• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Are Ties a thing of the past.

Options.

• I was that bloke in the brown shirt and pink tie. Meet me after work for a leveller you knob.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
Had a bit of a hangover today after a heavy night out last night so got the later train. As I sat down I noticed that of the four blokes in my row of seats not one wore a tie.

Now I personally have not wore a tie for work for 4 years or so, unless it is a really crucial meeting.

I hate them - Stiffling, out of date and some of the colour combos you see now a days are just shocking.

Today I saw a man wearing a chocolate brown shirt with a pink tie !!! What was he thinking the nobber.

Do you think ties are fast becoming obsolete except of course for weddings etc etc.

DtS

Last edited:
Hate wearing a tie. Fortunately I'm a scruffy get at work, so no need. Even in important meetings most of the men are without ties.

Ties are as relevant to modern life as bowler hats. When you actually think about them, they're ridiculous. A tight knot of silk wrapped around to constrict your breath and make you uncomfortable.

Two things killed ties, in my humble opinion.

1, British men and their inability to look good in anything. Hundreds of thousands of men turning up for meetings in ties with cartoon characters on them. There's a good way to kill a trend.

2, Halfords employees wearing ties. Seriously, I'm not going to respect you, bike-boy. Not now, not ever. You're wearing a clip-on tie, for God's sake. What are you trying to tell me? That underneath the bike grease and the acne, you're actually a bank manager? No. Get out of my sight.

I used to work at Halfords.

:D That sums up my experience with an arrogant spotty **** in Halfords perfectly.

1, British men and their inability to look good in anything. Hundreds of thousands of men turning up for meetings in ties with cartoon characters on them. There's a good way to kill a trend.

One of my IT teachers at uni has one of these ties. He comes to class in jeans, white shirt, black blazer/jacket, and to top it all off.......a Mickey Mouse tie.

I think it's a shame we are seeing the demise of the type of retired old bloke that wears a tie every day and arrives at the paper shop at 6am to pick up their paper.

One of my IT teachers at uni has one of these ties. He comes to class in jeans, white shirt, black blazer/jacket, and to top it all off.......a Mickey Mouse tie.

IT staff (as opposed to highly skilled developers like myself) always wear bad ties.

Homer Simpson, Bugs Bunny and Roadrunner are all par for the course.

I think ties still serve their purpose for important meetings, weddings etc but on the whole I think they are a little outdated. I feel sorry for blokes who have to dress smartly for work as they are very limited. Women have so many options when it comes to work clothes....where as a smart pair of trousers and shirt seems to be the only thing to wear if you are male with the only choice being long or short sleeved shirt or to wear or remove suit jacket.

IT staff (as opposed to highly skilled developers like myself) always wear bad ties.

Homer Simpson, Bugs Bunny and Roadrunner are all par for the course.

Have to agree with that, and jumpers. Mr Patronising, my other IT teacher, looks very ill and always wears disgusting old fashioned knitted jumpers which are about 5 sizes too big. And he's only in his mid to late 30's.

But my dissertation lecturer had quite a nice taste in clothes for him, if I may say so myself. :D

I think ties still serve their purpose for important meetings, weddings etc but on the whole I think they are a little outdated. I feel sorry for blokes who have to dress smartly for work as they are very limited. Women have so many options when it comes to work clothes....where as a smart pair of trousers and shirt seems to be the only thing to wear if you are male with the only choice being long or short sleeved shirt or to wear or remove suit jacket.

Women are much better catered for when it comes to work clothes and they can get away with shopping at high street stores.

Short sleeved shirts in the office?! Surely a resounding no no....?! IMO they are just wrong in the workplace!! Another poll choice for you DtS!

Well I dont think they are particularly good on the eye but I have seen a few men in my office sporting a short sleeved number today.......

Women are much better catered for when it comes to work clothes and they can get away with shopping at high street stores.

Yes I would definately agree with you there. It is a lot easier to find clothes for work in high street stores esp stores such as River Island which offers a lot of reasonably priced work attire for women....yet men who have to wear suits probably have to shell out a whole lot more to dress for work....

A well-cut suit, the touch of rich cotton and a thick silk tie. These are all pleasures of life, and you're all denying yourselves. 'Tis a shame...

Matt

I hate them. When I was working in the City, I had an argument with my boss about wearing a tie. I said that I shouldn't have to, seeing as I was stuck in a basement with no contact with the public but he said that it was company policy that ties should be worn. I retorted that ties were only functional to hold the shirt together at the collar and since I had buttons, they were no longer applicable. He insisted, so I asked whether it was important what I wore around my neck to keep the shirt together; he said no. So the following day a colleague and I arrived at work both wearing a rope around our necks. I never wore a tie again ...

I think it's a shame we are seeing the demise of the type of retired old bloke that wears a tie every day and arrives at the paper shop at 6am to pick up their paper.

They are still around but are too scared to go to the paper shop at 6am in case they bump into a load of ****ed blikes coming home from a club that shut at 5am!

i only wear a tie at wedding, Funerals etc.. i havnt had to wear a suit at work for years but funnily enough was considering buying a couple for work recently

Back