled down here with a young family and wanted to get back to his roots.

Thats far better than jumping ship to go to a bigger club.

Plus his Nan is terminally ill too allegedly!

Back